Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Because the EDR system is an experimental device and is neither intended, nor reliable, for accident reconstruction. Car makers are not required to have EDR systems - it is not mandatory until a later date. Thus, the experimentation...

Now, what was that derogatory (classless) comment about?
yeah, "experimental". Read the quote below from the article
Last week, Toyota acknowledged it has only a single laptop available in the U.S. to download its data recorder information because it is still a prototype, despite being in use since 2001 in Toyota vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
I think this whole recall thing is way overblown and the Obama administration is doing its best to drag Toyota through the mud as a favor to its cronies at the UAW and Government Motors.

Toyota makes among the most reliable cars on the road, and I will continue to drive them. My Toyota will be running strong when Government Motors junkers are in the shop or on the scrap heap.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
The driver of a 2008 Camry, which received fixes under two Toyota recalls, wrote in a complaint that the sedan speeds up when it is started. "I can drive up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas," the driver wrote.

Amazing! Some idiots don't realize that when you start a cold engine, especially in cold weather, the engine is supposed to idle at a higher RPM. And if the driver puts the car in gear on level ground the higher RPM level will cause the car to travel up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas. Once the engine's head temperature reaches (I believe 167 degrees F) the RPM level drops. Also, a car with a cold engine will remain in 2nd gear longer before upshifting.

Should this be considered Sudden Unintended Acceleration?

Idiots!
Yup, although 30 seems a little fast for this for all cars I've owned but one. I had a '69 Dodge Polara with a 383 that would idle real fast when cold...drop the auto tranny "clunk!" and roll along at city speeds without touching the gas until the engine warmed up.

I wouldn't ever call that "unexpected acceleration" though. Not sure I'd even call it acceleration....might call it oozing...it would kind of ooze up to 30.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think this whole recall thing is way overblown and the Obama administration is doing its best to drag Toyota through the mud as a favor to its cronies at the UAW and Government Motors.

Toyota makes among the most reliable cars on the road, and I will continue to drive them. My Toyota will be running strong when Government Motors junkers are in the shop or on the scrap heap.
Obama rightly takes the heat for a lot of things, but to blame him for this is a stretch. Toyota has mishandled this situation. Its their fault. My Dodge will still be running strong when your Toyota is rusting away on the scrap heap.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My Dodge will still be running strong when your Toyota is rusting away on the scrap heap.
wanna bet?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My Dodge will still be running strong when your Toyota is rusting away on the scrap heap.
Oh Lordy - I seriously doubt that.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
I guess all of these unintended acceleration incidents now explain the meaning of Toyota's slogan "Moving Forward". I've owned all kinds of vehicles, the smallest sports cars on the market, a 500hp+ Viper, 350 lb sportbikes....and the only vehicle that I'm afraid to drive is a Toyota. I guess I just value my life too much.

In my opinion it's especially selfish for anyone with family members to risk putting them in a Toyota with all of the information that is out now.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I guess all of these unintended acceleration incidents now explain the meaning of Toyota's slogan "Moving Forward". I've owned all kinds of vehicles, the smallest sports cars on the market, a 500hp+ Viper, 350 lb sportbikes....and the only vehicle that I'm afraid to drive is a Toyota. I guess I just value my life too much.

In my opinion it's especially selfish for anyone with family members to risk putting them in a Toyota with all of the information that is out now.
I'm no fan of the way that Toyota has handled this, but it would take too long to explain all the ways in which your risk assessment is almost completely irrational.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
wanna bet?
If we're still posting here in 20 years then I'll be sure to remind you about it.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
wanna bet?
I'd confidently put up my Jeep cherokee (XJ) against any toyota on longevity any day of the week and twice on sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion