Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 AM

25 posts, read 63,524 times

Advertisements

I need help with this answer, please help me. I take 10 mg of lisinopril everyday and am going to be travelling a lot soon. Will the pills remain safe and undamaged if I keep them in the prescription bottle? Is there something that people do to keep their pills safe from breaking or getting damaged while travelling? Should i put a cotton ball in the prescription bottle or is that unescessay? Please help me and let me know what the correct way to travel with prescription medication is, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
First, you should always travel with your medications in your carry-on bag, not checked baggage. Baggage often gets lost, so you should keep your meds with you.

It should also be kept in its original prescription bottle, especially for international travel, so there's no question that you're carrying legitimate prescription drugs if your bags are inspected.

I travel a lot with meds and never had a problem with breakage.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Same as above, but one thing to add. My prescriptions get filled as 90 day supplies. The pharmacy has no problem splitting some of the prescription into a second smaller bottle. Usually I ask them to put the length of the trip plus 5-10 days (depending on where I'm travelling to) into the smaller bottle.

Make sure the bottle is labeled with both the brand and generic name if it's filled as a brand name medication.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I know the OP asked about a pill, but another couple of points...

I'm diabetic and have to travel with insulin and associated paraphernalia. With the security issues involving liquids, I also carry a letter from my doc, on letterhead with his contact info plainly stating my needs. I don't ever take any meds out of their original bottles either.

I know a couple of people with special med issues who take advantage of some of the shorter, "special needs" screening lines available at some airports.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I know the OP asked about a pill, but another couple of points...

I'm diabetic and have to travel with insulin and associated paraphernalia. With the security issues involving liquids, I also carry a letter from my doc, on letterhead with his contact info plainly stating my needs. I don't ever take any meds out of their original bottles either.

I know a couple of people with special med issues who take advantage of some of the shorter, "special needs" screening lines available at some airports.
Actually the special needs/families lines are generally longest and/or slowest. The experienced traveler lines are the shortest and fastest.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the special needs/families lines are generally longest and/or slowest. The experienced traveler lines are the shortest and fastest.
There are separate "experienced traveler" lines?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Pills won't "break"...don't put cotton in the bottle....it can "sap" some of the strength from your meds.
If you are traveling with narcotics, keep them in the RX bottle. Other meds,....no one cares...pack them however you like.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
There are separate "experienced traveler" lines?
Yes, the TSA has broken the lines into three groups at most airports.

From TSA: TSA Announces Expansion of Diamond Lane Self-Select Pilot to Orlando, Boston, and Spokane Airports

Quote:
a series of lanes designated by signage that directs passengers based on their travel needs and knowledge – Expert, for the business traveler who flies several times a month; Casual, for passengers that travel less frequently, but are familiar with the security process; and Family/Special Assistance, for passengers traveling with small children or strollers, elderly passengers and passengers who may need special assistance.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, the TSA has broken the lines into three groups at most airports.

From TSA: TSA Announces Expansion of Diamond Lane Self-Select Pilot to Orlando, Boston, and Spokane Airports
I fly a minimum of 2x per month, usually more, and I have yet to see this at any of the airports! I've been to both SLC and Denver after February, and don't recall seeing it.

From the article, it seems that you choose the line that you feel fits you best. I'm willing to bet no one will admit needing "special assistance" and the casual lines will have very long lines anyway.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I take a lot of medicines, enough that the bottles take up precious space in my carry-on. So I do something else, although it's a bit time-consuming.

I separate my meds into groups for the numbers of days I'll be gone (plus one extra, "just in case"). Then I place them inside tiny zip-lock bags, which are then added together in a sandwich-sized bag WITH the RX info for all of them. I use the separate RX "receipts" from the pharmacy; if I don't have it, I write it on a piece of paper and slip it into the bag.

I also keep a "health information" chart in Excel that lists all my doctors, my health history, treatments, and all my meds. I keep it current with any changes and always have one with me when I travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel