Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,915,565 times

Advertisements

My wife and I flew to Cancun for a week, and never saw the ocean. We're bird-watchers, and we headed straight into the jungle, and stayed there until it was time to go back to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,904,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
More likely it's the brown sand.
LOL.....what about the PINK sand in Bermuda?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,041 times
My hubby hates the beach and sun...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,607 times
grew up near the beach for most of my life....started taking birth control pills, stopped tanning easily and burned like crazy--No fun--up to that point was at the beach or pool all of my free time.

married pale red head, have 2 pale red headed preschoolers...we don't do sun or heat very well. I think it would take CLEAR water at any kind of lake or beach to get me back in and SPF 100, wide brimmed hat and lots of breezes. The NC/SC/GA beaches I have been around have too many things nibbling on my toes or stinging me that I can't see coming!

Give me a trip to Europe or Canada to explore a city and museums. I can lounge around at home for cheap. I prefer active vacations. Hiking in the mtns works well for us too!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM

48 posts, read 158,165 times
I wouldn't say that I hate it, but sandy beaches aren't particularly interesting. I live about 30 minutes from a sandy ocean beach, and maybe go once every 2 years. The restaurants and such built near the beach are great, though, and I go there for those!

To be fair, there are lots of other kinds of beaches. Rocky beaches in ME, CA, OR, etc. Volcanic beaches in Hawaii. Glaciers that go to the water in Alaska (maybe not a beach, exactly, but still a coast). Mangrove coasts in parts of Florida. These are all much more beautiful than sand beaches, in my opinion.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,314,800 times
I don't like going to the beach, because it bores me.
I'm not a water person, so I don't bathe. My skin doesn't like the sun, so I don't sunbathe.
And there usually are tons of noisy people, making the place anything but restful, especially when they "splash" sand all over you
But I like watching the sea - so I do it in the winter if ever I'm close to a beach. But there again, I don't do that very often.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,004,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I don't like going to the beach, because it bores me.
I'm not a water person, so I don't bathe. My skin doesn't like the sun, so I don't sunbathe.
And there usually are tons of noisy people, making the place anything but restful, especially when they "splash" sand all over you
But I like watching the sea - so I do it in the winter if ever I'm close to a beach. But there again, I don't do that very often.
Believe me, *not* all beaches are noisy and crowded!
You just have to know about the right ones, and be able to get there.

I love love love the beach.
Always have, always will. We go to the beach often now that we leave so close.
I love to swim, and I love all the creatures that live in and near the water. We put up some shade, we bring water, and we spend a couple hours swimming, frolicking and walking and just sitting.

Having said that, I do understand (and probably already said this earlier in the thread) that not everyone likes the water or wants to spend a bunch of money to visit the beach.
Nor should they.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,867,191 times
I used to be a complete beach buff, to the extent that some friends nicknamed me "beachcomber"! I could spend endless days on beaches, getting suntanned, doing calisthenics, reading, taking dips, snorkeling, windsurfing,picknicking etc but not anymore , because :
- the best things get old after a while
- I read some frightening things about skin cancer, and as I'm turning 55, I'm slowly starting to be aware of this kind of health issues,
- I don't enjoy the proximity of sometimes boisterous and half naked people and screaming children so much anymore,
- I still enjoy the beach, but after 2 or 3 hours I'm stiff bored now!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,882,430 times
I prefer the beach and I never get bored. The only place I feel at peace, can socialize (there's no alcohol there, thank God), live healthier, and be very active. The only place in the world that I'm a really happy person in.

Some of you that live at the beach or near a beach, I'd trade places with you any day!! LOL! But I'm hoping to be moving to Daytona, Florida by next year or the year after, sometime.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,882,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I used to be a complete beach buff, to the extent that some friends nicknamed me "beachcomber"! I could spend endless days on beaches, getting suntanned, doing calisthenics, reading, taking dips, snorkeling, windsurfing,picknicking etc but not anymore , because :
- the best things get old after a while
- I read some frightening things about skin cancer, and as I'm turning 55, I'm slowly starting to be aware of this kind of health issues,
- I don't enjoy the proximity of sometimes boisterous and half naked people and screaming children so much anymore,
- I still enjoy the beach, but after 2 or 3 hours I'm stiff bored now!
You can get skin cancer anywhere, really. On a farmland, desert, beach, lakes, walking a long time in the middle of summer in the big city, and etc. Anywhere outdoors. Doesn't matter. LOL!

I don't mind the half-naked people and screaming, happy children. Better than being with violent, obnoxious screaming grown people at a bar. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel