U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 AM

76 posts, read 254,061 times

Advertisements

This is probably a very stupid question, but I seriously don't know how to do this. I'm in my early 20s, tired of being cooped up in my current area, and I'd like to get out there and see what places other than my own state are like. Only problem is I'm just TOTALLY lost about how to go about experiencing new places.

The largest reason I feel so lost is because I feel like my limited array of interests would lead to me doing almost nothing if I went somewhere. That is, the only thing I know I like for sure is heavily unconventional music (house, lounge, nujazz, melodic synth music like Lone, some underground hip-hop), video games, and perhaps foreign languages. From this "large" list of interests, I figure I might find some stuff to do for a couple hours, but after that, I'd immediately be bored and end up tucked away in my hotel room. All of this before the first day of my trip is even half over with!!

My next issue would be that I'd be highly likely to travel alone. I have no circle of friends and I'm not really interested in going with family since all their lives are complicated with other things (children, work, etc.). So pretty much, if I'm alone and bored where I am now, I feel like it'll just be the same story if I vacation somewhere else.

I sometimes try to look around the web and find events and places that may cater to my interests if I travel. However, I always stop myself because I feel like I'm just going about it the wrong way. It's like what I'm looking at may seem interesting, but I feel like I'm robbing myself I don't branch out and see new things. Buuuuut, since I'm bad about trying new things, I can't get a feel for out of the norm things that may interest me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 AM

6,159 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Some of the best trips I ever had were one's that I took without making any plans ahead of time. If driving just hop in the car and go. Along the way if you see something interesting, then stop and check it out. I would suggest stopping for the day early in the afternoon. Check into the motel and then just go for a walk. You will be surprised what you will see along the way. After dinner you might want to step out for a drink. Do not stay out late or you will not want to get up the next morning and half the day will be wasted before you get going. If you really like the town, then maybe stay a second day. Maybe take in a show. On a whim take a guided tour of somewhere.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilladoesitbetter View Post
The largest reason I feel so lost is because I feel like my limited array of interests would lead to me doing almost nothing if I went somewhere. That is, the only thing I know I like for sure is heavily unconventional music (house, lounge, nujazz, melodic synth music like Lone, some underground hip-hop), video games, and perhaps foreign languages. From this "large" list of interests, I figure I might find some stuff to do for a couple hours, but after that, I'd immediately be bored and end up tucked away in my hotel room. All of this before the first day of my trip is even half over with!!

My next issue would be that I'd be highly likely to travel alone. I have no circle of friends and I'm not really interested in going with family since all their lives are complicated with other things (children, work, etc.). So pretty much, if I'm alone and bored where I am now, I feel like it'll just be the same story if I vacation somewhere else.
One suggestion: Go to France (especially Paris) for the Fête de la Musique.
The Fête takes place all over the entire country of France. It is live music in the street, literally everywhere. ALL KINDS of music. If you went to Paris, I am sure you would find the kind of music you enjoy. We were in central France for the Fête in 2004, and I was in heaven--our little town was seething with bands everywhere, all playing their hearts out.

It's okay to travel alone. You would meet kindred spirits.

Closer to home (I assume you are American) go to New Orleans for Voodoo Festival. It is a similar atmosphere. I dragged my husband there last year, but I'd go alone if I had to. Everybody is an instant friend because everyone is there for the same reason: to enjoy music.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,961,429 times
Sounds like you have the spirit of adventure. You wouldn't believe how many people I know DON'T have it...they think I'm crazy for traveling as much as I do.

I'm limited by my teenager. But this summer we are going where the wind takes us!

First, open your mind up to traveling and consider it a learning experience, social experience as well. I browse states' travel and tourism sites- the official ones, getting their brochures mailed to me.

Just got one from Arizona....hey! If I did'nt already have plans I'd be going to the annual ET convention out near Roswell. Never done THAT before.

So be adventurous!

You might also try cruising- a great, and cheap way to explore some ports of call.
Amtrak- got a station near you? Jump on the train and go someplace.
Got a few bucks to fly? Catch some great 50 buck tickets to San Juan, Cancun, or whereever!

Like video games? Check out the tech shows around the country...I think Vegas has great ones.
Music lover? Got a fav band/group? Hop their tour! Meaning, go where they go for a week- get some new experiences under your belt.

But most of all, have fun!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,172,744 times
If you go it alone, then just be carefull. Tell family where you are going. And what your plans are.Go somewhere safe and just use common sense. I'm not trying to be one of those people, but just don't end up on the news as a missing person. Since you haven't traveled before, I would not just wing it my first time. Do research, and plan ahead. Once you've had a few trips under your belt, then you can go where the wind will take you! Have FUN!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM

11,682 posts, read 14,437,337 times
Try out a music city. Austin is known for its music scene and you'll never be bored with the array of choices, even underground. Take a short trip, 3 days maybe over a weekend when the scene is lively.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Montreal Jazzfest happening next week.
.Montreal Jazz Festival 2010 | Festival Outlook

Also coincides with Montreal's international fireworks festival.
Welcome to montreal-fireworks.com

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM

322 posts, read 984,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilladoesitbetter View Post
This is probably a very stupid question, but I seriously don't know how to do this. I'm in my early 20s, tired of being cooped up in my current area, and I'd like to get out there and see what places other than my own state are like. Only problem is I'm just TOTALLY lost about how to go about experiencing new places.

I sometimes try to look around the web and find events and places that may cater to my interests if I travel. However, I always stop myself because I feel like I'm just going about it the wrong way. It's like what I'm looking at may seem interesting, but I feel like I'm robbing myself I don't branch out and see new things. Buuuuut, since I'm bad about trying new things, I can't get a feel for out of the norm things that may interest me.
Hey my name's dylan. I liked your post there because it reminds me exactly of myself but i do love to experience the outdoors and nature and for that i actually do prefer to be alone. well i can give you some advice on what you might want to do. Sometimes it's just better to get out of where your at right now and just see different places and different things. It really can free you of any notions you might have about yourself and especially good is that no one really knows about who you are when you travel to different places because most likely you won't know anyone wherever you might go which is a great thing =) =)

because your free of any reputation you might have within your community this will be a great way to just reinvent yourself and trust me the curiousity of being somewhere else for a change will definitely keep you intrigued to no end.

At least it did for me well good luck man on your travels. take care

Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 AM

70 posts, read 86,977 times
You should definitely travel to other places. I'm the same age as you and don't have any friends at all to go with so I like to go travel a lot.

I admit I was a little bit scared when I went to travel to Washington DC ....alone . Now that I'm over with my fear of being alone in a different place, it feels awesome to have the freedom to discover hidden places along the way and do what you want to do.

In fact I have travel a lot this year alone. I have been to New York city, Washington DC, Chicago, and now I'm on my way to go to Seattle/Portland for the first time in the next couple of days so I'm excited for that.

I recommended you do some research on where you want to go and check to see which one's interesting for you. Just remember to not just stay in your hotel room all the time. Get out and just Explore the area. believe its worth it.

Traveling alone also gives you the independence and you get to see what the world is out there. Plus you get to meet interesting people on the way where you get the chance to communicate and get to know them also.

If I were you, you should check out large cities like New york city, Boston, Washington DC, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, and even Los Angeles. But Definitely check out other places around the world such as Europe, Canada, Asia, South America. But

Believe me, it is not so bad to do traveling on your own and you will enjoy every minute of it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,186,194 times
Oops, I missed this the first time around b/c I was in Peru.

I was the same way you are when I was that age, but you just. . . go. Start with short weekend trips to a city within manageable distance and work up. Maybe find a concert you'd like to attend but leave the rest of it up in the air. Talk to anyone who's open to talking, whether they're your "type" or not. Walk anywhere and everywhere, though try to stay out of the bad areas. See museums that you don't think you'd be interested in, b/c many people discover that they like something they had no idea they'd be interested in. Lots of backpackers travel alone, so that wouldn't make you odd, and they stay in youth hostels, which is an easy type of place to meet people, due to the communal areas and obvious topics for conversations.

Or, if you'd prefer the outdoors, camping by yourself is fun and forces you to open up and start conversations so you won't get lonely. It's also good to do this for safety reasons--know your neighbor. When I camp by myself, I park my tent near others so they'll hear me scream if anything happens, but of course, nothing does. In other words, don't let fear stop you, but be smart about it. Keep a non-judgmental attitude about you and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel