U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,209,325 times

Advertisements

I'm not a beach fan, either. I hate the fact that the sand sticks to you everywhere and, because I have very sensitive skin, it causes me to break out in rashes. I'm not into the "beach culture." Water sports, beach volleyball, drying out one's skin in the sun and salty water, etc. Not my idea of a good time or vacation.

Sunscreen only goes so far -- people who spend a lot of time in the sand and surf look like hell when they get older. Deeply tanned wrinkles aren't attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,503,259 times
LOVE the beach!!! I want to retire on the beach! This year, I have scheduled 3 trips to the beach simply because I enjoy the sun and sand and the sound of the waves!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 PM

13,036 posts, read 22,010,926 times
I love beaches , but they mut be empty, with little to no development nearby and prefer them in Winter during storms. Lying on a beach as a vacation or going to a beach resort is my idea of hell.

A Pacific deserted beach on the West Coast of British Columbia or Ireland, now we're talking... Beaches come in many different "shapes and sizes".

Tropical beaches with people drinking cocktails on loungers... not my idea of fun. A romantic windswept Scottish beach or even somewhere in Malaysia with nobody around has quite a lot of appeal though. I am first and foremost a "water baby" so being near the ocean always makes me feel better and gives me a sense of inner peace and belonging.

What developers do to beaches around the world is shocking though. The Mexican Mayan Riviera must have been so, so beautiful a hundred years ago, now it has been spoilt and ruined.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,209,325 times
Mooseketeer,
The English Lakes District is one of my favorite places on Earth. So very, very lovely! Magical, too, with the Beatrix Potter and William Wordsworth connections/homes. I spent part of a lovely vacation there several years ago!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM

117 posts, read 214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Unfortunately women seem to love it, but I hate it.

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid, it smells like dead fish, sand gets everywhere, the waters salty, theres creepy fish around you that might bite you, its crowded, fish use that water as a toilet, etc. I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city. Even a place like Lake Tahoe where the water is fresh and has no creepy fish in it.
Actually I would like to say how ironic your post is compared to my situation. I LOVE the beach...! however the missus does not; we often get into arguments about where we go in the summer time when I want to go to the beach. I think that she may be only person in the US that likes the fact that we cannot go to the Florida beaches due to the BP oil spill

Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,314,364 times
I think I'd enjoy the beach more now than I ever did. But I do enjoy the mountains and the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep. I love the beach...it's in my genetic makeup I think.

THIS is my perfect beach.
Siesta Key Florida Beaches | Photos and Information.
Sarasota has beautiful beaches. I wonder if the oil has hit Florida's west coast yet.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 AM

5,739 posts, read 12,439,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Unfortunately women seem to love it, but I hate it.

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid, it smells like dead fish, sand gets everywhere, the waters salty, theres creepy fish around you that might bite you, its crowded, fish use that water as a toilet, etc. I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city. Even a place like Lake Tahoe where the water is fresh and has no creepy fish in it.
When you think about it, all the stuff you says is true, and it makes one wonder why anybody would want to go to the beach

Personally, I neither love nor hate the beach. I used to live in Florida, so I went every now and again. I dont like getting all dried out from the salt water, or sand getting in my crack, or the sun burn. But you go with your friends and have a good time

Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,781,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but fish, as well as other wildlife use fresh bodies of water as a toilet too. Maybe you should stick to the city pool.
I'd take my chances with the fish & wildlife, before I'd consider swimming with a bunch of diaper wearing kiddies!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 AM

49 posts, read 90,619 times
we only like boardwalk and fries

Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 AM

173 posts, read 337,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep. I love the beach...it's in my genetic makeup I think.

THIS is my perfect beach.
Siesta Key Florida Beaches | Photos and Information.
And there's a drum circle on Siesta Key... Sundays until sundown. Bring a chair or a drum, just listen or drum and dance...

It's a great way to end a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel