Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Unfortunately women seem to love it, but I hate it.

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid, it smells like dead fish, sand gets everywhere, the waters salty, theres creepy fish around you that might bite you, its crowded, fish use that water as a toilet, etc. I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city. Even a place like Lake Tahoe where the water is fresh and has no creepy fish in it.
After reading several pages of responses i think its just the two of us that feel this way Turk,
Actually i think the beach is quite picturesque from a restaurant,bar or hotel room with a view of it,but to actually go and walk or sunbathe on it? no thanks and as for swimming in the ocean? too many things with sharp teeth and or sharp poisonous spines and spikes.
Beaches in my opinion are highly over rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid, it smells like dead fish, sand gets everywhere, the waters salty, theres creepy fish around you that might bite you, its crowded, fish use that water as a toilet, etc. I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city. Even a place like Lake Tahoe where the water is fresh and has no creepy fish in it.
Although I can enjoy myself at the beach, it does get boring pretty fast. Plus, they tend to look alike after a while so I don't get all excited over the beach. I live in So California and can count on ONE HAND the number of trips I made to the beach in the past decade! My ideal vacations are within cities and other popular touristy destinations as I love to DO things and sight see. Most folks I know love Hawaii and, even though I'd love to visit someday, it isn't my first choice of vacation destination. I would prefer to visit NYC, New England states, NE Canada as well as other parts of the US, Canada and abroad.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Dude im the same way too! I dont see whats the point of going to gross, sandy place that will make you all gross and sandy and get your hair all disgusting. And the water is so nasty. Its not pretty. Its just brown colored. Or dark blue. Yuck. And all you do it just sand there or float while the waves continue to push you over and and ugh. I hate the beach. Sand gets everywhere. The water is salty and gross. You cant even swim in it or see through it. I would much rather be at the pool. Its weird. Im obsessed with the pool but i hate beaches

Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girltech101 View Post
And the water is so nasty. Its not pretty. Its just brown colored. Or dark blue. Yuck.
You have obviously never been to a nice beautiful beach like the ones on the North Shore of Hawaii... the lagoons at Ko Olina Resort or Nankuli (although I wouldnt suggest going there if you are not with a local). And I havent even been to Maui which from what I hear has even nice beaches!

I use to feel the same way until I started going to the nice beaches in Hawaii. Now my whole life goal is moving to Hawaii to retire so I can enjoy the beach every day!!!

I will say most of the beaches I have been to on the mainland are still gross. The best one I have experienced so far is Cocoa Beach. The water there is fairly clean. And It's not all commercialized.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:

I know of many places near lakes that are far more humid than the ocean beaches - and lack the beautiful sounds of water lapping the shore, gentle breezes to cool you.

Dead fish smells6 - obviously you are going to places that I don't go; creepy fish - never have been bitten by a fish, and private beaches aren't usually crowded.

Let's see: the mountains - where the wild animals with teeth that might bite you, claws to scratch you, snakes to strangle or bite, land that those wild animals use as a toilet, the air smells like poo, vermin and insects - creepy crawlies on my skin, tics in nasty places....

the city - no fish, but lots of wild animals, some on 2 legs; rats, smell of rotted vegetables and fruit (try walking down 86th St in Brooklyn on a warm spring day - oh my god, the dump smells better!); people with knives, screaming and horn honking, people bumping you as you walk, snatch your wallet or purse and people who use the street as their toilet! or sidewalk as their trashcan; dogs on leashes who use the sidewalk as their toilet and no one picks it up; fleas and roaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Sattar View Post
I love the beach! I love the ocean air and the sound of the waves crashing in. I love swimming in the ocean more than lakes. It seems fresher to me.
If I could afford to live anywhere, I would choose a small house on the beach. Give me sand to sweep out daily, the sound of the water on calm days, the pounding in a hurricane, the smell of the salty air, swimming in a current so it's a challenge, the churning of the waves..... sounds like heaven to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girltech101 View Post
Dude im the same way too! I dont see whats the point of going to gross, sandy place that will make you all gross and sandy and get your hair all disgusting. And the water is so nasty. Its not pretty. Its just brown colored. Or dark blue. Yuck. And all you do it just sand there or float while the waves continue to push you over and and ugh. I hate the beach. Sand gets everywhere. The water is salty and gross. You cant even swim in it or see through it. I would much rather be at the pool. Its weird. Im obsessed with the pool but i hate beaches
Brown or dark blue water. Girl, I don't even want to know what sewer you go to.

Give me the beautiful aqua color of a warm sandy beach any day. BTW, if you think water only comes in dark blue, you have never been to some of the most beautiful beaches in the warmer places and you have probably never been to NJ beaches in the summer. Your experiences are limited and it's a shame you are making such a broad-sweeping generalization based on limited experiences.

Seeing the stingrays in the shallows of a caye in the Bahamas; looking for a 6-pointed starfish on the bottom, 6 feet down; watching a pod of whales in New England.......... you don't know what you're missing.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
I guess it depends on how you spend your time on the beach. My wife absolutely loves the beach so here's a short video of a hotel on a beach that I took my wife to to celebrate her birthday a few years ago:

Hotel Negresco Nice video - YouTube

And here's another example of a beach vacation. I guess staying at a place like this on the beach would be just disgusting to the OP and others who hate the beach:

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort - YouTube

Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 AM

664 posts, read 1,027,518 times
I love te beach but my last two vacations have been awful due to bad weather.Love Hawaii beaches, truly the best.The problem with is the long trip from NY. I can't stand long flights anymore. I don't I will be taking anymore beach vacations. The rain will find me.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

And here's another example of a beach vacation. I guess staying at a place like this on the beach would be just disgusting to the OP and others who hate the beach:

I wouldnt say a nice beach is disgusting i'd just be more interested in doing other stuff like renting a scooter and exploring the area, mini golf,museums and other points of interest,restaurants and bars,fishing all sound more interesting to me than sitting on a beach.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
I love looking out at the ocean but not a fan of laying out on the beach. Im extremely fair and burn within minutes. Add that I am busty so buying a swimsuit is an unpleasant adventure. I hate sand stuck on my feet and sitting around in a wet suit bugs me. So beach vacations really aren't a thing Im into. Would rather walk and sight see.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times
And seaweed... what's the deal with seaweed? (from a 2008 Cape Cod trip)

Despite being fair-skinned, I like the beach. Being from Kansas, the beach is still a novelty to me, even in my 30s.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel