U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times

Advertisements

First off... yes, I do have one.

I've had it for three years and I've been very happy with it...you might even call me a *gulp* fanboy. My wife isn't on the FJ bandwagon though, and keeps trying to get me to trade it for something else. She has these silly complaints about how you can't see out the back of it, that it chugs gas like a M1 tank and that it looks like a bloated bumble bee.

I owe A LOT less than it's worth and can afford a comparable vehicle just fine, so financial reasons are not an issue, though there isn't a budget for yet another car.

So, tell me the truth, because I can't see out of my box on this one. Should I give my wife what she wants, or tell her she's S.O.L.?

Last edited by Chango; 05-26-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM

232 posts, read 495,949 times
I hear the windshield cracks on it alot. It was on my possible buy list before, but then I decided the older FJ60/62 was a better overall SUV for offroad and I liked that look much better.

I say sell it, give your wife what she wants, then get a used FJ60/62 for @$4k for you to play with.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
there comes a point in a mans life where he has to stand up for his toys
I say if you enjoy it and it's your hobby I would keep it as long as it keeps a smile on your face while driving it.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times
I'd hold on to it if it were me. The only gripe I have with the FJ (I've never driven one or been a passenger in one) is the tail light that sticks out. Just a minor design gripe, otherwise I like it.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM

3,698 posts, read 9,982,342 times

Just don't get it in blue.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,117,088 times
I liked it when it first came out, but am not a fan anymore.

Reasons to get rid of it:

1) Toyota is discontinuing the FJ (strong rumor). Resale value will sink.

2) Like your wife said too many blind--spots.

3) Like you said poor gas mileage.

4) It looks like a Tonka Truck.

5) Already mentioned poor windshields.

You said you are financially sound--I would personally get rid of it now.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,918,052 times
It's a unique vehicle and I've met some unique people who drive them...but I just don't care for the look. It looks like a toy car and isn't exactly what I'd call 'practical'. But hey if you like it, keep it.

What exactly does your wife want? If she wants a small SUV and if price isn't a concern, the new Lexus RX350 is a GREAT option. I've been seeing more and more pop up, very nice vehicle.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It's a unique vehicle and I've met some unique people who drive them...but I just don't care for the look. It looks like a toy car and isn't exactly what I'd call 'practical'. But hey if you like it, keep it.

What exactly does your wife want? If she wants a small SUV and if price isn't a concern, the new Lexus RX350 is a GREAT option. I've been seeing more and more pop up, very nice vehicle.
I'd like to think of myself as "unique" but I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing....

It is a bit "form over function", but it does work very well out in the dirt, and we do a lot of camping and backcountry exploring so it isn't a total lifestyle misfit. It isn't the best daily driver, however.

My wife wants a full-size truck or a 4-door Jeep, BTW...

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,117,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'd like to think of myself as "unique" but I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing....

It is a bit "form over function", but it does work very well out in the dirt, and we do a lot of camping and backcountry exploring so it isn't a total lifestyle misfit. It isn't the best daily driver, however.

Just get the new 4Runner--that should meet all of your needs. One amazing truck!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

if she wants a 4-door jeep maybe you can convice her to go with the jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon edition. It will have similer off road performance as your FJ also if you still want a toyota and she wants a pick-up the tacoma TRD off-road pkg is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion