U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:36 AM

28 posts, read 7,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Overall, I have enjoyed the Prius I drive. I inherited it from my mother, who bought it new in 2008. She had problems with the headlight early on and they have continued for me. The headlight rarely works on the driver's side. I have already spent $500 trying to resolve this issue by replacing the entire headlight. The new light worked for 2 days and then the new headlight stopped working! Very unsafe situation on rural roads at night! I now read that this is a recurring problem with the Toyota Prius especially in the time period from 2006 to 2009. My car has high miles so I am not sure how to resolve this.

Quote:
It all started in 2009 when I was pulled over for having a headlight out. I brought the car in to Toyota Riverhead where I purchased the vehicle. They told me there was nothing wrong with the headlamp. I then purchased a HID bulb at the advice of a local mechanic that i knew. He replaced the HID bulb and finally the headlamp was working correctly. When i called Toyota and told them i replaced the bulb and other parts of the assembly they told me to send in the paperwork and i would be reimbursed considering it was determined that there WAS DEFINITELY an issue with the HID HEADLIGHT nationwide I had received a letter from Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance Ca with a headline on the letter 2006-2009 MODEL YEAR PRIUS HID HEADLIGHT CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM. I NEVER WAS REIMBURSED. After many back and forth emails and letters - i gave up! It was like a full time job. Fast forward 2014 and the left driver side headlamp stops functioning. I bring it in and have it replaced at the cost of almost 400.00. June 2016 passenger headlamp starts flickering again!! I bring it in and am told that i need a new bulb AND A NEW BALLAST. Total cost with labor 550+. Luckily i have a file on the Prius and have reviewed all the paperwork and now realize that that headlamp will have cost me over 1000.00 once replaced AGAIN! I WILL NEVER BUY A PRIUS OR FOR THAT MATTER A TOYOTA EVER AGAIN. The reason i never brought the car in for service to Toyota Riverhead after the first 50,000 miles was they never owned up to the initial promise they made me when i purchased the vehicle -which was i would have a loaner car whenever i serviced the car. THAT NEVER WAS THE CASE. THEY NEVER HAD A VEHICLE AVAILABLE. I will use social media and my PRESS contacts to always discourage anyone from buying a Toyota. anyone have any suggestions on getting reimbursed???????
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota...ctioning.shtml

Quote:
I found in an online search that this is a common problem for the 2005-2009 models, but has been fixed with the 2010 model. From other reports it seems the problem is not in the headlight itself - replacing it never fixed the problem. What isn't clear is whether the problem is in a simple a faulty connection or in the computer (circuit-board) that controls the headlight. The computer seems more likely, but how do we find out? WHAT DID TOYOTA DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM IN THE 2010 MODEL?
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota...heir_own.shtml

It seems 2005 to 2009 models have headlight problems.

Do you have to worry about replacing the battery on Prius which could be expensive?

Seems like I found the answer to my own question:
Quote:
If you're a proud Prius owner you may run into hybrid battery failure. Toyota Prius battery replacement cost isn't cheap, and can cost you between $2,300 and $2,600 for a Toyota Prius battery pack. That's without labor or inspections costs. Replacing a hybrid battery in a Prius is one of the drawbacks to saving all that money on miles per gallon. Because of the nature of the hybrid batteries for Prius', replacement is usually the only option, so a Prius battery cost is just another hidden repair cost for the car owners
https://carbrain.com/Blog/hybrid-bat...r-replacement/

Last edited by Marchwagon; 02-15-2019 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:30 AM

429 posts, read 83,118 times
Why? .... I don’t think I really want to know why you seem to think that a car like that is a wise choice.
The really are absolutely terrible cars ...

Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 AM

407 posts, read 115,365 times
Taxi companies around here really like the 2nd gen Prius; they often rack up more than half a million miles on them with minimal maintenance, and fuel economy is great. Probably the most attractive part is that their transmissions have zero wear parts and can run virtually forever if you take care of them. The 2nd gen are known to burn oil with higher miles but as long as you keep it topped off, and change the transmission fluid on Toyota's schedule, they should last forever.

The batteries do occasionally have issues but it typically isn't too bad. Most typically a single cell goes bad in the pack. The computer tells you which cell is bad, and you swap it out for a new $40 cell. It's a little time consuming to take the pack apart but very doable. If you need an entirely new pack they can be found for $1,000 or less, and it's something you can probably do yourself if you're savvy enough to change the oil or replace a headlight. I could probably swap one in 45 minutes if I already had my tools out and the new pack nearby.

Dashboard-Light's statistics place it as the single most reliable compact:

Old 02-15-2019, 07:24 AM

11,936 posts, read 9,959,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Why? .... I donít think I really want to know why you seem to think that a car like that is a wise choice.
The really are absolutely terrible cars ...
Prius are some of the most reliable cars on the market. What would you recommend for reliability over a used Prius?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 534,235 times
I've never owned a Prius, but from what I understand, you won't need to worry about replacing the battery pack until well over 200,000 miles.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 AM

11,533 posts, read 21,080,031 times
The battery isn't mileage driven it's time. In fact the more miles the better within reason because it means it's been kept used. The 2010 redesign is nice but the previous model year will give you more value.

There was an issue with the inverters in the 2010 redesign however most people had the software corrected or inverter replaced by now. Ours failed a few years ago ago 75k. Replaced under warranty and we even bought it used.

I would buy another Prius, not the C though. But the regular hatchback. Quality is good.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM

2,152 posts, read 916,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Taxi companies around here really like the 2nd gen Prius; they often rack up more than half a million miles on them with minimal maintenance, and fuel economy is great. Probably the most attractive part is that their transmissions have zero wear parts and can run virtually forever if you take care of them. The 2nd gen are known to burn oil with higher miles but as long as you keep it topped off, and change the transmission fluid on Toyota's schedule, they should last forever.

The batteries do occasionally have issues but it typically isn't too bad. Most typically a single cell goes bad in the pack. The computer tells you which cell is bad, and you swap it out for a new $40 cell. It's a little time consuming to take the pack apart but very doable. If you need an entirely new pack they can be found for $1,000 or less, and it's something you can probably do yourself if you're savvy enough to change the oil or replace a headlight. I could probably swap one in 45 minutes if I already had my tools out and the new pack nearby.

Dashboard-Light's statistics place it as the single most reliable compact:
Yeah - I've seen multiple examples of Prius taxi cabs here in Seattle with well over a million miles. Most are on their second battery and maybe second engine at that point. But they are still running just fine. A very inexpensive cr to keep running for just about forever.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM

10,226 posts, read 11,041,977 times
I'm not really understanding this thread. If the OP wanted to badmouth Priuses why ask about what model year to get?

I have a 2008 that I bought when it had about 24k on it and I'm up to about 168k. It's still incredibly reliable, runs great, always gets me where I'm going. I've lost a little bit of mileage--this winter it's usually been around 39.5 mpg, but for a car that does everything I need and has been paid off for maybe five years I'm not complaining.

Everything I've read tells me that the initial scares about how much it will cost to replace the battery are nothing more than that--they go for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles, and the cost is less than you'd think.

If the title is a serious question, I would say the answer is to do what you do with any other used car: find the car with the fewest miles (more important to me than years) with the features you want within your price range. Then, just out of curiosity, figure out of a brand new one is close enough to the price of a used one to make it worthwhile.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

429 posts, read 83,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Prius are some of the most reliable cars on the market. What would you recommend for reliability over a used Prius?
Iíd rather walk itís reliable and faster too ... everything wrong with modern cars is displayed in a Prius.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,474,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Iíd rather walk itís reliable and faster too ... everything wrong with modern cars is displayed in a Prius.

True, for you and maybe myself (I still drive a stick shift car). But not everybody wants to have fun with their car. Most people look at it as an appliance, a necessity to get from point A to point B. They are more than happy if it drives itself. Heck, my brother prefers to use Uber as he sees car ownership a big hassle.

I enjoy driving and working on my cars, most people don't get it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion