Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times

Advertisements

In December, thinking of purchasing a Toyota Hybird Camry.

Would like some feedback on what you think of this car??

Anyone own one?? What is your opinion??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
If you are going to buy it new, and get rid of it when the warranty expires you will be fine. The battery packs are $3,000 to replace, and the transmission is $10,000 to replace.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The first generation Prius'es are still running today with no history of replacing battery packs or trannies. Plus the warrenties last for 8 years.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
here's my opinion:

- if you're buying the car to save your money on gas costs, you need to be a high mileage per-year driver and keep the car for a long while to make up the difference in purchase price and price per gallon of fuel saved. if that's the case, and you need a car that big, i'm sure it's a fine car.

- if you're buying the car because you like the idea of owning a hybrid and need a full-sized sedan and are not too concerned with getting your money back in fuel over 8-10 years, then I'm sure it's a fine car for that purpose too.

Otherwise, there's isn't much to say. It's a Camry with the Toyota hybrid system.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Look at extra money you need to buy a hybrid, and calculate how much gas that would be over the miles you normally drive, then see how long it will take for you to recoup your money. Some hybrids take over 20 years to break even on cost, some closer to 10.

Unless you're driving a lot of miles, I don't see the premium price worth buying a hybrid car just yet.

As for batteries, costs are dropping as volumes increase - first gen Prius battery packs are now just under $2k to replace.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Look at extra money you need to buy a hybrid, and calculate how much gas that would be over the miles you normally drive, then see how long it will take for you to recoup your money. Some hybrids take over 20 years to break even on cost, some closer to 10.

Unless you're driving a lot of miles, I don't see the premium price worth buying a hybrid car just yet.

As for batteries, costs are dropping as volumes increase - first gen Prius battery packs are now just under $2k to replace.
But holy crap its been so much easier to breath again with these cars everywhere.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
here's my opinion:

- if you're buying the car to save your money on gas costs, you need to be a high mileage per-year driver and keep the car for a long while to make up the difference in purchase price and price per gallon of fuel saved. if that's the case, and you need a car that big, i'm sure it's a fine car.

- if you're buying the car because you like the idea of owning a hybrid and need a full-sized sedan and are not too concerned with getting your money back in fuel over 8-10 years, then I'm sure it's a fine car for that purpose too.

Otherwise, there's isn't much to say. It's a Camry with the Toyota hybrid system.
Pretty much.
I'd much rather have the Honda Civic Hybrid or the Prius which get better gas mileage than the Camry. The insight also looks good but it seems the Civic has more room than the Prius and the Insight.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Keep in mind that the hybrid system really only "works" if you are doing a lot of stop and go driving, where the dynamic braking recovers most of your forward momentum to charge the battery. It takes some practice to learn how to get the best performance out of the system.

Depending, you may be better off with a good used Echo or the Scion equivalent that is still (I think) in production.

Would help to know where you are, regionally, and if your typical drive is rural, urban, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

Extra money to buy which Hybrid? My 2010 Prius cost $23,000. The Insight starts around $19,000 and you can find a Civic Hybrid without Nav or leather for the same price. I wouldn't call any of these vehicles expensive.

I would argue that you pay a premium for many cars. A sports car, an SUV, a full size 4X4 pick up. Nobody ever talks about those premiums.

There are plenty of Gen I & Gen II Prius,' as well as Civic Hybrid's that have original batteries at 150,000 - 200,000 miles. Just look at all the Prius taxi's in NYC. In CA, my battery has a warranty of 10 years, 150,000 miles.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Keep in mind that the hybrid system really only "works" if you are doing a lot of stop and go driving, where the dynamic braking recovers most of your forward momentum to charge the battery. It takes some practice to learn how to get the best performance out of the system.

Depending, you may be better off with a good used Echo or the Scion equivalent that is still (I think) in production.

Would help to know where you are, regionally, and if your typical drive is rural, urban, etc.
Actually, you can glide in EV up to 40 MPH. I find that I get the best mileage when I'm gliding around 35MPH on roads with no stop lights/signs. It's easy to regenerate the battery doing this, especially when going down a hill. You are right though, stop and go city driving can charge the battery by regenerative breaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion