Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
....and the interiors of the 2007 to present models are worse than anything Chrysler builds.
Yeah, the 2009 Avalon we rented last year had a hard plasticy interior, with interior "ticks" over road conditions such as expansion joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It's a free country, but I'd point out you can buy *a lot* of motor oil for the cost of a new Yukon and the additional gas it would burn...

The 3S-FE 2.2L engine will leak oil out the distributor, into the cap, only cure is a new, used, or rebuilt dist., which ain't cheap, true, but if you get say 150K miles per distributor and it comes off with one bolt...

The other common issues are the cam seal, easily accessed when doing the cam belt, and the oil pump gasket itself, which is not that tough once the cam belt is off. I have done everything except the distributor so far.

I will note that the "auto-strangulation" seat belt "electric mouse" is not my favorite feature of this generation Camry though...
LOL, thats right. However she was a realator and a 324K mile '93 Camry was getting to not be that suitable for her, since the driveway they live on had taken a toll on the car. Also, her mother was awarded a $700,000 settlement and bought her the Yukon.

Hers had what she was told was a rear main seal leak and she paid a mechanic twice to fix it, but it never stopped leaking and they got frustrated with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I have to agree on the 92-96. I love that style. If I could buy one in great shape for a good price I'd go with a V-6 with all the options. Those cars did look pretty sharp.
Yes! My pick is the 1992-96 LE sedan, or the XLE with cloth interior. These cars have a soft ride. My '93 had worn out struts that had stiffened and gave a harsh ride, but for the most part, they had a soft and supple ride. My aunts had a nice ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My '93 had worn out struts that had stiffened and gave a harsh ride, but for the most part, they had a soft and supple ride. My aunts had a nice ride.

I am really confused here. Every car I ever had that had worn out struts rode like a boat. In other words bouncing all over the road with no control. I never heard of worn out struts riding stiffer and tighter? Please explain.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I like the year 2000 with the little spoiler.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
One of my friends in high school had a fully loaded 1st generation Camry. Four door hatchback, auto, power everything, sunroof, digital dash and two-tone beige/taupe with cloth interior. Really neat car! I never, ever see these anymore....they were very quirky and 80s-chic, unlike later Camrys whatsoever:

I liked the styling of the 92-96 Coupe the best, and the sedan a generation after that was pretty sharp too...if a little dull. For me, it's gotta be the 2nd generation Camry however. I've driven many of these and they have such a solid feel to them...even after all these years. With the V6, they were actually pretty quick, and they sort of look like a "rounder" 82-85 Honda Accord - which I dig.

I'm not sure if they even sold one like this in the USA, but the perfect Camry for me would be an '88-'91 All-Trac LE Sedan 5-speed with the V6. I know you could get an All-Trac with a 5-speed, and a FWD V6 with a 5-speed....but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything but four banger All-Tracs.

Better yet, make it a Camry All-Trac with a 3S-GTE!!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 AM

Those hatchback Camrys were extremely rare! Most were sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
One of my friends in high school had a fully loaded 1st generation Camry. Four door hatchback, auto, power everything, sunroof, digital dash and two-tone beige/taupe with cloth interior. Really neat car! I never, ever see these anymore....they were very quirky and 80s-chic, unlike later Camrys whatsoever:

I liked the styling of the 92-96 Coupe the best, and the sedan a generation after that was pretty sharp too...if a little dull. For me, it's gotta be the 2nd generation Camry however. I've driven many of these and they have such a solid feel to them...even after all these years. With the V6, they were actually pretty quick, and they sort of look like a "rounder" 82-85 Honda Accord - which I dig.

I'm not sure if they even sold one like this in the USA, but the perfect Camry for me would be an '88-'91 All-Trac LE Sedan 5-speed with the V6. I know you could get an All-Trac with a 5-speed, and a FWD V6 with a 5-speed....but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything but four banger All-Tracs.

Better yet, make it a Camry All-Trac with a 3S-GTE!!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am really confused here. Every car I ever had that had worn out struts rode like a boat. In other words bouncing all over the road with no control. I never heard of worn out struts riding stiffer and tighter? Please explain.
Most of the time when shocks/struts wear out, they will make a car float and bounce, because have lost their fluid/pressure. I was confused too, but I was told me a ASE mechanic that occasionally shocks will "fail" overly firm and stiff. Its like they "lock" themselves or something. This occasionally happens on the 90-94 Luminas (and other GMs of that size) and the 97-99 Malibus. One day you may see one jiggling down the road as if the only suspension are the tires.

My 1994 Lumina did this on the back - they became overly stiff - the original shocks, as they did on my 1993 Camry. It had the original Toyota shocks, but it rode like a truck - it was very stiff. Most of the time, the Camrys shocks will "fail soft", allowing them to have super soft suspension. Had had happened to my car, I would have been happier, because I did not like that jiggly ride.

Hopefully that cleared it up some.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Most of the time when shocks/struts wear out, they will make a car float and bounce, because have lost their fluid/pressure. I was confused too, but I was told me a ASE mechanic that occasionally shocks will "fail" overly firm and stiff. Its like they "lock" themselves or something. This occasionally happens on the 90-94 Luminas (and other GMs of that size) and the 97-99 Malibus. One day you may see one jiggling down the road as if the only suspension are the tires.

My 1994 Lumina did this on the back - they became overly stiff - the original shocks, as they did on my 1993 Camry. It had the original Toyota shocks, but it rode like a truck - it was very stiff. Most of the time, the Camrys shocks will "fail soft", allowing them to have super soft suspension. Had had happened to my car, I would have been happier, because I did not like that jiggly ride.

Hopefully that cleared it up some.
Thank you for the explanation. They always say you learn something new every day.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Thank you for the explanation. They always say you learn something new every day.

No problem!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
What would you consider it being the best era of the Toyota Camry's?

Me I liked the third generation (1992-96) Camry's the best with the 1995-96 rear end styling being my favorite.
I agree with you. My bro had a 1995 and she was beautiful. After all these years you still see many of them on the road, a testament to Toyota's quality.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I have to agree with the '92-'96 models, they were practical but yet still had a good look to them.

The '97+ models were ugly with all of those sharp angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion