U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,153,070 times

Advertisements

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300, bought it used. It has 108,000 miles on it (I've had it for about a year).

The only problem I've had was the RPMs would rev up, but no correlation in speed - I thought the transmission was going out (that's how it acted); put it in the shop and it was an oxygen sensor that needed replacing.

That was about 6 months ago.

Now, the AC suddenly stopped working. The fan blows same as always, no spewing noises or anything, the air just does not get cold. I never hear the compressor kick in.

The man at the shop said it needs an "evaporator," or something like that, that the part costs $400, they will
have to remove the dashboard to do the repair, so the labor will run $400. So $800, with summer almost over.

Does this sound kosher to you? I've never owned a Lexus before. There are no Lexus dealers near here, although there are Toyota dealers; I prefer not to use them as I know they will sock it to you, monetarily-speaking........although I don't think $800 is cheap, either.

I love the vehicle and the way it drives/handles, and I love the interior and the way it's laid out, but the repairs are tearing me up.

What are you opinions on this, is $800 reasonable? It sounds awfully high to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
The cost doesn't sound terribly outrageous to me. A/C systems can be a bear to fix unless it's just a simple line leak somewhere.

While it may not seem that important because summer is closing, a car's climate control system uses compressed air for defrosting as well as for cooling. If moisture starts building up on the inside of the windows in winter, you may not be able to get rid of it without your A/C system in proper working order.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The cost doesn't sound terribly outrageous to me. A/C systems can be a bear to fix unless it's just a simple line leak somewhere.

While it may not seem that important because summer is closing, a car's climate control system uses compressed air for defrosting as well as for cooling. If moisture starts building up on the inside of the windows in winter, you may not be able to get rid of it without your A/C system in proper working order.

I've noticed it's hard to keep the inside of the windshield clear. That may be what is causing that.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,488,409 times
Toyota dealers will normally service Lexus vehicles. I take mine to my local Toyota dealer, as its 25 miles closer than the Lexus dealer.

As far as the evap core goes, thats an unusual failure on a Lexus - especially a 2000 model, but not out of the question. I think some cars do require entire dash removal for this to be replaced (same goes for the heater core)... not sure if the RX does require it or not. You may want to check out some Lexus forums for this...

check this out....
RX - First Generation - Club Lexus Forums

and/or this...
Lexus Owners Club (USA & Canada) -> 99 - 06 Lexus RX300/330

folks on this site may know, but many on these forums are informative as well.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,488,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I've noticed it's hard to keep the inside of the windshield clear. That may be what is causing that.
Thats a sign of it in some cases... do you smell coolant inside the cabin?

Sounds more like your heater core is failing rather than evaporator.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 AM

No, there's no unusual smell at all.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
On some cars, if you replace the evaporator, you have done 99% of the labor to do the heater core too, pre-emptively replacing it as well might make sense if you plan to keep the car long-term.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,781,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I have a 2000 Lexus RX300, bought it used. It has 108,000 miles on it (I've had it for about a year).

The only problem I've had was the RPMs would rev up, but no correlation in speed - I thought the transmission was going out (that's how it acted); put it in the shop and it was an oxygen sensor that needed replacing.

That was about 6 months ago.

Now, the AC suddenly stopped working. The fan blows same as always, no spewing noises or anything, the air just does not get cold. I never hear the compressor kick in.

The man at the shop said it needs an "evaporator," or something like that, that the part costs $400, they will
have to remove the dashboard to do the repair, so the labor will run $400. So $800, with summer almost over.

Does this sound kosher to you? I've never owned a Lexus before. There are no Lexus dealers near here, although there are Toyota dealers; I prefer not to use them as I know they will sock it to you, monetarily-speaking........although I don't think $800 is cheap, either.

I love the vehicle and the way it drives/handles, and I love the interior and the way it's laid out, but the repairs are tearing me up.

What are you opinions on this, is $800 reasonable? It sounds awfully high to me...
Your first issue didn't sound kosher.

Knowing that the RX300 is known for having a soft trans (especially AWD versions), I don't see that connection.

Your Lexus is not covered by a warranty anymore. Why are you taking thsi to a dealer to repair? This is a rebadged Toyota, basically. Independent shops CAN work these, you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion