Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 PM

202 posts, read 143,697 times

Advertisements

People are saying it's a Mazda not a Toyota but it's Toyota Brand isn't it?

Is it as realiable as a Regular Toyota or not?

Can this last 20 years?

Just curious.

Im looking into a brand new car for the next 20 years thats affordable and is realiable

I thought this one would be good but its background is so confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:07 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
I know three people who own the previous gen Yaris. Two work as courier drivers and have over a million miles on the original engine/transmission. The third person uses the car as a commuter car/daily driver and has close to 250K miles.

I do not see why the new one should be any less reliable.

We had a rental a few weeks ago. Drove pretty good for a small car and we got close to 40 MPG with my wife's mostly local driving. As a reference, she gets 24 MPG on our Sonata.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:12 PM

202 posts, read 143,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I know three people who own the previous gen Yaris. Two work as courier drivers and have over a million miles on the original engine/transmission. The third person uses the car as a commuter car/daily driver and has close to 250K miles.

I do not see why the new one should be any less reliable.

We had a rental a few weeks ago. Drove pretty good for a small car and we got close to 40 MPG with my wife's mostly local driving. As a reference, she gets 24 MPG on our Sonata.
Not bad lol.

The Yaris Sedan 2019 looks actually pretty good considering its an economy car. Its a car I wanna keep and maintain for the next 20 years or so.

I only ask because its supposively built based on the Mazda2.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
The 2019 Yaris sold in the US is a Toyota model built by Toyota in France.

The 2019 Yaris sold 'rest of world' (ROW) is a rebadged Mazda 2 built by Mazda in Mexico.

The new 2020 Yaris in all markets will be the new, rebadged Mazda 2 built by Mazda.

Toyota and Mazda have a very tight collaboration going for these types of small cars. Since 2016 many of the Scion cars were rebadged Japanese Mazda models.

Quality on all of these has been very good.

Don't overthink who build what where. The car engineering, manufacturing, and marketing is global.

Will it last 20 years? That's a lot to ask of any small, inexpensive car. But, properly taken care of, and used somewhere without road salt, I can't see why not.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post

Can this last 20 years?

Just curious.

Im looking into a brand new car for the next 20 years thats affordable and is realiable

It’s a Mazda 2 with Toyota badges, just like the Pontiac Vibe was a rebadged Toyota Matrix.

Under the hood, it’s all Mazda. Will the Skyactive engine last as long as a Toyota engine? Who knows. Will Mazda’s 6 speed automatic transmission last as long as a Toyota Aisin transmission? Who knows.

Personally, I’d buy a one year old Corolla over a brand new Yaris. The Yaris/2 isn’t a popular model, and the Toyota techs at the dealer most likely won’t be very familiar with it. Any parts it needs they’ll likely have to get from a Mazda dealer.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
If you are looking at a 2019, it's all Toyota. Go for it.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post

Can this last 20 years?

Just curious.

I'll provide the links if you really want to 'get into the weeds' (so to speak) on this, and Then I'll provide as much of a summary as I can so that you don't have to 'get into the weeds if you don't want to.

Here are the links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Yaris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Vitz#XP130

The only error I saw in the links was that production for the U.S. sold Yaris started in France (rather than Japan) for the 2015 model year, rather than the article stating 2013 (which would have been for the 2013 or 2014 model year. However, I also agree with the other poster on this thread who said that that move from Japan to France doesn't matter.

------

Here is the summary for the United States market, including the gap years....

Model Years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005:
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
First Generation -- Toyota XP10 (2000 model year through 2005 model year)

The first generation (the XP10) started with the 2000 model year in the United States (with sales probably starting in 1999).

The first generation was called the ECHO in the United States.

In the U.S., a 4 door sedan, and a 2 door coupe were sold...no hatchbacks.

I believe all of these 2 and 4 door vehicles for the U.S. market were assembled in Japan.

A hatchback version of this car was sold in other parts of the world, but not in the United States.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Model Year 2006:
There was no model year 2006 for this vehicle/model in the United States.

I imagine they used the time to sell off the remaining 2005s.

However, production started for other parts of the world for the Second Generation (Toyota XP90) in 2005 for the 2006 model year.

Model Years 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011:
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
The Second Generation (Toyota XP90) begins sales in 2006 in the United States for the 2007 model year.

Three models were sold in the United States for all five of these model years....A 4 door sedan...A 5 door hatchback.....and a 3 door hatchback.

Assembly for the United States market was done in Japan.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Model Years 2012, 2013, and 2014:
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
After the 2011 model year, the 4 door sedan was dropped from the United States market.

The Third Generation (Toyota XP130) debuts in the United States, and was sold in 5 door hatchback form and in 3 door hatchback form in the United States for all three of these model years.

Assembly for the United States market was done in Japan

Model year 2015:
Assembly for the United States market for the Toyota XP130 started taking place in France rather than in Japan.

The two models sold in the U.S. continued to be the 5 door hatchback and the 3 door hatchback.

A few minor cosmetic changes were made for the 2015 model year for both the 5 door hatchback and the 3 door hatchback (the 3rd light/backup light in the hatch window is moved to the bottom of the rear bumper, the grille is changed to mimic the so called 'gaping maw' design seen on other Toyotas, etc).

These minor 2015 model year changes are referred to by some (see the links I included) as the 'First Facelift, or the 2014 Facelift
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Model years 2016, and 2017:
On the consumer end, AFAIK, changes made for the 2015 model year for this Toyota XP130 stayed in place for the 2016 and 2017 model years, and no new changes were introduced.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Model year 2018:
A few more minor cosmetic changes were made for the 2018 model year (The taillights changed, the hatch changed a bit, the rear bumper changed a bit, the front grill changed a bit, etc.)

These additional changes are referred to by some (see the links I included) as the Second Facelift, or the 2017 Facelift.

The 5 door hatchback and the 3 door hatchback were the two models that were sold, and I believe the assembly was still done in France.

Model year 2019:
The XP130 (known as the XP130 since the 2012 model year) was discontinued/did not appear in the United States as a 2019 model. According to Wikipedia, it is still being sold in Canada as a 2019 model.

you can go to cars dot com and plug in the following parameters:

- United States
- Toyota
- Yaris
- All miles (meaning distance from the default zip code the website assigns to you)
- 2007 to 2018
- New & Used
- 100 per page

^^^^^ You'll get 1493 results set on 15 pages.

You can sort them by miles (fewest to most, and most to fewest), model year (oldest to newest, and newest to oldest), by price, etc.

If you pick oldest to newest (re model year) you can see...with the picture of each car....the substance of the changes I described above.

Of the 1437, over 800 of them are 2017s or 2018s, and most of those are major rental car companies selling them.

13 of the 1437 listings have 200,000+ miles (one has 284,000+), and 25 of the 1437 listings have over 175,000 miles.

^^^^^^^^ ALL OF THE ABOVE IS RE THE TOYOTA PRODUCT FROM 2000 - 2019 .........(NOT THE MAZDA 2 PRODUCT/VARIANT)

Now for how the Mazda 2 figures into this:

Mazda stopped importing the Mazda 2 into the United States after the 2014 model year.

In 2014, Mazda de Mexico Vehicle Operation announced production of the Mazda2 in Mexico for various North and South American markets.

In April of 2015, it was announced that that Mazda plant in Mexico would produce a sedan version of the Mazda2 for Toyota with minor styling changes, with the vehicle to be sold as the Scion iA sedan (not to be confused with the older Scion iA Toyota product...a 5 door hatch) and in Canada as the Yaris sedan.

In July of 2015, it was announced that that sedan would be sold in Mexico as the Yaris R.

This 'Mazda2 assembled in Mexico rebadged for Toyota for the United States market' sedan first appeared in the United States in 2015 as the 2016 (model year) Scion iA sedan.

After the 2016 model year, Toyota discontinued Scion as a brand.

For the 2017 and 2018 model years, this 'Mazda2 assembled in Mexico rebadged for Toyota for the United States market' sedan was renamed the Yaris iA sedan.

For the 2019 model year, it was renamed again as the Yaris sedan (dropping the iA), receiving a minor facelift with a new grille insert and some trim changes.

After the 2014 model year a Mazda2 equivalent hatchback was sold in other parts of the world by Mazda....just not in the United States.

In January of 2019, it was confirmed that the Mazda2 hatchback (sold by Mazda in other parts of the world) will be rebadged as the Yaris hatchback, with a front fascia similar to that of the Yaris sedan, for the 2020 model year. In the United States and Canada, this rebadged Mazda2 hatchback (to be the 2020 Yaris hatchback) will replace the XP130 Vitz-based Yaris Liftback (which I mentioned in most of the Toyota section of this post)

Here is the Wikipedia link for the Mazda2 (called the Demio in some parts of the world):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Demio

__________________________________________________ __

As mentioned by others in this thread, the Toyota product....the Echo/Yaris...2000-2019....is very reliable and fuel efficient. Some car magazines don't like subjective things about it....the driving position....the ride, etc....but I have always seen it get very high marks re reliability and fuel efficiency with consumer reports etc.

Re the 'Yaris/Mazda2' product also discussed in this post, the reviews in car magazines and car literature that I've seen have been pretty favorable, and the Consumer Reports type assessments (including, IIRC, Consumer Reports itself) have also been quite good.

I think the new one (built by Mazda) will have a long life, or you would also do well (have a long life with) a used Yaris that has been treated decently. I think you would have a good experience either way.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:04 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The 2019 Yaris sold in the US is a Toyota model built by Toyota in France.

The 2019 Yaris sold 'rest of world' (ROW) is a rebadged Mazda 2 built by Mazda in Mexico.

The new 2020 Yaris in all markets will be the new, rebadged Mazda 2 built by Mazda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
If you are looking at a 2019, it's all Toyota. Go for it.

Wrong. You both must be thinking of 2018 when there was a hatch (france), and the sedan (mexico).
https://www.toyotacertified.com/yaris

https://www.toyotacertified.com/yarisia

The only 2019 Yaris listed online currently is the sedan (mexico) (mazda 2) (previously iA).
https://www.toyota.com/yaris/
https://www.toyota.com/content/ebroc..._ebrochure.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion