U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 7,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm not really understanding this thread. If the OP wanted to badmouth Priuses why ask about what model year to get?

I have a 2008 that I bought when it had about 24k on it and I'm up to about 168k. It's still incredibly reliable, runs great, always gets me where I'm going. I've lost a little bit of mileage--this winter it's usually been around 39.5 mpg, but for a car that does everything I need and has been paid off for maybe five years I'm not complaining.

Everything I've read tells me that the initial scares about how much it will cost to replace the battery are nothing more than that--they go for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles, and the cost is less than you'd think.

If the title is a serious question, I would say the answer is to do what you do with any other used car: find the car with the fewest miles (more important to me than years) with the features you want within your price range. Then, just out of curiosity, figure out of a brand new one is close enough to the price of a used one to make it worthwhile.
Did your 2008 Prius have headlight problems?

What is the cost of the battery?

Is the miles not as important for Prius because they are famous for being reliable?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM

10,226 posts, read 11,041,977 times
Thanks.

We've never had headline problems.

We have had to replace the 12-volt battery (just like a regular car battery) and it was a bit more expensive than a regular car battery. Still, you can figure on that for any car. We haven't had to replace the storage battery. The prices you see quoted for them a scary, like thousands, but most Prius owners either buy them reconditioned, or from a junkyard, or find someone who can replace only the cells that are bad, all for a much lower price.

Interesting point about the miles. I've never thought of it that way but it might make sense. If I were looking for a new used Prius I would assume that high miles might mean more wear and tear on the other elements of the car, but maybe that's not the best way to evaluate it.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM

4,916 posts, read 2,384,733 times
I bought a 2019 Toyota Prius Technology AWD-e Advanced Package this morning - so tempted to shout "April Fools" after signing the paperwork! I'll report back on how it is. I already know how cool it is when you're driving and the engine is silent. I've never had one before, but I wanted an economical, environmental, reliable and safe hybrid car with AWD. I hope it meets my expectations.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 AM

7,897 posts, read 3,326,453 times
Iíve had the 08 Prius. The car never was a problem except for the seats. I just couldnít sit in it for more than a half hour or my back would hurt. Strange but the Corolla I rented had better seats and it was much more comfortable.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Iíve had the 08 Prius. The car never was a problem except for the seats. I just couldnít sit in it for more than a half hour or my back would hurt. Strange but the Corolla I rented had better seats and it was much more comfortable.
Was it a hybrid? I'm curious about experience with Prius Hybrid. I hope they've sorted out the seats.

I bought the first year AWD-e, which I know is risky. It's never smart to buy the first issue, although Miata was good in the first year. AWD-e is good on start up and up to 70kph. I need to see it to believe it.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:13 AM

7,897 posts, read 3,326,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Was it a hybrid? I'm curious about experience with Prius Hybrid. I hope they've sorted out the seats.

I bought the first year AWD-e, which I know is risky. It's never smart to buy the first issue, although Miata was good in the first year. AWD-e is good on start up and up to 70kph. I need to see it to believe it.
The Prius is a hybrid. Itís an excellent car. Very little expense to keep it up. I bought it new and had it for 5 years. Great car if you donít mind the seats...

Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM

10,226 posts, read 11,041,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Prius is a hybrid. Itís an excellent car. Very little expense to keep it up. I bought it new and had it for 5 years. Great car if you donít mind the seats...
I don't have a problem with the seats. That's an issue that is highly individual, so it's always a good idea to spend enough time sitting in the seats to make sure they're comfortable to you.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

I picked up my 2019 Prius Tech last week and it is amazing! It's so quiet, smooth, easy to handle. I'm supposed to wait for 300 km to use the battery power, so still curious what that is like. I'm still learning the user interface, but one of the cool features is that the speed (speedometer) is projected like a hologram onto the windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion