Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

From many of these responses you'd think Toyota was the first company in the history of autodom to issue a safety recall. And it's kind of twisted how many people seem glad to see Toyota to get bumped down a notch, as if knocking them down will elevate anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
From many of these responses you'd think Toyota was the first company in the history of autodom to issue a safety recall. And it's kind of twisted how many people seem glad to see Toyota to get bumped down a notch, as if knocking them down will elevate anyone else.
you musn't come here much, most everyone on here is very pro-"american" car and they just love to bash "***" cars,

even though last time I bought an american car it was made in canada

Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
wow. that's a big difference from what i heard on CNN Headline News this morning.

They had a story saying that some had questioned why Toyota was continuing production of the vehicles even though they had no answer for the recall. Toyota's response was that, while they have no solution for the vehicles being recalled, all vehicles being manufactured right now are safe.

I guess these two stories are not contradicting one another, but how can you assure the vehicles you make today are safe but have no means to fix the ones that aren't?

Mike
You can at least narrow the problem down to the components involved even if you don't know why they've failed or how to fix them. So you build the new cars with different components that aren't faulty. I'm not sure if that's what is actually happening, but that's how it's possible to reconcile "we don't know how to fix the problem cars yet" with "but future cars are safe."

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM

172 posts, read 785,500 times
Do you think this will hurt Lexus productions/availability as well?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
Do you think this will hurt Lexus productions/availability as well?
So far no Lexus products have been recalled, which I find kind of strange. They can't have developed completely separate hardware and software for the pedal and throttle and throttle position sensors and all that for each brand.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
Quote:
Never in the history of American automobile manufacturing has a company had to halt production of such a significant portion of its lineup due to defects. Not only will this hurt their reputation, but it's going to hurt January sales and quarterly earnings. Each day plants are idle costs the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

I feel sorry for the workers who will be idled, but I do not feel sorry for corporate. They had more than enough time to act on the matter and they failed.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
It never ceases to amaze me how people do not have the common sense to put their car in Neutral if the accelerator sticks.

They taught me that in driver's ed. But I guess they don't teach it any more.

Dumb

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
It does not mean people are happy to see them fall from glory. It is just a reflection that no company is perfect. Toyota has made an image through excellent marketing that has convinced the American public their cars are borderline flawless. Toyota reliability has been declining in recent years and they are giving out a higher percentage of recalls than ever before. Many think this is a possible sign of change in the wrong direction at Toyota. One that values global domination over quality.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What I see is a response like no other makers has done to a possible safety problem Certainly not any american manufacturer. They bascallly have sid they will stop sales until it is resolved and I congradulated them If only ford had done this with the explodig gas tanks and igniton fires.What they are shopwing is responsibilty that may set a presidence in the future for recall actions.This is what consumer groups have said for decades.
Toyota has known about this for years! People have died because Toyota has failed to act and only now they are stopping production BECAUSE THEY LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL. They did everything in their power to prevent having to recall the cars because they knew it would look bad.

Please read this very good article from the Los Angeles Times. They investigated Toyota's responses to owner's complaints. In the majority of cases, the company blames the owner or road conditions. It has paid millions to owners who have complained of acceleration problems, forcing them to sign a contract promising not to talk about their car's problem. All this in the name of saving their image.

An excerpt from the Times:
"A peerless reputation for quality and safety has helped Toyota become the world's largest automaker. But even as its sales have soared, the company has delayed recalls, kept a tight lid on disclosure of potential problems and attempted to blame human error in cases where owners claimed vehicle defects.

The automaker's handling of safety issues has come under scrutiny in recent months because of incidents of sudden acceleration in Toyota and Lexus vehicles, which The Times has reported were involved in accidents causing 19 fatalities since 2001, more deaths from that problem than all other automakers combined.

After Toyota this fall announced its biggest recall to address the sudden-acceleration problem, it insisted publicly that no defect existed. That drew a rare public rebuke from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which chastised the automaker for making "inaccurate and misleading statements."

Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety problems - latimes.com

Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM

172 posts, read 785,500 times
Quote:
So far no Lexus products have been recalled, which I find kind of strange. They can't have developed completely separate hardware and software for the pedal and throttle and throttle position sensors and all that for each brand.

That's what I thought. I'm a bit concerned driving mine, but mine isn't in the model years recalled.

Too bad, I am a recent LOVER of Toyota/Lexus, and would hate for this to be the demise of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion