Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:35 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,047,410 times

Advertisements

I purchased a 2001 toyota sequoia from my dad. The thing has HORRIBLE braking in my opinion. A lot of effort pressing down hard on that brake pedal for the thing to stop and it seems the brakes are very inadequate for a car this size. Anyone else have any issues ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,180 times
Its a relatively light SUV... so its either bad engineering or a legitimate problem. Now you say you press hard but how does the pedal react? Is the pedal firm? Mushy? How far does the pedal typically travel?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Its a relatively light SUV... so its either bad engineering or a legitimate problem. Now you say you press hard but how does the pedal react? Is the pedal firm? Mushy? How far does the pedal typically travel?
there is normal pedal travel. It does not feel mushy...just a lot of effort to press the pedal in.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
there is normal pedal travel. It does not feel mushy...just a lot of effort to press the pedal in.
Could be cheap pads/rotors or it is simply how the braking system was designed. However if your pushing on the pedal like no tomorrow you could have a problem with the booster... but I wouldnt think its that bad???

Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Most likely the brake system needs to be flushed. New fluid can do a lot to help with poor pedal performance - it is an eight-year old truck after all. Do you have any idea when the brake fluid was last changed? Have you compared it to another truck of the same year?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Most likely the brake system needs to be flushed. New fluid can do a lot to help with poor pedal performance - it is an eight-year old truck after all. Do you have any idea when the brake fluid was last changed? Have you compared it to another truck of the same year?
Interesting... I know hydraulic fluid becomes contaminated but how does it become compressible over time? I dont think this will fix the problem but it is definitely something that needs to be tended to.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Brake fluid readily absorbs water and that dilutes its hydraulic capabilities, plus other dirt and debris build up and heat cycling breaks it down. Brake fluid should be changed at three years maximum, but most people never change it, neglecting it like most of the other fluids in their cars. If fluid is good, it could be a bad booster, master cylinder, or a few other things.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Brake fluid readily absorbs water and that dilutes its hydraulic capabilities, plus other dirt and debris build up and heat cycling breaks it down. Brake fluid should be changed at three years maximum, but most people never change it, neglecting it like most of the other fluids in their cars. If fluid is good, it could be a bad booster, master cylinder, or a few other things.
Oh absolutely, I flush all my vehicles at least once a year.... but I would still like to see a compressible BF example no matter how filthy it is, water is still incompressible. And I would have to say that a bad master cylinder would give the opposite symptoms he describes, since the only thing that goes wrong in them is worn bores which sends pedals to the floor.

I think its in the OP's best interest if we can help minimize the amount of parts thrown at the vehicle.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 101,370 times
A flush is definately the place to start. Most of your Toyota dealers and some independent shops offer a brake flush service. It is usually about 100.00 depending on where it is done at.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM

thanks guys...going to take it to my mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion