Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yeah, Heaven knows I fly off the road uncontrollably every 200 yards when I drive anything with a real actual cable for the throttle.

Maybe we just need to learn and teach how to actually DRIVE again, instead of expecting to sit in an easy chair and float along to our destination with as little input as possible.
Here is a man with sense.

People need to learn how to DRIVE again. Stop adding nonsense to cars (and almost everything else), while we're losing our ability to do things for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
I am not usually a Toyota guy but it would not stop me from buying their product. It does seem like the story has gotten legs though I havent really followed it too closely. I am sure they will smooth evertyhing over very quickly, too much money involved not to.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I'm all about patriotism and "buy American" and all that stuff, but the reality is that Toyota is firmly entrenched in the U.S. economy and if Toyota fell apart it would definitely hurt 1000's of Americans and make things much worse than they are now.
That's just the way it is, as much as I'd love to see the American automakers make a financial and popular comeback of biblical proportions, at the same time I don't want to see Toyota slide into the gutter. I just wish the media would stop making the Toyota thing a witch hunt. Toyota realized the problem, accepted the blame and have come up with the fix, move along now...Damn media.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Toyota's quality is still top notch. Also, they have plants in the US that employ thousands of Americans, and I respect the Japanese companies because they are about a quality, reliable product that is actually worth what you pay for it, where as American car companies for years were about "features", not quality. And unfortunately, many still are. They spend more time in their ads talking about cup warmers and MP3 players than quality..because they still haven't caught up.

And then there is Wal-martization that has everyone buying chinese made junk that's built to break but is so cheap that you don't care. Do you guys realize that the apple juice you buy at Wal-mart or Target is made from Chinese concentrate? I just noticed this on the bottles the other day. Can it really be that much cheaper to boat tons of apple juice concentrate across the Pacific ocean than just make it from US apples? Bizarre.

Personally, I'm a Honda guy because they are one brand I actually would consider paying SLIGHTLY MORE for than I did, considering their reliability. I really can't say enough about it.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Toyota crapped the bed on this one.Their brand will remain forever tarnished.Americans are just beginning to forget about the Pinto and the Corvair.Screw us once and youre dead....were funny like that.I suspect Ford and Honda will be your forerunners now.LI Toyota Dealers are scrambling .(I have friends in the biz)Fortunately most of them own other brands but its bad....really bad.

Crooks

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

You sound soooo dramatic. Taking advantage of a situation . If I had the space, I'd nab a few if I could find them dirt cheap. In reality, there are more Toyotas on the road with no issues, than there are with issues.
Call me dramatic if you'd like, but I would rather be dramatic than just stand by and see another innocent victim of a stuck Toyota throttle. Even my comment causes just one person to think before buying a new Toyota and saves them from a potential accident, it will be worth it.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Tell me again why we can't just have a cable connecting the throttle to the pedal any more?
Some of the reasons it's done is for emission controls and fuel economy. The computer can have full control over what's going on in the engine.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It is the future. my wife last two cars had it with no problems. Its like many things that are and will change as manufacturers fight to meet the satndards set by the government for emissions and econmy. You will find less and less that has anyhting to do with driven by the engine. Wait until the GM electric car come out.I can rememeber when people thought that automatic transmissons were unsafe and certainly not reliable. People reported anti-lock brakes not stopping their vehicles too.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maybe we just need to learn and teach how to actually DRIVE again, instead of expecting to sit in an easy chair and float along to our destination with as little input as possible.
Bravo! Bravo! <standing and clapping>

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
wow this whole thing is just so mired

is it the floormat, the pedal, or what?
Its whatever cost the least to fix. Thats what it is..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion