Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

i would 2nd the notion to have a trusted mechanic give it a quick blessing, but otherwise you should be just fine.

at 110K miles, i believe you should have replaced the timing belt recently if you are following Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule. a friend has a newer Corolla and i believe she was told to replace it at 90K. that would be the one big maintenance item i would be concerned about since it's not the easiest thing to do a quick visual check on (especially for the non-mechanically-inclined).

other than that, i wouldn't hesitate.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i would 2nd the notion to have a trusted mechanic give it a quick blessing, but otherwise you should be just fine.

at 110K miles, i believe you should have replaced the timing belt recently if you are following Toyota's recommended maintenance schedule. a friend has a newer Corolla and i believe she was told to replace it at 90K. that would be the one big maintenance item i would be concerned about since it's not the easiest thing to do a quick visual check on (especially for the non-mechanically-inclined).

other than that, i wouldn't hesitate.

Mike

I have a '99 Corolla (1.8L) and it does not have a timing belt...it has a chain.
I think an '01 is probably the same...

Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have a '99 Corolla (1.8L) and it does not have a timing belt...it has a chain.
ah. gotcha.

Mike

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Agreed, there is little reason to think the car will break down on the trip, particularly if any deferred maintenance is taken care of before starting out.

However a 2001 Corolla is no less likely to be t-boned by a drunk, as I pointed out, right there at the corner of No and Where, than any other car. You can be careful, defensive, and skillful, and still be wrecked.

I still think it makes a lot more sense to fly, then rent a car in Cali, in terms of hassle, expense, time, etc.

If I suggested to my boss that I should drive my private car to the East Coast for business, he would think I had flipped out - the small savings in money don't even begin to pay for the extra time.

Unless the OP is just allergic to flying, somehow got on a no-fly list, or needs to carry something that the airlines won't take (and neither will USPS, UPS, FedEx) I don't see any sense in making this trip by car.

I have done it. It ain't fun. If you think this kind of driving is fun, there are trucking companies that would love to meet you!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Mom loves her 2001 Corolla "S"... it's the only new car she's ever owned and it has been 100% reliable.

As mentioned... the most common roadside problems in my experience growing up around the family car business are:

Leaking/Ruptured radiator and heater hoses.

Broken "Fan" belts

Bad Tires and/or spare not usable

Before any trip... regular maintenance should not be over looked...

Top of my list:

Oil and Filter Service

Drain/Flush Radiator... (Especially Important for Summer Driving)

Top off all other fluids

Replace Fuel Filter(s)

Load Test Battery and check/clean Terminals

Check/Replace Front Brake Pads and Rear Shoes as needed...

and don't forget Wiper Blades

Have a great time and don't get speeding tickets

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Default Reps to all of you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Agreed, there is little reason to think the car will break down on the trip, particularly if any deferred maintenance is taken care of before starting out.

However a 2001 Corolla is no less likely to be t-boned by a drunk, as I pointed out, right there at the corner of No and Where, than any other car. You can be careful, defensive, and skillful, and still be wrecked.

I still think it makes a lot more sense to fly, then rent a car in Cali, in terms of hassle, expense, time, etc.

If I suggested to my boss that I should drive my private car to the East Coast for business, he would think I had flipped out - the small savings in money don't even begin to pay for the extra time.

Unless the OP is just allergic to flying, somehow got on a no-fly list, or needs to carry something that the airlines won't take (and neither will USPS, UPS, FedEx) I don't see any sense in making this trip by car.

I have done it. It ain't fun. If you think this kind of driving is fun, there are trucking companies that would love to meet you!
This will be our fourth trip across the USA. We have a dog that my daughter does not like to live alone, and it is easier to travel this way, than to fly, especially in the winter months, that it is when we are planning our trip.

With the current delays and sicknesses on airplanes, it has turned us off travelling by this method.

The car history of maintenance is well -up- to- date. Our first stop would be San Antonio, Texas, then Scottsdale, Arizona, and Palm Desert, California, and finally San Diego, and returning in the Spring, back home.

My daughter wants for us to buy a new car, but I have difficulty parting with my little Toyota. But after listening to all of you wonderful people, we are going to have the car checked fully by a mechanic..........and away we go!!!!!!!!!

Our only concern is travelling in major highways during January that are frozen, or getting into a major snowstorm, but aside from that, only the car presents a challenge. Thank you to all those people who took the time to answer........................

Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
A final point - the upper radiator hose is the hotter one, and it's easiest to change. You can't tell much by looking at the outside of it. If this hose is original, it's more than 4 years old, or you don't know how old it is, I really recommend replacing it. I'd do both upper and lower hoses, but in any case do the upper unless you know it's less than 4 years old.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
A final point - the upper radiator hose is the hotter one, and it's easiest to change. You can't tell much by looking at the outside of it. If this hose is original, it's more than 4 years old, or you don't know how old it is, I really recommend replacing it. I'd do both upper and lower hoses, but in any case do the upper unless you know it's less than 4 years old.
Wow! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:18 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
With one exception... I buy only used vehicles... both of my last trucks were around 5 years old at the time of purchase... I changed all belts and hoses. I look at changing these items as insurance...

Winter driving... don't forget tire chains that have been pre-tested to fit your tires... some extra blankets and supplies.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The way I understand it is anything since 98 has a chain and that chain is said to rarely wear out. I've always had belts and had to get them replaced; when my 98 corolla got to 80K I started looking into it and found it wasn't necessary; what a relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion