Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,586,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Thanks Steve............we ALL appreciate it!
You can pretty much just "imagine" my response. At this point, we can pretty much "imagine" many of eachother's responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM

24,284 posts, read 25,784,423 times
In our travels around So CA this past month I'm surprised we didin't see Toyota's pulled off all over they side of the road. Can any one tell me why?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,209,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
Wow, this has turned into a debate between foreign vs. domestic. I just buy the best car for the money, period. When comes down to it, all companies exist to make profit.

Last car I bought was a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit; the Chevy Cobalt and Toyota Corolla were not even in the same league as far as compacts cars are concerned. Unless you are only going by mpg.
Now I'm a domestic man through and through, but I do like Volkswagen as well as Subaru.

You should have gotten a Cobalt SS

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,345,609 times
Quote:
Values of used Toyotas continue to slide, Kelley Blue Book says
Arlena Sawyers
Automotive News -- February 9, 2010 - 12:35 pm ET

Kelley Blue Book says it will lower the used-car values of recalled Toyota vehicles by 1.5 percent on Friday, Feb. 12.

It will be the second time in as many weeks that the company behind the used-vehicle price guidebook made downward adjustments to the vehicles in response to the growing supply of unsold Toyotas on dealer lots and at auctions.

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. suspended sales of vehicles involved in its massive recall until those vehicles could be fixed.

“At this point, it's clear that the market is shifting away from these Toyota products right now, allowing us to project their lowered values,†said Juan Flores, director of vehicle valuation at Kelley.

“In the coming weeks there will be much more data available on the sale of used Toyotas and any shifts in demand, which will provide greater insight into how the values of these vehicles might be affected in the future.â€

Kelley, which makes weekly adjustments to its used-vehicle values, lowered the prices of the recalled vehicles by 1 to 3 percent on Feb. 5.

Prius drops

Flores said the transaction price of new 2010 Toyota Prius hybrids, which were recalled today, have dropped about $1,000 to $1,500 below sticker price and are close to the dealer invoice value. As a result, the company is adjusting Prius’ New Car Blue Book transaction value downward.

Older Prius models are not involved in the recall but have seen a 1.5 percent drop in their used vehicle values, Flores says.

Amid an investigation of 2009 and 2010 Corollas for steering complaints by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Kelley is dropping the values of 2009 and older used Corollas by 3 percent.

Flores said Kelley expects weakened demand for Corollas and some Lexus products to continue as additional investigations continue.

Affected by the recall, and Kelley Blue Book’s across-the-board cuts in their residual values, are the 2007-10 Camry, 2005-10 Avalon, 2007-10 Tundra, 2008-10 Sequoia and Highlander and 2009-10 RAV4, Venza, and Matrix.

The action also covers 2009-10 Pontiac Vibes made by Toyota in a joint venture with General Motors Co. in Fremont, Calif., New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0f4rV70s3

Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,586,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Now I'm a domestic man through and through, but I do like Volkswagen as well as Subaru.

You should have gotten a Cobalt SS

The Rabbit's craftmanship combined with it's road manners is one beautiful automobile. Totally different league than the rest.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,641,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I would. I think they aren't making as good of a car as they were several years ago, but they are still far above the rest. This thing will go away. Look at Audi with the sudden acceleration in the 1980's and the Ford Explorer/Firestone deal. Atleast Toyota has the smarts to not try to cover it up.
You were doing fine until that last sentence. I want some of what you've been smoking.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM

143 posts, read 756,400 times
This is a great article about the whole situation: Toyota Recall: Scandal, Media Circus, and Stupid Drivers - Editorial - Car and Driver

A breath of fresh air from C&D. Usually they're too busy being BMW nuthuggers to write anything of worth.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,401,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
This is a great article about the whole situation: Toyota Recall: Scandal, Media Circus, and Stupid Drivers - Editorial - Car and Driver

A breath of fresh air from C&D. Usually they're too busy being BMW nuthuggers to write anything of worth.
Very nice, thanks for posting.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,783,547 times
we love out Rav4 since we bought it new on 06... Gonna keep it for many years to come..

Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM

874 posts, read 2,865,397 times
I personally would not buy a Toyota. The cars do nothing for me at all. My mother-in-law has a 2010 Camry. I drove it from Queens to Manhattan (took about 45 minutes due to traffic) and when I got out of the thing my back was killing me from the extremely uncomfortable seats. I also felt trapped in the driver seat. There is no room in the car at all. I had the seat all the way back and my left leg was still up against the door panel with nowhere else to put it. I am 6 feet tall so I am not extraordinarily tall where this should happen.

I do not know if this next issue has to do with the recall but there was a noticeable lag time between depressing the fuel pedal and the vehicle actually accelerating. The ride on the city streets was harsh and far from pleasant. I never owned a Toyota and after actually driving the 2010 Camry I will not in the near future either. My impression was that of an overpriced piece of garbage.

Toyota will undoubtedly sell large numbers of vehicles for years to come due to the fact that there are so many people that blindly have manufacturer loyalty when it comes to vehicles for some reason. The majority of people do not want to admit when they have been ripped off when they purchase something, especially something as costly as a new vehicle so they tend to praise it anyway and do so enough that I believe they actually convince themselves that what they are saying to other people is true.

I do a lot of side work on vehicles and have witnessed what was described in the above paragraph first hand with Hyundai loyalists. I have some steady customers whom own Hyundai vehicles and bring it to me on an average of once per month with problems and while I am working on it they tell me how great and reliable the vehicle is. It takes a lot for me to hold back from explaining to them how a car that needs repairs at least once a month is not something that can be considered "reliable".

People tend to also have a hard time believing that just because they owned a certain car brand twenty-five years ago and did not have problems does not mean that the same brand has the same quality and reliability now as the brand did back then.

The whole blind brand loyalty thing is why I tend to take consumer reviews on vehicles with a "grain of salt" as they say. Some people hate a certain brand of vehicle so much that they will complain about such small things as the size or position of a headlight switch; others swear by a brand so much that they will consider something like a transmission problem as being inconsequential to the point of not having to mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion