U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,009,862 times

Advertisements

There's nothing I love more than the smell of salty air at the beach, and walking along the shore to have the tides lap at my legs. In fact, ocean water always makes my legs and feet feel better. Hot sand makes sore feet feel refreshed. I'm the only one in my family that worships the beach. None of my parents and brothers thought it was a big deal.

My husband's not wild about it. He'll go but only tolerates it because of me.

Some people don't like hanging out at the beach because they can't relax doing "nothing". In other words, it's simply boring to them. I can do nothing really well.

Interesting to note: I never, ever, go to the Oregon beach. Water's too damn cold and it's often to windy. And I'm not interested in coastal storms like a lot of people are. So I go to California for it.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 06-16-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,153,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Mooseketeer,
The English Lakes District is one of my favorite places on Earth. So very, very lovely! Magical, too, with the Beatrix Potter and William Wordsworth connections/homes. I spent part of a lovely vacation there several years ago!
My husband and I are already planning for our first "kids-free" vacation for when the kids are both grown, and this is where we want to go. The more I read about it the more I want to go BEFORE the kids are grown! We want to tour as much of the UK as we can manage.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
My husband and I are already planning for our first "kids-free" vacation for when the kids are both grown, and this is where we want to go. The more I read about it the more I want to go BEFORE the kids are grown! We want to tour as much of the UK as we can manage.
Oh, you need to do the Lake District with the kids. Ours had a blast in a 'Castle' country home with turret and very high flag pole on the very top. The kids and their new-found 'engish' buddies explored and were on the go all the time.

We stayed at Capernwray Hall, as our friends were on staff there, but there are many nice joints to hang out in the area. We visited a great country toymaker on Christmas Eve, and he showed us all the 'good-stuff' he had been crafting over the winter..

Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,437,341 times
I LOVE the beach. That's why I moved to San Diego. Now I get to enjoy running/skating/biking by the ocean every single day. Nothing like it!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,009,862 times
There is one thing I dislike about the beach, though, and that is sand on my greased-up body. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the lotions.

And if it's an overly breezy or windy day, it isn't fun getting sprayed with sand, either. Unfortunately, wind goes along with beaches most of the time.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM

19,561 posts, read 17,809,660 times
I live only 30 minutes from the beach and only go there 2 to 3 times a year. I much prefer the mountains. No big city for me, just mountains.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,609,628 times
I like the beach, if its a boardwalk or something on it... I don't like just sitting around laying there...
I'm not much of a "fun in the sun" person. I.E... you guys can go lay on the beach, splash in the water... I'll be up at the beach bar talking and having a beer or watching the game.

Quote:
I'm not into the "beach culture." Water sports, beach volleyball, drying out one's skin in the sun and salty water, etc. Not my idea of a good time or vacation.
I feel ya.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:19 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,954,077 times
The truth is that the beach is a pretty gross and annoying place. I used to surf before work a few times a week, and years of that have dispelled my illusions about beaches.

They are repositories of all sorts of floatsom and junk. That soft sand you walk on is full of seagull poop, insect larvae (they migrate from the water's edge to the shore at dawn), decayed dead marine creatures, ship oil, foam scum, and seaweed. Most tourist beaches have giant tractors which groom the sand around sunrise so the crap gets mixed in enough that you don't see it.

Sand is a nightmare. When you are a regular beachgoer, it gets everywhere. It's hardest on cars, bicycles, and other machines with moving parts because it gets in small crevices and joints, and puts and abrasive into the lubricants. It's impossible to seal against it because it sticks to anything greasy or wet, blows around, and always finds cracks to infiltrate.

The salt air is almost as bad on machinery. During periods of high surf, you can feel it in the air sticking to your skin and coating you in a thin layer of salt grime. It smells bad because you are smelling decaying plants and animals floating in the giant soup bowl of the ocean. I've never sniffed a soap or shampoo called "ocean breeze" that ever smelled ANYTHING like the actual ocean. Nobody would want to rub that scent on themselves!

My favorite type of beach is actually rounded hand-sized cobblestones. They move too much to grow slippery gross moss or sharp barnacles (unlike a straight lava shelf or boulders), but they are too heavy to be held in a muddy suspension (unlike sand). Pebbly beaches have beautiful clearer water, smell better, and it's fairly easy to get in and out of the water. Large-grain hawaiian sand like that on the north shore of Oahu is also pretty good. Mud flats and muddy fine-grain sand is the worst.

Early in the morning, the ocean smells the worst. The air is calm and the surf tends to be best, but it often smells like a toilet or like dead seaweed away from public beaches. Mid morning is the best beach time. If it's sunny it warms up and a light breeze usually blows from the land out to sea, keeping the stench away and grooming the surf. By early afternoon, the typical diurnal cycle brings the winds onshore, fouling the surf, and bringing in the salty air. The sun usually has baked out the bad smell, but beaches are windiest (with blowing sand and poor surf) in the early afternoon, when most people go. Evening sometimes brings calming winds and a glass-off. The air is still warm, and twilight at the coast can be very pretty, so I'd rate it as the second-best time if the wind settles down.

Now there are some beaches which break the rules; like the gorgeous islands of the Maldives, but for beaches in the US lower 48 and more common tourist coastlines, the above descriptions usually hold true.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,078,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Unfortunately women seem to love it, but I hate it.

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid, it smells like dead fish, sand gets everywhere, the waters salty, theres creepy fish around you that might bite you, its crowded, fish use that water as a toilet, etc. I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city. Even a place like Lake Tahoe where the water is fresh and has no creepy fish in it.
you must go to some crummy beach it seems. You also can go to say a white sand beautiful florida beach in cooler wether but still warm enough to swim. I use to spend October in destin;noramlly very nice that time of eyar. Its like going to colorado i winter ;not the best tiem except for to ski.Defenite don't want o be i a cnocret ciyt druing summer but then evryone is different.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM

924 posts, read 1,391,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Unfortunately women seem to love it, but I hate it.

Every time I hear about someones dream vacation its always some island or sandy beach. But to I loathe the beach and think its disgusting. Its humid,

Other places can be just as humid, cities included

it smells like dead fish,

Cities can and often do smell like smog. The country can smell like cow maure.

sand gets everywhere,

So does litter in the cities

the waters salty,

The city water has pollutants and harmful additives

theres creepy fish around you that might bite you,

There's creepy people around you in the cities that might assault you

its crowded,

The city's crowded

fish use that water as a toilet, etc.

Humans use the sidewalks as spitoons and other public places as toilets

I much prefer vacationing in the mountains or a nice city

Good. More room for us beach-goers
Took his post a little to far, don't you think?

Nothing wrong with hating the beach. I love it, but i'm not about to prove how your opinion is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel