Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

don't you worry. Toyota will come out okay.. They build quality cars and people will always buy them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM

211 posts, read 641,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiajoy View Post
I am amazed that American's are still buying Toyota's?
I'm amazed at how many Americans are susceptible to mass media fear mongering.

Quote:
Are we insane?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance.

Quote:
The cars are killing people yet I see people in Savannah GA area with new tags still opting to buy these cars?
If 300 people died EVERY YEAR because of phantom, acceleration issues in Toyotas, it would still be just 10% of the people killed every year because of inattentive driving while using a mobile phone or iPod behind the wheel.

Quote:
I am so amazed at this that I hardly know what to think; what about those of us on the roads not in Toyota's that are in front of these killer cars?
If you are this worried about your safety on the road, do us all a favor and do not drive. Hardly knowing what to think seems to be coming across just fine though. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
We could also be killed or seriouly injured I am amazed that more has not been done.
Everyone should just stay at home and sit in front of their TV sets. When it is safe to go back outside, the media will let you know. More people are injured or killed every year because of inattentive drivers - people who AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING.

As a competent driver, I'm amazed more people aren't legally prohibited from owning, let alone operating, a vehicle. Yapping on their phones, changing lanes without signaling, speeding, tailgating, weaving, putting on makeup, reading books, either having too much or too little confidence behind the wheel. There are more important things to worry about than the extremely slight chance of an encounter with a rogue Toyota.

Quote:
Now this evening Toyota claims the man who almost died in his car just a few days ago is not telling the truth yet he is among many cars crashing and burning!
Toyota? Try the independent news outlet Jalopnik.com, which did the research to discover that the Sikes guy has filed bankruptcy multiple times, and is already nearly a MILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT less than a year after his most recent bankruptcy filing. The brakes on his car were worn down NOT due to his riding them at 90mph in an "out of control" Prius, but because HE DID NOT MAINTAIN HIS VEHICLE.

He is 100% full of sh*t and he - and everyone else who isn't a complete moron - knows this.

Quote:
Support your country America and stop investing in other country's support yoru own we need it now!!!!!!
You truly want to support America? PAY OFF YOUR DEBTS. Make sure your kids can read and write better. Be an involved parent. Start your own business. Stop relying upon others to spoon feed you sensationalist media bullsh*t or give you something to do to make a living. BE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE AND STOP LOOKING TO PLACE BLAME, AMERICA.

Quote:
I have a friend who worked for Toyota for years and he said they lie and hide all their maintence records so we do not know what they are doing behind the scenes; but you can bet they are up to no good.
Toyota would not be the worlds largest automaker if they did not make the most desirable vehicles. They last forever and they hold their value. In five years, the media will have forgotten all about this - and you will have too. Toyota will be right back to selling more cars than anyone else.

This "Support your country - Buy American" crap is so stupid. Support a GLOBAL community. Learn to accept others and not be a myopic midwestern troll with a closed mind. We can all work together as HUMANS, or we can continue to focus on petty, nationalist issues, trying to get over on our fellow man.

Wake up. Damn.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
My neighbor is a tech (as they get called today) at a Toyota dealership, and he has said there is alot they do not even print up in the dealership service dept. It's goes like this from the customer service manager"Say, mr tech, this ladies car/suv/etc. has aproblem. Would you do me a favor and figure it out and we'll fix it, but theres no paperwork on this vehicle. Thanks, and I'll take care of you on payday". In other words while you fix this, you don't have to worry about your flat rate required hours.
My son worked at BMW and Honda dealershisp - if you think "hidden warranties" and off-paperwork repairs are unique to any one carmaker, you are incorrect. It happens at ALL dealerships. Nonsense like this (and being paid by book value of repairs rather than completeness or effectiveness of repairs) is what drove him out of the field, despite being named the best mechanic in his service area for 3 years in a row.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,341 times
Maybe because they are patriotic and want to buy something built in the USA!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Maybe because they are patriotic and want to buy something built in the USA!
I'm the same way. As long as there's a similar American version of the same car, I will purchase it over the foreign counterpart to pump more dollars into our economy.

Some foreign cars do not have any domestics that will compare, like the Lotus Elise / Lamborghini Murcielago LP670 etc..

But for normal cars, and all Toyotas, there is an equal or better American equivalent.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My son worked at BMW and Honda dealershisp - if you think "hidden warranties" and off-paperwork repairs are unique to any one carmaker, you are incorrect. It happens at ALL dealerships. Nonsense like this (and being paid by book value of repairs rather than completeness or effectiveness of repairs) is what drove him out of the field, despite being named the best mechanic in his service area for 3 years in a row.

Spoke with my neighbor today, after realizing he was home instead of working. He's had it with working at a dealership for just these and a few other reasons. He is now monday starting a new job completely unrelated to the automotive tech world.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, this is what happens when a good car starts being assembled in America. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they pull it out of the US.
My 2008 Honda Accord was American built and the quality is top notch.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Why are people still buying Toyota-built vehicles?

Short answer: They're good.

All of this hysteria from 3 years ago about the "unexpected acceleration" turned out to be nothing but driver error. Even NASA studied the claims. No laboratory could replicate the problem. Conclusion: people were stomping on the accelerator instead of the brake.

Remedy: know your vehicle's pedals.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Short answer: They're good.

All of this hysteria from 3 years ago about the "unexpected acceleration" turned out to be nothing but driver error. Even NASA studied the claims. No laboratory could replicate the problem. Conclusion: people were stomping on the accelerator instead of the brake.

Remedy: know your vehicle's pedals.
How in the world do people step on the brake or the gas pedal thinking its the other one?????????????? do they drive with both feet at one time - one on the brake and one on the gas???

the only way you could make that mistake is if you couldn't feel where your feet were going if you were wearing Ugg boots or some kind of big shoe.

Or maybe the drivers were texting, yelling at thier kids, putting on makeup, reading the paper, or fiddling with knobs while driving.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
How in the world do people step on the brake or the gas pedal thinking its the other one?????????????? do they drive with both feet at one time - one on the brake and one on the gas???

the only way you could make that mistake is if you couldn't feel where your feet were going if you were wearing Ugg boots or some kind of big shoe.

Or maybe the drivers were texting, yelling at thier kids, putting on makeup, reading the paper, or fiddling with knobs while driving.
I won't argue the details of unintended acceleration claims as they pertain to Toyota here but the mistake of stepping on the accelerator rather than the brake pedal is nothing new. It is a known occurrence and has happened since the invention of the automobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion