U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 PM

9,068 posts, read 8,336,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Beaches are boring. I never vacation on a stupid beach. Completely waste of money. I might as well lie on my bed.
Thank goodness the world is big enough that there is something for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Sometimes, people need a break from the rat race. The beach can be just what they need. Of course, not all beaches are created equal. And it can matter WHEN you go. For example, if you're looking for peace and quiet, stay away from Venice Beach over the 4th of July.

For me, when I'm at a beach resort, I'm only at the beach part of the day. Maybe early afternoon for a few hours. The rest of the time, I find something else to do.
I am not at any race while not on vacation either. I just don't think lying on the sand is any more comfortable than on a couch or bed. I think the whole beach culture is acquired: people are taught lying on the beach is a luxury thing to do.

Does one really need a beach to "relax"? That's not convincing at all. You can relax under a tree, on the hill, in the farm or a swimming pool. Just don't see why beaches are particularly relaxing. It is like some women loving diamonds only because they were told diamonds are good.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,787,535 times
Quote:
I am not at any race while not on vacation either. I just don't think lying on the sand is any more comfortable than on a couch or bed. I think the whole beach culture is acquired: people are taught lying on the beach is a luxury thing to do.

Does one really need a beach to "relax"? That's not convincing at all. You can relax under a tree, on the hill, in the farm or a swimming pool. Just don't see why beaches are particularly relaxing. It is like some women loving diamonds only because they were told diamonds are good.
For me, it is usually relaxing. I guess there's something about the noise of the waves, the sound of kids playing in the background, the sun. And then there are all the girls in thong bikinis.

As for the beach culture being "acquired"? I'm sure it is. I never gave it much thought until I moved pretty much right on the beach in San Diego. At one point, I could walk to the beach without even crossing a street. Anyway, it can grow on you. And somehow, it beats blizzard conditions in Minneapolis or wherever.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Quote:

While spending more than a few hours a beach is more than enough for me, part of it is that I grew up with the beach being no more than 20 minutes away so going to the beach was never a special thing. However there is something soothing about the sound of the ocean, it is a popular relaxation sound, it works for some people. There is also something about looking out to sea and seeing no end to the water, you can begin to see why people once thought that you could fall of the edge. I think that you'll find that the people that enjoy beach vacations are the ones when going to the beach is a rare event, I'm sure that there are some people who live in the woods that wonder why people would want to spend a week in a cabin or city dwellers that wonder why people want to come to a busy city and have to deal with the hustle and bustle of city life. Vacations are about going to somewhere different and experiencing a different way of life.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:55 PM

14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Quote:

Why are you arguing? So you don't like beaches, fine. Others do. I like them & I don't. I prefer to be in the northwoods however the last vacation I took I went to an island off of Nicaragua. I laid on the beach to get tan, swam in the ocean, laid in a hammock & fell asleep to the waves of the ocean, walked thru the jungle to town to get awesome cheap food & drink, etc. I don't have to be convinced that going to a beach is awesome because I don't think all beach vacations are awesome. You make it what you make it. No need to argue about it for the sake of arguing.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 PM

607 posts, read 1,167,988 times
I don't hate the beach, but it wouldn't be my first choice to vacation. All the family vacations we took when I was younger was to the beach. Now in my 30's, I've expanded my horizons, so to speak.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:

No. The beach is what it is because the ocean is there. The ocean draws me, calms me. Nothing is wrong when you are floating in its waves, separated from everything. It's the source of all life. Even in the winter when snow is on the beach, the ocean speaks.

I don't go on vacation to the beach because I live five miles inland and can go whenever I want. I would never be able to live in the middle of the country. The idea of living so far from the sea makes me feel panicky.

I know not everyone connects to the ocean that way. I was once married to someone who didn't like the beach and so I didn't go for years. Bad mistake. Plus what he did really love more than anything else in the world was beer. Lol. But the ocean problem should have been the first tipoff that he had no soul.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,590,064 times
I agree that beaches are overrated....I don't mind being on the beach, but I dont romanticize it as being paradise or anything.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:26 PM

9,534 posts, read 7,826,428 times
I would much rather sit in a lawn chair on the shore of a mountain lake or reservoir watching a bobber float around than sit on any beach anywhere in the world.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 PM

1,450 posts, read 875,635 times
I do not care for beaches either. They are too crowded and being out in the direct sun is not so hot for me.

Then, when I was in my twenties, I liked the beaches, so, maybe there is some sense in the idea that age might change ones idea about beaches. Think about it? A person in their twenties gets a sunburn and slaps on some skin cream and has the making of a good base, but someone over sixty might be more cautious about skin cancer and less inclined to desire a tan, as most older people are do not look so hot showing lots of skin.

The crowds also bother older persons more and the best bathing beaches are crowded. Some beaches were it is never very warm make for good walks and they are not crowded, thus what one means by a beach is also a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel