Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
is it me, or am i the only one who thinks the fj cruiser looks like an imitation hummer h2, or h3?
Just like almost everything Asian, they simply take a good concept, then run with it.

Have you ever seen the original FJ's from Toyota? Take a look at this blatant rip off! If I were Jeep, I would have sued their nuts off.
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/toyota_fj40_landcruiser.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:40 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just like almost everything Asian, they simply take a good concept, then run with it.

Have you ever seen the original FJ's from Toyota? Take a look at this blatant rip off! If I were Jeep, I would have sued their nuts off...

I think it's a little late for that. In 1951, Toyota was requested to built vehicles with Willys specs for the US Government.

Willys later asserted their claim to the name Jeep, so Toyota started calling theirs vehicles Land Cruisers. They had 6-bangers and performed better than the Willys.

TOYOTA JEEP

Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
All I know is I LOOOOVVED my early 90s 4 door 5 speed Corolla. What a great car. I have always lusted after a 4 runner but out of price range.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think it's a little late for that. In 1951, Toyota was requested to built vehicles with Willys specs for the US Government.

Willys later asserted their claim to the name Jeep, so Toyota started calling theirs vehicles Land Cruisers. They had 6-bangers and performed better than the Willys.

TOYOTA JEEP
Yep, Jeep would have had to sue Toyota for making a far superior Jeep.

FJs were way better. Boxed frames, stouter drive trains and just a better package.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I had a 1984 Toyota Camry. It was a great car and wish I had it back.

It had great reliability, excellent fuel economy, and a large trunk. Fuel economy was very much emphasized in this era as the country went through two oil shocks in 73 and 79. Right by the auto trans were TWO auxillary buttons. One button Econo and another Pwr. If you engaged the Econo button the fuel economy actually went up by 3-5 mpg which was quite significant for its time.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:

Have you ever seen the original FJ's from Toyota? Take a look at this blatant rip off! If I were Jeep, I would have sued their nuts off.
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/toyota_fj40_landcruiser.jpg (broken link)

I like the old Land Cruisers, but never owned one. I did go to the dealer and try an FJ, what a nightmare. The salesperson couldn't get it in or out of 4 wheel

Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yep, Jeep would have had to sue Toyota for making a far superior Jeep.

FJs were way better. Boxed frames, stouter drive trains and just a better package.
Without Jeep (or American cars in general), the Japanese would have NOTHING. Remember that.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Without Jeep (or American cars in general), the Japanese would have NOTHING. Remember that.
So? What is the point? The Japanese copied the British more that the Americans, at least at first. They also taught us all a thing or two.

I just don't understand this bigotry towards any manufacturer.

I look at what a car has to offer me, regardless of origin.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

I look at what a car has to offer me, regardless of origin.
As do I.

I just dont get how beautifully styled, big-engined, streamlined old American cars were once the world standard, now little, ugly, plastic, wheezy, put-put uninspiring Toyotas are. Mind-boggling.

I quote Brian Setzer: "I'm wondering, as time rolls on, where all that style from 1959 has gone."

Good question.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM

604 posts, read 750,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
All my life I have never liked Toyota or found their cars very appealing. I understand mechanical reliability is probably of utmost importance, and up until recently Toyota has been real good at that.

But I have never liked the styling of their cars, I find most of them bland and uninteresting. They are getting better at it, but still all of their cars just scream "boring" to me. The 2010 Camry SE look good though with its more sporty look and alloy rims compared with the normal Camry LE but thats about it

Perhaps its because I am still young and how a car looks is important to me but dont people have any taste or sense of style? Even with all the recall issues I still see Toyotas EVERYWHERE on the roads when I am out driving. I mean dont people have a desire to be different and not boring and gray like Toyota and their cars? Its like watching these convoys of Camries, Corollas, Priuses, and Rav-4's on the road

I own a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, which even as old as it is, it is still eye-catching to many people. I usually get complements on the chrome tail-lights, among other things. My car looks and runs like brand new because of how I keep it. But I am not biased against Toyota because I drive a Nissan. I have NEVER liked Toyota even long before I bought my car

Does anybody else here not like Toyotas cars, or am I just weird?

I dislike them too!
I thought I was the only one!

Maybe someone should create an underground group "THA"
Toyota Haters Anonymous... we will rise..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion