Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Well that's it then. Must be something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
I'm the proud and happy owner of a 1993 Camry. I'm happy because I've been under the hood and under the car checking that I have nothing but cable and metal between me and my throttle plate! (Except for the cruise control that's helping me....)

But, my daughter drives a 2003 Camry. She understands, "Put it in neutral/or turn off the key." I'll bet that CA Highway patrolman, who was killed with his family in a loaner Lexus, probably was a veteran driver who had heard that before also.

Now driving 100 mph and proving I can shift to neutral gives me no confidence because if a software-firmware system finds a new and exciting logic path, there is no guaranteeing that something around the shift lever won't also be affected! (a la CA HP??)

My 17-year old jalopy is not as fancy as today's Camrys but even it has some computer-assists near the transmission. My copy of the Haynes Repair Manual for 1993 models says (p. 7B-5), "The shift lock system prevents the shift lever from being shifted out of Park until the brake pedal is applied. The system consists of a stop light switch, a key interlock solenoid, a shift lock override button, a shift lock solenoid, a switch lock control switch and a shift lock control computer." Wow!

If my daughter has a problem, I've now told her to turn on the interior light, roll down a window, blow the horn, just activate every system that she can from the driver's seat.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
New complaints allege sudden acceleration and other problems after recall work.

Some Toyota owners have begun complaining that their vehicles suddenly accelerated even after dealerships made repairs to fix the problem, according to reports filed with federal safety regulators.

At least seven complaints, filed in the last two weeks with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, allege that after the recall service to modify pedals and replace floor mats the cars still surged out of control.

Although the allegations are unverified by the agency, they are a worrying sign that the nearly 10 million recall notices issued by Toyota may not fully address the problem of unintended acceleration -- which some believe is caused by problems in the electronic throttle system, rather than mechanical issues involving pedals.

NHTSA has said it will review Toyota electronics to see whether they are a potential cause, and the automaker has commissioned a private study of its throttle system.

<more in above link>

Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Some Toyota owners have begun complaining that their vehicles suddenly accelerated even after dealerships made repairs to fix the problem, according to reports filed with federal safety regulators.

Although the allegations are unverified by the agency, they are a worrying sign that the nearly 10 million recall notices issued by Toyota may not fully address the problem of unintended acceleration -- which some believe is caused by problems in the electronic throttle system, rather than mechanical issues involving pedals.

NHTSA has said it will review Toyota electronics to see whether they are a potential cause, and the automaker has commissioned a private study of its throttle system.
I just heard that on the radio, probably there is an electronics or software problem. They said that the first complaints of arbitrarily accelerating Toyota cars were first reported about 10 years ago, but nobody took those reports seriously back then.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
New complaints allege sudden acceleration and other problems after recall work.

At least seven complaints, filed in the last two weeks with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, allege that after the recall service to modify pedals and replace floor mats the cars still surged out of control.

<more in above link>
According to the local noon news, there have been 15 reports thus far.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The Associated Press: AP IMPACT: Toyota secretive on 'black box' data

Classy... blocking access to retrieved black boxes from crashes involving sudden acceleration

Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Classy... blocking access to retrieved black boxes from crashes involving sudden acceleration
Here's proof the NHTSA did not adequately investigate the complaints. They didn't even have equipment to read the Black box data until this past week, and they have not yet been trained how to use it.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Because the EDR system is an experimental device and is neither intended, nor reliable, for accident reconstruction. Car makers are not required to have EDR systems - it is not mandatory until a later date. Thus, the experimentation...

Now, what was that derogatory (classless) comment about?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM

The driver of a 2008 Camry, which received fixes under two Toyota recalls, wrote in a complaint that the sedan speeds up when it is started. "I can drive up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas," the driver wrote.

Amazing! Some idiots don't realize that when you start a cold engine, especially in cold weather, the engine is supposed to idle at a higher RPM. And if the driver puts the car in gear on level ground the higher RPM level will cause the car to travel up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas. Once the engine's head temperature reaches (I believe 167 degrees F) the RPM level drops. Also, a car with a cold engine will remain in 2nd gear longer before upshifting.

Should this be considered Sudden Unintended Acceleration?

Idiots!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
The driver of a 2008 Camry, which received fixes under two Toyota recalls, wrote in a complaint that the sedan speeds up when it is started. "I can drive up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas," the driver wrote.

Amazing! Some idiots don't realize that when you start a cold engine, especially in cold weather, the engine is supposed to idle at a higher RPM. And if the driver puts the car in gear on level ground the higher RPM level will cause the car to travel up to 30 miles an hour without applying the gas. Once the engine's head temperature reaches (I believe 167 degrees F) the RPM level drops. Also, a car with a cold engine will remain in 2nd gear longer before upshifting.

Should this be considered Sudden Unintended Acceleration?

Idiots!
I'm telling ya...Some people should be taking the bus..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion