U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
 
2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
Reputation: 2352

Advertisements

Second fatal accident in a month at Santee intersection - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS8.com
Investigators believe the accelerator of a Lexus sedan loaned to Saylor by an El Cajon dealership became stuck as the vehicle traveled downhill on northbound 125 and went more than 100 mph through the T-intersection at the foot of the Mission Gorge Road offramp, landing in the bed of the San Diego River.
This happened not 5 miles from my workplace.


http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...909299985/1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonews.com
Toyota plans to recall as early as next week 3.8 million U.S. Toyota and Lexus models -- its largest ever -- to fix floor mats that may snag gas pedals and cause vehicles to accelerate at high speeds.

In the meantime, U.S. regulators are urging owners of the seven affected nameplates to remove their driver-side floor mats. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it issued the warning because of continued reports of vehicles accelerating rapidly after drivers released the accelerator.


“This is an urgent matter,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. “We strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration.”
The recall was sparked by an Aug. 28 accident in San Diego during which four people were killed in a Lexus, said Irv Miller, a spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.
...
The Toyota vehicles involved are 2007 to 2010 Camrys; 2005 to 2010 Avalons; 2004 to 2009 Priuses; 2005 to 2010 Tacomas and 2007 to 2010 Tundras. Lexus models are 2007 to 2010 ES 350s and 2006 to 2010 IS 250s and IS 350s.
I know things happen and recalls are common. But this is a glaring oversight. I'm shocked it was not caught during road tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
 
10,494 posts, read 23,174,217 times
Reputation: 6667
Why are people still buying Toyota-built vehicles?

Because a defective floor mat is not a big deal, definitely not something to consider when buying a car. If I was going to buy a new Lexus, I would just remove the driver's side floor mat...problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Reputation: 16278
Why not - you need to find something better than floor mats to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
 
2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
Reputation: 2352
I'm not talking about the ease of getting around the issue. I'm talking about how such an issue could have passed QA. Another thread made a good point - that Toyota's quality has gone severely downhill since 96 for some reason. Nobody would ever expect that a floor mat could cause such a dangerous condition to happen, and the Cash for Clunkers program only accelerated the amount of vehicles on the road that are subject to it.

I would be extremely worried about buying a Toyota-built car, not because this is an easy problem to get around, but because they allowed such a thing to happen in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM
 
10,494 posts, read 23,174,217 times
Reputation: 6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'm not talking about the ease of getting around the issue. I'm talking about how such an issue could have passed QA. Another thread made a good point - that Toyota's quality has gone severely downhill since 96 for some reason. Nobody would ever expect that a floor mat could cause such a dangerous condition to happen, and the Cash for Clunkers program only accelerated the amount of vehicles on the road that are subject to it.

I would be extremely worried about buying a Toyota-built car, not because this is an easy problem to get around, but because they allowed such a thing to happen in the first place.
Ok, I get your point now, and I agree with you. You are also one of the few people that understand that the newer Toyota's are junk. I laugh at the idiots who think new Camry's are good, reliable cars. Especially considering the reviews are 90% bad!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Reputation: 16278
Well, this is what happens when a good car starts being assembled in America. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they pull it out of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,431 posts, read 5,776,760 times
Reputation: 2120
So, did the brake pedal get stuck as well or something?

The brake will slow down a car enough before it gets to 100 MPH and a speed limiter as long as that driver does not panic and the fit hits the shan.

Just a thought.

On another note, drive-by-wire sucks? My '03 F150 still has a cable throttle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 16,754,165 times
Reputation: 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, this is what happens when a good car starts being assembled in America. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they pull it out of the US.
LOL.

http://13thman.com/cheers/images/smilies/popcorn.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
 
2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
So, did the brake pedal get stuck as well or something?

The brake will slow down a car enough before it gets to 100 MPH and a speed limiter as long as that driver does not panic and the fit hits the shan.

Just a thought.

On another note, drive-by-wire sucks? My '03 F150 still has a cable throttle.
The problem is reaction time, and in a V6 it's multiplied.

In the case of what happened in Santee, it's a downhill grade, it ends at a T intersection, facing the flat. If you slam the brakes at high speed they will lock up and you will skid directly into the intersection - trust me, I know...I've done it in my mother's car on one occasion (a Camry). Also, 100MPH on a city street or offramp is faster than you think it is. Your reaction time might not be up to snuff. In that accident they were elderly. Someone who is elderly is not going to be fast enough on the trigger to apply the brakes.

A better question to ask would have been why they were not in the process of trying to slow the car down well before the offramp. That the pedal was on the floor in the first place screams of cruise control...a common thing to do on long stretches.

In any case, I still do not understand how this was not caught in either QA or road tests. They had to have benchmarked the speed rating, so either it didn't happen then or they ignored it as a fluke. But to affect that many vehicles? Something stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,381 posts, read 27,564,862 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, this is what happens when a good car starts being assembled in America. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they pull it out of the US.
Not quite true. They have been assembled in America for many years... even back when they were "good" cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top