Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times

Advertisements

Public opinion of Toyota's quality plummets in new survey - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Quote:
In two short years, Americans having a positive perception of Toyota's commitment to building quality cars has plummeted to 21.8% from over 80%, according to the findings of the latest survey by Britt Beemer at the BeemerReport.com

Only 31.8% of Americans believe Toyota can rebuild its quality image, the verdict is still out about their ability to recover. Some 22.1% are undecided whether they can rebuild the quality image and 18% don't think Toyota will be able to do it.

"While their reputation is on the line, Toyota's problems don't stop there because buyers are now wary of the Toyota brand," says Beemer. "Toyota has some real selling to do just to convince current Toyota car owners to buy another one."

But will current Toyota owners save the day?

Maybe, the survey finds. The survey revealed that consumers who have purchased Toyotas in the past are evenly divided about whether they will buy another one in the future or not. Of these potential buyers, 52.6% will no longer consider buying a Toyota car in the future.

American car manufacturers may ultimately be the benefactors of Toyota's quality issues, according to Beemer. Due to Toyota's quality issues, 69.1% of car buyers are more likely to purchase an American-made automobile. That number is up from 38% two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Obviously they have the ability to rebuild their "quality" image however so does any company. It's just going to take a while. I expect Ford to climb to the top of what the public perceives as "quality".

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
well, they didn't poll me. I still have two Toyota's parked in the garage and still haven't had any problems with them in 10 and 3 years, respectively. I would still buy another Toyota too.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Public opinion of Toyota's quality plummets

Hopefully, this means that Toyota dealerships will be offering some good deals.

I'm looking at buying a Toyota right now.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Let's see...we'll conduct a poll in the middle of a national news story about major recalls and people dieing in accidents caused by "sudden acceleration" and see what the percieved quality is. I'm sure Ford's and Firestones percieved quality plummeted during the Explorer debacle and both seem to have recovered quite well.

I wouldn't put much credence into any poll. People vote for these things with their wallet. While I wouldn't buy a Toyota (it has nothing to do with the current recalls, I just don't like them) there are plenty of people who will especially when the discounts and financing deals start coming in.

The American public has a dismally short memory for such things. Within 5-10 years no one will even think about this incident and depending on how Toyota handles it even that time can be shortened with the right "apology" on the hood of the cars.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
I think those statistics are false. Lots of people are still going out and buying Toyotas (God knows why?)

I myself have never cared for Toyotas. In spite of them benig very reliable mechanically, I have never liked the way they looked, with the exception of a few cars (The 2010 Camry SE for example) and the Corolla SRX

As for Ford greatly improving in quality, I see it as a good thing that at least ONE brand of American cars will sell again. I would really like to see Chrysler make a comeback as well

Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I think those statistics are false. Lots of people are still going out and buying Toyotas (God knows why?)

I myself have never cared for Toyotas. In spite of them benig very reliable mechanically, I have never liked the way they looked, with the exception of a few cars (The 2010 Camry SE for example) and the Corolla SRX

As for Ford greatly improving in quality, I see it as a good thing that at least ONE brand of American cars will sell again. I would really like to see Chrysler make a comeback as well

I've also preferred Fords in American made vehicles. That is, until they went to plastic radiators.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Toyota's quality will recover just like Ford's did 10 years ago when SUV's were flipping over left and right. The real issue is how they are handling this. It has been months since these issues have come up and they still do not have a solid excuse why so many different models are effected. The Toyota stock hasn't had a real hit thanks to this which is very surprising. However, the Ford stock went up like 20% (I purchased Ford 2 days after this mess started).

Toyota's ownership of having the best cheapest car rep is ruin for probably 5 years. What this does is give a choice for another maker to capitalize. If one can, it will be Ford or Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion