Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg survey says Americans turning away from Toyota, liking Ford — Autoblog

Interesting article on the popular trend away from Toyota and to an automaker that arguably has product that is better in every way than the Toyota alternative.

The question for ya'll is, would you buy a Ford over a Toyota? As a former Ford or Toyota owner? Does anyone not think that the Ford product lineup is simply better than Toyota's anymore, regardless any reliability issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Simple answer NO. Ford offers nothing that I want. Toyota does. The rav4 is far away better looking and a better value than the Escape and Ford has nothing that compares to the 4Runner or Tacoma.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:15 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
You mean, other than the F150, Flex, and Explorer?

Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Neither the flex nor the explorer can do what a 4WD 4runner can. And the f150 is full size, the Tacoma is not.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:45 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
If you want a small pickup then yea, Toyota is the way to go...for now. Ford has stopped making the Ford Ranger this year and will reintro it for 2012. I really like how the Escape looks but overall does not compete with the Rav4.

4Runner over Explorer? Thats a different story. Toyota has failed on numerous models. The Matrix has become a joke. The Yaris isn't selling that well. No one buys a Sequoia. The four models Toyota made there money are; Corolla, Camry, Prius, and Tacoma.

Now that Corolla, Camry, and especially Prius are ruin from all the bad press this year...all that leaves is the Tacoma. I really expect the new Ranger to take a good share of those looking to purchase a small pickup. I think that is a market aching for competition.

F-150 has become a truck staple in the US. If you want a normal size truck, you go F-150. With the new Fusion, they have become players in the sedan world. I think the Tarsus is overpriced to be taken seriously but at least that model isn't a joke.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Neither the flex nor the explorer can do what a 4WD 4runner can. And the f150 is full size, the Tacoma is not.
Elaborate.

Personally, I've been looking at a Fusion hybrid. Going 40 mph on electric ftw. And it is comfortable. And it is reliable. And it will save you money at the pump.

Toyota itself said that they focused too much on expansion.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
If you want a small pickup then yea, Toyota is the way to go...for now. Ford has stopped making the Ford Ranger this year and will reintro it for 2012. I really like how the Escape looks but overall does not compete with the Rav4.

4Runner over Explorer? Thats a different story. Toyota has failed on numerous models. The Matrix has become a joke. The Yaris isn't selling that well. No one buys a Sequoia. The four models Toyota made there money are; Corolla, Camry, Prius, and Tacoma.

Now that Corolla, Camry, and especially Prius are ruin from all the bad press this year...all that leaves is the Tacoma. I really expect the new Ranger to take a good share of those looking to purchase a small pickup. I think that is a market aching for competition.

F-150 has become a truck staple in the US. If you want a normal size truck, you go F-150. With the new Fusion, they have become players in the sedan world. I think the Tarsus is overpriced to be taken seriously but at least that model isn't a joke.

Regarding your 3rd paragraph-----I doubt the vast majority of Corolla and Camry owners feel that way !

My 2007 Camry never had the gas pedal stick.
67,000 miles of completely trouble free driving and a consistant 33 mpg----------why would I look elsewhere.

Also, my Camry got rated 5 out of a possible 5 in reliability.

Why would I look elsewhere ?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
The Matrix has become a joke.
Really? According to who?

Decent mileage, decent price, very flexible and capable interior, and not bad to drive.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Now that Corolla, Camry, and especially Prius are ruin from all the bad press this year.
These cars are not ruined from the bad press. They have not changed one bit.

If you know someone that thinks they are ruined and they want to sell cheap, DM me, I will gladly take it off their hands. Well, maybe not the Prius, I did not like them much to begin with.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Another example of folks believing the hype.

Toyota has problems, no doubt. But the hysteria surrounding this is a whole other story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion