Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,542,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
No, it means he's describing a mixed race group of people in what some would consider an insulting way.

An "adult" nation does not go into a pop-culture frenzy over a car recall.

An "adult" nation understands they face more risk driving with distracted drivers, impaired drivers and uninsured drivers on roads that are in generally poor condition than they do from some car's mechanical problem.

An "adult" nation can have a conversation about facts without overwhelming agenda bias.

I think we lost that ability a long time ago, and it's getting worse.
Maybe I'm being unfair, but it seems to me that you're defining "adult" to mean "agree with your views". By your standard, most of the world is going to seem pretty juvenile most of the time. The problem isn't with the world - it's with your definition. All those other things you mentioned are always going to be with us and have nothing to do with Toyota's product liability issues. I think the only agenda bias visible here is your quasi-religious view that Toyota products are infallible, and any criticism of these products is unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,620,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Maybe I'm being unfair, but it seems to me that you're defining "adult" to mean "agree with your views". By your standard, most of the world is going to seem pretty juvenile most of the time. The problem isn't with the world - it's with your definition. All those other things you mentioned are always going to be with us and have nothing to do with Toyota's product liability issues. I think the only agenda bias visible here is your quasi-religious view that Toyota products are infallible, and any criticism of these products is unfair.

It is this attitude that Toyota products are infallible that is partially to blame for huge amount of attention given to this topic in the first place. If the Toyota fans here just came out and said that it was horrible, there would be much less discussion, thus much less attention.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,542,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It is this attitude that Toyota products are infallible that is partially to blame for huge amount of attention given to this topic in the first place. If the Toyota fans here just came out and said that it was horrible, there would be much less discussion, thus much less attention.
I wouldn't say that. I think it's the dramatic nature of the potential consequences of this particular problem. It's like tire de-lamination - and unlike the SUV rollovers - in one respect: you can be a perfectly careful driver and run into a problem that kills or maims you and all of your passengers. Given that Toyota is known for safe and reliable rather than exciting cars, this is potentially a crippling problem. I think the company will come back from this disaster, but for that to happen they will need to find and fix the problem. The bottom line is that this problem needs to be resolved chop chop, and no amount of hot air, advertisements, rebates or financing gimmickry will solve it for them.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,330,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I don't know if I should laugh at your diagnosis or explain to you that I'm not a Toyota loyalist. I have purchase over 20 vehicles in my short life as a car nut (if you count motorcycles) and ONE was a Toytoa.

Mature people observe facts. The facts of this recall, and just about every one I can remember as a "car guy", are very simple and the problem is rare.

I don't have any idea what "views" you think I have, other than my opinion that the American culture has a growing problem with the perception of risk. We do. And it's not healthy.

Thanks for the personal diagnosis though. Enjoy your culture of fear.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
More ridiculous right wing conspiracy theories.

Toyota, and only Toyota, has brought this mess upon themselves. Attempts to politicize this matter are beyond sad. The evidence is there that Toyota has screwed up, yet some feel the need to blame anything except the root cause of the problem.

Never mind Toyota, my point was that the government is now in direct competion with every car maker except their own car companies (GM and Chrysler). That's why they lack credibility.

I would say the same thing if Uncle Sam was ordering Ford to do, or not do something. Uncle Sam has a conflict of interest here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion