U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,650 times

Advertisements

Staying with my relatives is horror. They are up all night yelling and screaming at each other. There is only one bed for every three people and no one seems to like each other much. HOTEL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
I hate staying with friends/relatives. You have to find their out of the way place, and clean the bathroom, and they get offended if your leave before daylight the next morning. I can sleep more comfortably in the reclined passenger seat in my car, than in most peoples bedrooms.

However anybody can stay at my place. I take hitchhikers home and put them to bed and set them back out on the road in the morning.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 AM

25,673 posts, read 24,324,237 times
It depends on where I go. If its in a town where I have friends or relatives, and am invited to stay there, than thats what it is, otherwise a hotel works good for me, gives me the ability to grab a nap if I so choose, or just want some 'me' time, can have it.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM

6,166 posts, read 6,334,585 times
While I love my family very much, I start climbing the walls the first day if I stay with them. I now have enough hotel points that from now on I will get a hotel whenever visiting them.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,858,525 times
I love staying with family and friends.

I've got lots of friends who stay with me and whom I stay with; that's usually why I'm in the area.

I also do couch surfing and offer my home to others doing the same.

I'm also very cheap. I travel almost every weekend and find that I can travel more (with less stress on the pocketbook) by hooking up with buddies when possible.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
My husband and I are going up to PA next month to visit his very large family. The rest of his brothers and sisters who live all over the Mid Atlantic area are going to all stay (and attempt to sleep) at his parents house. They live in a very small 1950s era rambler with three bedrooms. 14 people will be staying at the house.

My husband and I love to TRAVEL to visit friends and relatives but want to stay at a motel or hotel and then go over to the friends house late in the morning after a good nights sleep. This always causes severe conflict with friends and family. They insist we stay with them and we insist we stay at a hotel. But sides get angry after the insisting is done.

My brothers parents and siblings are especially angry that we stay in a hotel instead of their home. So one time we backed down and stayed at their house and slept on the air mattress. Trouble was neither of us slept a wink and there was noise in the house 22 hours of the day.

How about you, when you travel to visit friends and family, are you pushed to stay with them even though you would prefer to stay in a motel? If you do stay with family or friends can you sleep well in the guest room?
They expect you to sleep on the floor? No way. Insist on going to a hotel.

I sleep at my sister's but she has a nice bed for me and my hubby and an extra bathroom. We use to sleep on her sleeper sofa when we were younger but since her daughter has moved out and we get her bedroom. It's very comfortable. No one should expect you to be uncomfortable and they are lucky you are willing to pay for a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or