U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,320,900 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

I got rid of my Toyota because it was so boring. At least now the "Thrill" is back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,715 posts, read 9,124,098 times
Reputation: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I got rid of my Toyota because it was so boring. At least now the "Thrill" is back.
So what are you now driving to get that thrill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: SWUS
5,414 posts, read 7,629,795 times
Reputation: 5781
As soon as I saw these commercials, I saw right away what they were trying to do.
I'm not fooled, but Toyota will get it back on track eventually.

As for the "government witch hunt", doesn't Congress do stuff like this about once per year or so? Big investigation into a problem that isn't really related to how the country is wrong? Toyota just got unlucky this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,524,609 times
Reputation: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
...Certain Fords are now more reliable...

"now" more reliable? How far back does "now" go? A couple years? Shoot, any new car should be trouble-free for a few years. Takes 10-15 years to know if a car is reliable over the long haul...

Anyhoo, these "We're sorry" ads must have come from Japan...if you've never been there, you simply wouldn't understand. It is a bold departure from the American corporate credo, which is...NEVER say you're sorry.

The sad part is that every idiot out there that wrecks their Toyota is going to claim it's the car's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
 
1,374 posts, read 2,252,324 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
"now" more reliable? How far back does "now" go? A couple years? Shoot, any new car should be trouble-free for a few years. Takes 10-15 years to know if a car is reliable over the long haul...

Anyhoo, these "We're sorry" ads must have come from Japan...if you've never been there, you simply wouldn't understand. It is a bold departure from the American corporate credo, which is...NEVER say you're sorry.

The sad part is that every idiot out there that wrecks their Toyota is going to claim it's the car's fault.
If a car has high initial quality, one could reasonably assume long term quality will also be high. Most people don't hang onto cars for 10+ years, and in this industry 3 or more years is generally referred to as long term quality. As it sits now, a 4 year old Fusion is more reliable than a Camry of the same vintage. Ford Five Hundreds from five years ago have been reporting excellent reliability as well.

No, I haven't been to Japan, but anybody who has studied Japanese culture knows what you are talking about. Unfortunately for Toyota, it's too little, too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
 
404 posts, read 1,209,798 times
Reputation: 219
i just think its an lol the newest ad slogan for the company is "moving foward"

i laughed when i saw that and thought 'you don't say!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Status: "Hope is a walking dream." (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Still in Portland, Oregon, for some reason
864 posts, read 2,982,643 times
Reputation: 691
I've seen the TV and the newspaper print ads...one that took up the entire back page. Truth be told, I don't like 'em. They're cheesy and just reek of brown-nosing and almost comes to the point of saying, "Yeah we screwed up but we're admitting it's a problem so now everything's fine and we want you to love us like nothing ever happened."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 AM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,458,137 times
Reputation: 4125
Nope. I still think the problem lies with the electronics. And numerous people have said that the fact the brakes cannot overcome the acceleration means the "failsafe" mechanism isn't working either.

More lies from a huge company that only cares about the bottom line, in my opinion.

And for all you Japanophiles, keep drinking the Kool-aide, I'm sure they love it. And it's really annoying too when you say its "American" just because it's built here. No. Simply, no. All the design, engineering, management, target audience placement, and well-paid positions are in Japan (or Korea). Only the crap paid line worker positions and their slightly better paid bosses are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,031,003 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
i just think its an lol the newest ad slogan for the company is "moving foward"

i laughed when i saw that and thought 'you don't say!'
ROFLMRO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,031,003 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
All car manufacturers have problems of some sort from time to time. This was definitely a problem that needed to be addressed but the media made it out to be more of an epidemic then it really was

Just like the bs on Ford Explorers rolling over. The biggest con by the media to date on vehicle safety. It's Still a larger con than todays toyota stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top