U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,279,514 times

Advertisements

I've been informed by my car insurance company that my premium has increased due to my 2008 Lexus IS 250. I pacifically asked was it due to the Toyota models recall, she said no however it is a possibility. I do not think I should be liable to pay increasing rates that are beyond my control due to Toyota's negligence.

Do I have legal grounds to sue Toyota?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM

18,102 posts, read 16,645,847 times
No, quit whinning, if you don't want to pay the insurance go elsewhere or get another vehicle.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,301,599 times
Are you from California?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM

13,416 posts, read 42,768,615 times
As a practical matter, go to any good independent insurance agent, they should be able to shop roughly a dozen firms and find one that will give you a good rate.

Different insurance companies view different people and vehicles differently. The difference between the best rate you will be offered and the worst will surprise you.

There is no one company that "kicks butt" across the spectrum, for example Mutual of Enumclaw writes mostly in rural areas, had my house and cars with them when I lived in Idaho.

You can of course sue any person or firm at any time for any perceived wrong - but good luck with that...

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,346,543 times
well other factors can raise your insurance premiums
Many factors affect the premium you will pay for auto insurance. Each is a statistically based risk for a specific population. The higher the risk associated with a person, the more he or she is likely to pay for coverage. We have elaborated on some of the risk factors below, but there are numerous others, including driver's gender, miles driven per year, purpose for using the vehicle (commuting to work, using for work, leisure only), etc.\
    Statistically, drivers under the age of 25 are at greater risk of being in an accident than those over age 25. Drivers between the ages of 50 and 65 generally have the safest records.
    Women are statistically safer drivers, but that trend is changing as more female drivers get on the road.
  • Marital Status
    A married person will pay less than a single person with an identical driving record.
You can think about these factors and determine what you can do to change them in your situation. You may be able to save on insurance based upon these decisions:
  • Geography
    Where you live makes a difference. Folks living in areas with little or no traffic are likely to spend less on insurance than those living in congested cities or suburbs because areas with a lot of traffic tend to see more accidents. Some neighborhoods also have a higher rate of vehicle thefts, which can result in a higher premium.
  • Driving Violations
    Having an accident or moving violations on your record (speeding tickets, DWI, reckless driving, etc.) put you at a higher risk for accidents and will likely mean a higher premium. Some insurance companies will penalize you for your record for as many as five years from when the incident occurred. However, keep in mind, as your record improves, your premium will get lower.
  • Vehicle Type
    A cheap car will cost less to insure than that status symbol SUV sitting on 24" rims.
  • Accident Claims
    A driving record that is clean and free of accidents will hold far better for you than lots of tickets and/or accidents.
  • Credit Rating
    Many insurance companies view having a poor, or even no credit history as suggestive of higher risk and thus, charge you a higher premium. Monitor your credit rating free to see if you can get a better score. A better credit score will save on insurance premiums.
  • Occupation
    Insurers have statistically found a correlation between your occupation and risk. For instance, a newspaper delivery person is most likely a higher risk than the personal banker sitting at their desk all day.
  • Education
    A higher education can save on your premiums.
  • Driving distance to work
  • Miles driven each year
  • Years of driving experience
  • Business use of the vehicle
  • Whether or not you currently have auto insurance and how high are your limits
  • Theft protection devices (often results in discounts)
  • Multiple cars and drivers (another opportunity for discounts

Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM

There are no other issues. She specifically told me that the rate increased due to my Lexus period. Every year my insurance goes down but this year it increased and she said because I have a Lexus is why. I asked her does it have anything to do with the recalls and she said that is a possibility which is not fair to me to have to pay more money for something that isn't my fault. If the Toyota stock holders are suing, I should be able to sue also.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,207,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I've been informed by my car insurance company that my premium has increased due to my 2008 Lexus IS 250. I pacifically asked was it due to the Toyota models recall, she said no however it is a possibility. I do not think I should be liable to pay increasing rates that are beyond my control due to Toyota's negligence.

Do I have legal grounds to sue Toyota?

Your rates did not go up due to your vehicle type. Someone on your policy did something stupid. Unless the sales broker told you, "yes, Lexus and Toyota are more expensive now" and I still wouldn't believe that. I know a few companies have increased their premiums. I know Allstate did, 4% more for the same exact policy. We are getting a sick deal and they are the only major company where I can be on the same policy as my parents. 24 year old with a v8 sports vehicle and I only pay $100 a month. If I were on my own, it would be $300.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Your rates did not go up due to your vehicle type. Someone on your policy did something stupid. Unless the sales broker told you, "yes, Lexus and Toyota are more expensive now" and I still wouldn't believe that. I know a few companies have increased their premiums. I know Allstate did, 4% more for the same exact policy. We are getting a sick deal and they are the only major company where I can be on the same policy as my parents. 24 year old with a v8 sports vehicle and I only pay $100 a month. If I were on my own, it would be $300.
She DID say it was because I have a Lexus. Where else would I have got this from if it wasn't what she told me.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM

18,102 posts, read 16,645,847 times
In your original post you said that she said no to that question and now you said she say yes? You're contradicting yourself.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM

She didn't say it was due to the 'recall' but the car/Lexus which is basically the same thing. Why would the price go up out the blue there has to be a reason for it. The only reasonable possibility is the recalls and when I specifically asked was it the recall she said it's a possibility. So she basically admitted to that being the cause without making herself liable for saying it so she/insurance co. won't be hit with a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion