Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
You're right but the chances of the defect actually showing itself are so slim that you would have a higher chance of dying in a car crash that day. Anyone who is remotely confident in their driving should have no trouble in the highly improbable case that the car accelerates. The risk is always there though, so I couldn't blame someone for thinking about their children. I'd drive the rental without issue but its up to the OP as to what he wants to do.
I would just chance it and drive it if it wasn't for the "child" factor. For me, that's a biggie. That's just me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I wouldn't allow my 15 month old to ride in a car, such as a Toyota with a prevalent KNOWN EXISTING defect. That's just common sense.
The odds of experiencing unintended acceleration in a Toyota are smaller than the chance of being hit by lightning. (according to a NPR story last week).

I think the odds of many other safety related issues is higher than that. The risk of a fatal single vehicle accident is much higher in a pickup truck than it is for a Camry.

But I bet you would take a child into the truck without thinking about it. All because you have a mistaken understanding of the ACTUAL RISK of driving the Toyota.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The odds of experiencing unintended acceleration in a Toyota are smaller than the chance of being hit by lightning. (according to a NPR story last week).

I think the odds of many other safety related issues is higher than that. The risk of a fatal single vehicle accident is much higher in a pickup truck than it is for a Camry.

But I bet you would take a child into the truck without thinking about it. All because you have a mistaken understanding of the ACTUAL RISK of driving the Toyota.
I do not have any misunderstanding whatsoever. Obviously, someone who disagress with you, you automatically label as "wrong". In addition, you are obviosuly hung up on defending Toyota to the point of losing all common sense and direction. I had said that this would apply to ANY vehicle by any make with such a known and apparent defect - not just Toyota. That's all I have to say about it. I refuse to engage in any "Toyota" arguement because, as I have previously stated, it is all talked out.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Since every car maker has had problems with sudden acceleration. I guess you will never rent a car again.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Well... how exactly does that that work? Are those the odds for someone who owns one and drives it all the time or is the odds for someone such as myself who does not own one but has the possibility of riding in one at some point in my life?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I do not have any misunderstanding whatsoever. Obviously, someone who disagress with you, you automatically label as "wrong". In addition, you are obviosuly hung up on defending Toyota to the point of losing all common sense and direction. I had said that this would apply to ANY vehicle by any make with such a known and apparent defect - not just Toyota. That's all I have to say about it. I refuse to engage in any "Toyota" arguement because, as I have previously stated, it is all talked out.
I only defend Toyota because you seem to hate them.

I don't own a Toyota - in fact have never owned one in the 35 years I have been driving. I have also said Toyota deserves the heat coming their way over recent problems.

But your point about safety risks seems to only acknowledge the KNOWN risk of unintended acceleration. You seem to be willing to ignore other KNOWN risks of other vehicles. These other risks just aren't related to unintended acceleration.

Would you take child in one of the 10 million Fords that were subject to a cruise control recall since 1995? A cruise control failure could cause a crash. Or a GM car with the 3.8L 6 cylinder engine that may catch on fire? These are KNOWN safety risks. But I have a feeling you wouldn't pay attention to them because they aren't Toyotas.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
Quote:
If I was going to have a 15 month old in the car, I would demand they get me a different car. If it must be a Toyota, then one of the models not on the recall list. The precious life of a 15 month old cannot be compromised in any KNOWN way with ANY brand of car. If it wasn't for the child, I would just proceed with caution, but since a child is involved, it changes the situation completely.
I reccommend you watch Spike TV's 1000 Ways to Die.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Well... how exactly does that that work? Are those the odds for someone who owns one and drives it all the time or is the odds for someone such as myself who does not own one but has the possibility of riding in one at some point in my life?
According to the Lightning Safety Institute the odds of being struck by lightning are 1:280,000.

Lightning Strike Probabilities - National Lightning Safety Institute

Although I don't know exactly where NPR's estimate came from - I suspect it has to do with the number of Toyota vehicles affected by the defect and the defect rate. I suppose NPR is saying fewer than 1 in 280,000 vehicles have had the problem.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
WOW... lots of replies. Sorry I didnt get here sooner to reply with the update. I noticed on the car window this AM before we left that it had already been repaired under the recall. There was a sticker on the driverside window. It said something like it had been repaired under the Toyota/Pontiac recall for accelerator issues, etc. I meant to take a pic of it. Even when I returned the car... the lady at the counter (that I know from regular renting) said it had been replaced under recall already. She said they had 60 Toyotas in the fleet, but only 27 of theirs were in the recall and had already been repaired.

Anyway, we made it back home safe and sound... NO accelerator issues. This was actually a 2009 car (made in late 2008) with 22K miles. We had rented one identical to it in October of 2008 and a 2010 Camry back in June and went 1000s of miles w/o issues, but it was weighing on my mind. It was a relief though. I did think though to get a pic of the pedal and now I understand more on what "acceleration by wire" means (you can see the wires coming out of the top of the box where the pedal is connected). It has a yellow mark on it, which may signal it had been worked on?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
See, glad all went well as most of us figured it would. See you worried about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion