Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,023,783 times

Advertisements

I have said it before and I will say it again, if I was in the market for a newish car I would snap up a Toyota from one of these worryworts in a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,548,119 times
^ i'd buy a super cheap one. like a beater if desperate

but all other things being equal, i'd get a different brand

this just leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,875,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
could cost be a factor? or is this relatively cheap at the end of the day?
Sure cost is a factor, go see at the parts counter.

eskercurve cars can't fly typically, and have no such devices for safety, no redundancy systems to failsafe driving modes, other than limp home.

I have no idea what is responsible for this particular failure, but when the tailgate is slammed shut if Toyota still exists, there will be a sale on defective ECUs, for salvageable parts if any.

My bet is bad diodes, dirty connections, bad variable rheostats, the ECU itself, cold solder joints, and sensors. Evidently nothing that sets code.

If someone owns such a car/truck it would be wise to use it, and just be ready to controll the beast, and wait for the recall, and do it, if not the class action law suit which is sure to come.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
^ i'd buy a super cheap one. like a beater if desperate

but all other things being equal, i'd get a different brand

this just leaves a sour taste in my mouth
That is what opens up good deals for folks like me. My Tacoma is rock solid and fits my needs well. I am not a huge fan of their sedans, but my ex's Matrix is a great car and has been trouble free for 5 years.

This hysteria will be a boon to folks like me that only look for good deals on used cars.

Toyota screwed up, no doubt, but it does not scare me away from the brand. I have no real 'brand loyalty' (aside from an affinity for VWs). I have cars from 4 different manufactures and countries. I buy what suits me, regardless of brand or origin.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM

404 posts, read 1,548,119 times
are you to tell me you're not deeply cynical of Toyota?

or you're deeply cynical of this acceleration hoopla?

i am sure some sort of cynicism must be at work here!

lol

no but i get your point. chances are very small of this happening.

just remember that if you ever find yourself flying off a cliff in your used Camry

Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,158,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again, if I was in the market for a newish car I would snap up a Toyota from one of these worryworts in a second.

For once we agree.

The problem is very simple and extremely rare. It's amazing the lack of capabilities some people have.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I want to know why the transmission being put into neutral did nothing. I want to know why applying the emergency brake did nothing. I want to know why the car's brakes did nothing. None of these issues that witnesses have testified happened makes any sense whatsoever.

I agree that most of the problems with sudden unintended acceleration is with the ECM, but this does not explain what many of the witnesses say happened (or didn't happen) with the transmission, brakes and emergency brakes.
I am curious, have you suffered this fate? It reads like you have. If you have I would be interested in more details.

The one issue i can see now is the ECU is likely seeing little engine vacuum, and telling the brake master to turn off, which is a screw ball idea, but so is fly by wire.

So then there is little to no assist and it might take both feet to stop the brakes for some effect.
Parking brakes are just that, and are wrongy called emergency brakes IMO.

I do not understand why shifting to neutral, would not engage neutral, and wouldn't understand why the ecu would be or could be made to lock the tranny out in the first place, but right now and with no first hand experience on my part not much of this makes sence other than Toyota bought some would be engineers cheap, and this must be group of wanna be engineers have no dirty hand on experience and never will.

I am a X foreign car tech and in all my years i have never seen bad frames like this, then replace to go bad in months, run away cars, failed steering??!, and all the problems that have come to a head, not the surface before. It is like everyone forgot How To build a car.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,401,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
For once we agree.

The problem is very simple and extremely rare. It's amazing the lack of capabilities some people have.

I guess that makes three of us..

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
For once we agree.

That is curious, what can you tell me so I can understand?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
are you to tell me you're not deeply cynical of Toyota?

or you're deeply cynical of this acceleration hoopla?

i am sure some sort of cynicism must be at work here!

lol

no but i get your point. chances are very small of this happening.

just remember that if you ever find yourself flying off a cliff in your used Camry
No worries about me 'flying off a cliff' I know how to shift a car into neutral and turn it off. Plus, Camrys are boring, I don't buy boring cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion