Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times

Advertisements

Anybody stupid enough to let their child ride in a 2010 Corolla deserves to lose the kids. That's complete irresponsibility. Our kids are exposed to enough risk as it is that is beyond our control. Why knowingly increase it? Now, I know people are going to hop on all of this and say that riding in any car is a risk, and that is true, but unavoidable. The Focus is a much wiser choice.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'd be looking at the Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cobalt or wait on the new Chevy Cruz to come out.
Minus the Cobalt, Id agree. The 2010 Focus is supposed to be amazing, and if its anything like my 03, Id snatch one up in a heartbeat. In the Corolla you get basic transportation, no frills whatsoever. Its great if you dont like cars, but if you value any type of performance characteristic whatsoever, the Corolla is at the very bottom of the pile. The Focus is priced competetively, looks fresh, and has one of the best chassis the car world has experienced, especially at its price level. Magazines like Top Gear and EVO have routinely praised the Focus' chassis. Ive driven so many different cars, and everytime I get back into my Focus, its like a breath of fresh air. Even in a car that is 7 years old and has 105K miles, its chassis is still above and beyond 95% of the cars Ive driven, including many "sports" cars Ive driven. I like to have fun when I drive, and the Focus offers all that and more, especially if you poke and prod its chassis dynamics, its a great car to drive.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:02 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Minus the Cobalt, Id agree. The 2010 Focus is supposed to be amazing, and if its anything like my 03, Id snatch one up in a heartbeat. In the Corolla you get basic transportation, no frills whatsoever. Its great if you dont like cars, but if you value any type of performance characteristic whatsoever, the Corolla is at the very bottom of the pile. The Focus is priced competetively, looks fresh, and has one of the best chassis the car world has experienced, especially at its price level. Magazines like Top Gear and EVO have routinely praised the Focus' chassis. Ive driven so many different cars, and everytime I get back into my Focus, its like a breath of fresh air. Even in a car that is 7 years old and has 105K miles, its chassis is still above and beyond 95% of the cars Ive driven, including many "sports" cars Ive driven. I like to have fun when I drive, and the Focus offers all that and more, especially if you poke and prod its chassis dynamics, its a great car to drive.
For some reason I have a soft spot for the Cobalt SS so I push it down everyones throat lol. Nice sporty little car and it'll move.

Your right though, the Focus would ultimately get the nod from me as well. Me and the wife have a 01 ZX3 5spd. going on 190,000 miles we use for commuting, still runs like a champ. Other then coil springs and the fuel pump that were both covered under an extended TSB, it's only had a timing belt, valve cover gasket, pass. side motor mount and other routine maintenance. Hell, it's still going on the factory clutch. Great little car.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM

174 posts, read 596,754 times
Today's corrola looks bland and cheap. Several years back it was the leader in its category. That is not the case today. You would be better off if you considered a Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Honda Civic or even a Mitsubishi Lancer.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Thanks all. But I can NOT consider any other new cars. It is either this or a 5-10 year old car with over 100K miles. I need to keep my monthly payments in a certain range. Used cars in my area are few and far between, and expensive, way over valued, and I have a very poor interest rate right now affecting payment. The Corolla is the only thing I could afford new. The lease payments are MUCH lower than Focus and Mazda 3, even with my employee pricing. The Corolla is almost $100 less a month.

That's why I ONLY wanted opinions on if I was stupid to buy a Corolla from a safety standpoint. I don't care that it's not the coolest looking car out there.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
I also don't care if it is slow. I have to buy a new car cuz I was driving too fast and totaled my last car. I have a lot of speeding tickets. Slow is better for me, lol. The slower the better! If I can safely merge onto the interstate it is fast enough. I test drove it, got on the interstate, did not get ran off the road.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Safety is not an issue at all with Corolla or any other Toyota. Toyota has addressed and fixed those problems. Almost everyone today with a Toyota that claims their throttle is stuck is a con-artist, just like the guy in California with his Prius.

Whatever cars you are considering I encourage you to read user reviews on sites like MSN Auto, Edmunds, CarComplaints.com, etc.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Don't listen to those on here who claim Toyotas are unsafe. Get the corolla, no safety issue is present at this time.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Anybody stupid enough to let their child ride in a 2010 Corolla deserves to lose the kids. That's complete irresponsibility. Our kids are exposed to enough risk as it is that is beyond our control. Why knowingly increase it? Now, I know people are going to hop on all of this and say that riding in any car is a risk, and that is true, but unavoidable. The Focus is a much wiser choice.
That is a very ignorant thing to say. Fear mongering at its worst. You might as well say to get behind the wheel of any car is unsafe with all the idiot and drunk drivers out there.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Safety is not an issue at all with Corolla or any other Toyota. Toyota has addressed and fixed those problems. Almost everyone today with a Toyota that claims their throttle is stuck is a con-artist, just like the guy in California with his Prius.
Keep believing that, but the fact is that these incidents ARE real and they ARE safety concern. Toyota has been trying to cover up this for a long time in order to maintain their reputation, but all of their credibility has been lost. If this wasn't a true safety concern, the federal government would not be investigating Toyota for the defects. The resale value on all of them has plummeted, a co-worker of mine who went to trade off his '07 Camry after all of this news received pennies on the dollar for the value, but he's now happily driving a Ford Fusion. Toyota needs to come clean with American public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion