Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Toyota dealers are especially arrogant from my own personal experience. You need not be arrogant to be a successful salesperson. You don't get it obviously.
Most likely they had enough of the attitude and were just dishing it back your way.

Why the constant rant against Toyota? Were you trying to work on one and just couldn't quite figure out the problem? If so, don't worry about it. There are plenty of us that know what were doing. We gotcha covered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
John - Please grow up and attempt to have a mature converstaion. Seriously. A forked tongue gets nowhere.

One foot inside an arrogant Toyota showroom easily shows their "superior" attitude.
Your anti-Toyota rants are silly and tiresome. You have previously shown you are a Nissan fan (guess where many Nissans are made).

I don't own a Toyota - but I know MANY who love them. Same with many Lexus owners.

For the last twenty years Toyota earned its reputation for quality and reliability. That's why people replace one boring Camry with another.

Toyota is having some problems now. They will surely fix them because their reputation and sales are at stake.

As for dealers - in my experience - every dealer that has a car people want has a good probability of displaying arrogance. But that is a dealer to dealer thing. The Honda dealers in Austin are very different from each other. The BMW dealer is obnoxious. The one Toyota dealer I shopped was indifferent.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Some consumers’ personal accounts indicate that the pedal arrangement in the popular F-150 pickup makes it too easy to hit the brake and accelerator at the same time...
Yeah, that's operator error combined with a KNOWN problem. Not some mystery glitch that rockets the car to high speed no matter what you do. Perhaps that's why Ford hasn't seen much criticism.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
What about cruise control? A car with cruise control can accelerate without the driver's input. Of course it would require a number of systems to fail for it to happen. But it can happen in theory.
I agree cruise could go wacko nuts and it does, but the effect is 'usually' to loose all cruise functions.. The fact it won't work anymore, isn't what i would call a danger.

If we are going to suffer fly by wire throttle, why not suffer fly by wire brakes? Certainly electromagnetic brakes could be created and use on small cars.

If they are and I get a car like that the next day it will have hydralic brakes, and no abs.

The thing is I am a old geezer, and I learned how to drive with both hands and both feet. I believe all passanger cars should be stick shift, except for those with a medical reason.

Certain trucks and work vehicals should be auto tranny, because a driver often times needs a free hand to run something else like a snow plow.

Plowing snow in a stick shift can be done, but there are times where 3 hands would help.

So far I have never owned a vehical with abs brakes, or a air bag, and i don't want either, as well as fly by wire throttle.

ABS to me as I see cause very stange accidents in unusual circumstances, where the suspention is suddenly un-loaded, like crossing a sidewalk. This extends the stopping distance, and the car goes bump into something often times, and all because a lot of drivers don't like to really drive at all.

An example of that is a girl i saw coming out a toll booth on I-95. She was running 2 lap top computers with her right hand and holding a phone to her ear with her left hand and steering with her kness, looking down at some other digiital gizzmo in her lap... That isn't driving as i see things..

She went right into the passing lane the next instant and proceeded to go apx 35 mph in a 65 mph zone....

I think she needed an office... maybe one with NO wheels, but than nobody cares much about what i think.

I think so of these cad engineers need to go out and get their dainty fingers dirty too, but the same thing applies and no one cares what I think.

The problem is these cad designers have no clue how to set up frequently changed items, to be accessable, with out tearing oout 50 un-related other items, which is a total waste of time, to include the funny cover under the hood that prevents seeing the engine in the first place.

I also have a problem with other peoples experiments, that today we call cars. If I wanted to experiment with my car, then I would want to pay, but I don't want to play that experiment game on my dime for some cad tech, who fancys a new idea in production twice or more in a given model year.

For about 70 years cable and steel linkage worked to drive a throttle plate, and there is no good valid reason to change that idea, which is proven safe. But this is just an old fools mechanic feeling for this new some how it must be better idea.

I wonder what happens if there is a massive dead short in the charging system? The idea doesn't exactly thrill me, but then this will never happen to me directly.

BUT OH!!!! I do have a buddy who is wheel chair bound, and can drive... Hios van had a charging system problem and the vehical locked his doors and wiondows with him inside and that was that... EL Deado battery, and he was a prisioner in this everything electronic vehical.

As this event occued all the wondows doors and ramps opeerated and too fast for him to even get out! I sure wish I was a fly on the wall to see that!

Nice newer van too, and it can't be fixed! Cost more to replace the harnesses than the van is worth. INS just bought him a new van....

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Wait, I thought Consumer Reports publishes totally biased nonsense...
That's right! They do only published totally biased nonsense. That's been proven by this whole situation.

Quote:
Oh, I get it! When CR agrees with YOUR agenda...they suddenly become a legitimate publication...LOL
I see no evidence that they have changed. But, if their bias went the other way, I would not bother with it because it will still be worthless.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Toyota dealers are especially arrogant from my own personal experience. You need not be arrogant to be a successful salesperson. You don't get it obviously.
I find those GM commercials with Howie Long to be probably the single most arrogant commercials made in recent years. Yeah a Malibu gets 1MPG more than the Civic, but see how that helps you when the thing is all loose and falling apart at 100K.
I find GM dealers to be the worst so far as far as what your talking about.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I find those GM commercials with Howie Long to be probably the single most arrogant commercials made in recent years. Yeah a Malibu gets 1MPG more than the Civic, but see how that helps you when the thing is all loose and falling apart at 100K.
Unfortunately for you, that's far from proven. What IS proven is that some Toyota vehicles will rocket you to the grave right off the lot!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
Default GM Taking Advantage of Toyota Mistake

I'm sure you heard GM is offering rebates/incentives for people with Toyota's. What do you think of this? Not only do I think it's kind of a sleezy move, but I don't think it's a good deal for Toyota owners,believe me, I checked, I own a 07 Camry lol. There going to want to make there money, you'll end up getting screwed anyway, that just my opinion. What are your thoughts?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Everyone else is doing it. Don't see why GM shouldn't get in on it too. In a situation like this, if I were the marketing director of a car company, I wouldn't be the first to do this, but I also wouldn't be the last.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Everyone else is doing it. Don't see why GM shouldn't get in on it too. In a situation like this, if I were the marketing director of a car company, I wouldn't be the first to do this, but I also wouldn't be the last.
yep, just like sharks in a feeding frenzy with with a wounded whale. The water is red with the blood of the wounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion