Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

I agree it is total BS, and will cost. if you don't have state inspection then you can swap out and no one will ever know. ME i NEVER PLAN TO HAVE A NEW CAR FOR THE FOOLISH THINGS ON THEM. just the way it is....

I suppose one day there will be a law that no longer grandfathers older cars either, but so long as there is metal, welding rods, and parts my cars will live to see another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
My truck, I'll do what ever I want with it. Besides, that may not apply to all states and what if you decide to change the type of rims on your truck?. I'll rip everyone of them out by the roots if I have too.
This is how you become "at fault" in a accident. If a lawyer discovers you disable safety features it will not matter if you get hit by a drunk driver - you will be at fault.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
I see that it said it was mandated for vehicles made after September 2007, mine was made July of 2007. So as I see it, mine doesn't qualify.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This is how you become "at fault" in a accident. If a lawyer discovers you disable safety features it will not matter if you get hit by a drunk driver - you will be at fault.
There is a big difference between Ohio and California highway laws. In Ohio, a drunk driver is a drink driver no matter how you cut it and they are at fault in a accident if they blow over the legal limit.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree it is total BS, and will cost. if you don't have state inspection then you can swap out and no one will ever know. ME i NEVER PLAN TO HAVE A NEW CAR FOR THE FOOLISH THINGS ON THEM. just the way it is....

I suppose one day there will be a law that no longer grandfathers older cars either, but so long as there is metal, welding rods, and parts my cars will live to see another day.
They don't look at the tires for anything other than the amount of tread that's on them and most of the time, not even than here in Ohio.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
I just went tire shopping for my 07 Saturn. One of the sensors is gone as the steel wheel had to be replaced and I got a replacement on eBay. I asked a local chain store (an auto repair/auto parts store found in many states) and I was told they would not make me replace it. All it does is flash the idiot light for a bit then it stays on permanently after that.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Try again:

Try this:

History

The first passenger vehicle to adopt tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) was the Porsche 959 in 1986, using a hollow spoke wheel system developed by PSK.[citation needed] Major TPMS manufacturers are BERU f1systems Continental AG, Schrader Electronics,[1] Advantage PressurePro LLC,[2] Lionax Inc.,[3] Stemco's BatRF,[4] SmarTire Systems, Shanghai Baolong Industries, Siemens VDO, Beru AG, TRW Automotive, ETV Corporation PL (VisiTyre Battery-less TPMS),[5] Pacific Industries, Schrader-Bridgeport,[6] EnTire Solutions LLC, NIRA Dynamics AB (Tire Pressure Indicator), Transense Technologies, IQ-mobil GmbH (RDKS),[7] APRI s.r.o., and STE Engineering.[8]
Due to vehicle safety and maintenance economy, TPMS appeared more widely in Europe as an optional feature for top range luxury passenger vehicles, like the Audi A8, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and the BMW 7 Series. In 1999 the PSA Peugeot Citroën decided to adopt TPM as a standard feature on the Peugeot 607. The following year (2000), Renault launched the Laguna II, the first high volume mid-size passenger vehicle in the world to be equipped with TPM as a standard feature.[citation needed]
The Firestone recall in the United States in the late 1990s which was attributed to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following a tire tread-separation, pushed the Clinton administration to publish the TREAD Act. This act mandates the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) sold after September 1, 2007.[citation needed]
Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. While in the U.S., TPMS legislation grew from safety-related motives, European Union (EU) and Far East legislators are looking at TPMS as a way of reducing CO₂emissions, and are presently considering compulsory tire-pressure monitoring systems from this environmental stance.[citation needed]
Regardless of U.S. and EU legislation, the introduction by several tire manufacturers of run flat tires makes it mandatory for car manufacturers to fit a system where the drivers are made aware the run-flat has been damaged. When under-inflated or "flat" the run-flats are designed to be used at no more than 80 km/h (50 mph) for no more than a distance of 80 km, and this is why it is mandatory that runflats are monitored by TPMS. They have received a mixed reception from the public due to their impact on comfort with a harder ride and high replacement costs.[citation needed]
Lastly, the most recent advance with TPMS technology is the introduction of battery-less direct-sensor systems which require zero maintenance and are very reliable. VisiTyre is the first of this new class of battery-less TPMS which allows pressure on demand readings immediately from ignition and unlike radio-frequency TPMS systems is also transparent to all tire construction types.[5]
Audi is the first car maker to attempt to comply with the US TPMS legislation using an indirect system, with the launch of the Audi A6 model year 2009. Since its introduction NHTSA has tested the system, however an official report of conformity with a PASS/FAIL assessment is yet to be released. There are many reservations on whether or not this system complies with the regulation, by admission of Audi themselves in the vehicle's owners manual there are several scenarios in which proper performance of the indirect TPMS system is not guaranteed (like sporty driving or winter conditions and many others), however Audi is confident that the car is able to pass the regulation test procedure. Unfortunately for Audi the test procedure, as stated on the document itself, is not enough to guarantee compliancy with the regulation, but this is up to NHTSA to assess.[citation needed]
[edit]

Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Well of course I'm not saying to do this, but some who have 4/wheel drives with large tires have been known to go to the hardware store, buy a 2" pvc nipple with a end cap on one side and a vavle for the otherside, just throw your sensors in glue them up and pressure the thang up to say 32psi via the valve. then just throw the home made contraption under your front seat. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I just went tire shopping for my 07 Saturn. One of the sensors is gone as the steel wheel had to be replaced and I got a replacement on eBay. I asked a local chain store (an auto repair/auto parts store found in many states) and I was told they would not make me replace it. All it does is flash the idiot light for a bit then it stays on permanently after that.
Love the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Well of course I'm not saying to do this, but some who have 4/wheel drives with large tires have been known to go to the hardware store, buy a 2" pvc nipple with a end cap on one side and a vavle for the otherside, just throw your sensors in glue them up and pressure the thang up to say 32psi via the valve. then just throw the home made contraption under your front seat. PROBLEM SOLVED!
I think a small piece of electiral tape over the light will be the cheapest way to deal with it. I know now that per the NHSTA you cannot tamper with the MIL, but you don't have to have the TPM's in you tires.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah and if not looking to spend a bunch on money get a set of 8-hole eagle alloy rims they look good on off-road trucks they look nice without all the "bling"
I love this rims, were did find them and how much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion