U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Don't take this the wrong way--because I'm not really big on the outdoors myself. But in terms of the bolded statement, what does it matter? You're not planning on going to the beaches, so there are other things to do. In my area, there are museums, there are playhouses/theatres, there are other tourist attractions. You could go see musicians in some larger venues. I don't personally enjoy drinking, but I do like to go to bars for karaoke, to play pool, or darts, or trivia games. If you like drinking, I think there's a place here called "World of Beers". (well, Sarasota, but close enough).

Not knowing what you DO like to do, I can't advise you more than that. Performing arts, visual arts, museums. Maybe food. That's my list of things you could do that don't really involve the outdoors...or shopping, per se.
Well, I do like to look at the beach through the window. LOL And also, if the oil is screwing everything up, there won't be many people there. Not that I want a crowd, but I don't want to be the only person there either.

Although, you and the others offer great suggestions, I have so many limitations that most of them won't work for me. Music, for instance, is very limited because my husband and I do not really care for modern music. I do like smooth jazz, but he doesn't. We both like the "traditional" standards ala Sinatra, Fitzgerald, etc., but there aren't many opportunities to hear that kind of music performed outside of NYC, I'm afraid.

I like the bar atmosphere but television has really ruined it. Nobody talks any more they just sit there and drink and watch television. At least the bars I have been to lately, that is. In sports bars, of course, they scream at the television, which isn't very much fun either.

As for beer...well I'm afraid your "world of beers" would be wasted on me. My husband likes the trendy micro brew stuff, but I am most happy with a can of Busch or Budweiser or even MGD. None of that trendy stuff for me. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
That's cool...and it's all understandable. I get it.

The other things I listed? Museums (including art museums) and plays? I realize some people might be more into a "culture" thing, I'm not, really. I mean, I'm interested in going to some museums locally, but I doubt I'll ever actually go. It's always seemed like something I'd want to do with someone else, instead of just by myself. They're not art museums though. We do have them--I'm just not that interested in them. There's the Ringling Art Museum at Ca d'Zan (I think I have that spelled correctly).

When I was a kid, I visited science museums, history museums, and aquariums. (Schools don't seem to have "field trips" like they did when I was a kid).

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's cool...and it's all understandable. I get it.

The other things I listed? Museums (including art museums) and plays? I realize some people might be more into a "culture" thing, I'm not, really. I mean, I'm interested in going to some museums locally, but I doubt I'll ever actually go. It's always seemed like something I'd want to do with someone else, instead of just by myself. They're not art museums though. We do have them--I'm just not that interested in them. There's the Ringling Art Museum at Ca d'Zan (I think I have that spelled correctly).

When I was a kid, I visited science museums, history museums, and aquariums. (Schools don't seem to have "field trips" like they did when I was a kid).
I could definitely get into an art museum. Once I went to the museum of art in Philadelphia and it was the first time I ever saw a Monet, a Gauguin, a Renoir...and I almost cried they were so beautiful. No print, no picture, no NUTHIN' can ever do them justice. It is something you MUST experience in person - like a rainbow or a sunset.

I don't like natural history or science museums though...too many dead things.

Plays are good - again you have the problem with not liking anything modern, but if I could find someone doing some older plays - especially musicals like "Ain't Misbehavin" or "Porgy and Bess" that would be awesome. I love the symphony too, but it has to be a GOOD symphony. We went to the Springfield [MO] for my birthday this year and it was only marginally so-so.

Good ideas though. thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I could definitely get into an art museum. Once I went to the museum of art in Philadelphia and it was the first time I ever saw a Monet, a Gauguin, a Renoir...and I almost cried they were so beautiful. No print, no picture, no NUTHIN' can ever do them justice. It is something you MUST experience in person - like a rainbow or a sunset.

I don't like natural history or science museums though...too many dead things.

Plays are good - again you have the problem with not liking anything modern, but if I could find someone doing some older plays - especially musicals like "Ain't Misbehavin" or "Porgy and Bess" that would be awesome. I love the symphony too, but it has to be a GOOD symphony. We went to the Springfield [MO] for my birthday this year and it was only marginally so-so.

Good ideas though. thanks.

20yrsinBranson
Seriously, look into Orlando--we have all of that here. And no oil. (And big band/swing music as well.)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Have you thought of just a leisurely car trip, drive all day, just seeing the sights along the back roads, eat in funky little roadside restaurants. Places that nobody else ever goes.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
Quote:
First of all, let me preface this question by saying that I am not an outdoor person. I do not enjoy being outdoors and I do not go outdoors unless there is something extremely pressing that requires it. My vacations do not have to do with outdoor activities.

I hope that was clear.

Now then, I have a question for the traveling folks here.

When you go on vacation...what do you do?????

Oh, let me mention also, that I am not a shopper. Do not like shopping, do not consider it a recreational activity.

Ok, back to the topic.

What do you do?

I have been thinking about taking a vacation later in the year. Looking at travel brochures, etc., it seems that everything (or nearly so) is targeted at outdoor activities.

As far as a destination - I had been looking at Florida pre-oil disaster, and now I am not even sure where I want to go. I was thinking about Texas - maybe around Dallas. Just somewhere different.

But again, I cannot find anyplace that has fun things to do that does not involved being out of doors.

Who has some good suggestions? I'm depressed that nothing sounds like fun to me. out:

20yrsinBranson
Do what vacation is made for... anything that you like to do ! Do things at your own pace, try whatever you want to try. If you try to live someone else's vacation or ideas it won't be as enjoyable. It is your vacation, so just make it exactly how you want it to be. Surely there are things you have always wanted to try.. so go do them, what is stopping you?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,172,526 times
Go on a cruise and stay inside, maybe???? Then when you are at port, go to museums, or other buildings.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,342,391 times
Quote:
First of all, let me preface this question by saying that I am not an outdoor person. I do not enjoy being outdoors and I do not go outdoors unless there is something extremely pressing that requires it. My vacations do not have to do with outdoor activities.

I hope that was clear.

Now then, I have a question for the traveling folks here.

When you go on vacation...what do you do?????

Oh, let me mention also, that I am not a shopper. Do not like shopping, do not consider it a recreational activity.

Ok, back to the topic.

What do you do?

I have been thinking about taking a vacation later in the year. Looking at travel brochures, etc., it seems that everything (or nearly so) is targeted at outdoor activities.

As far as a destination - I had been looking at Florida pre-oil disaster, and now I am not even sure where I want to go. I was thinking about Texas - maybe around Dallas. Just somewhere different.

But again, I cannot find anyplace that has fun things to do that does not involved being out of doors.

Who has some good suggestions? I'm depressed that nothing sounds like fun to me. out:

20yrsinBranson
I know. From your posts, you seem to be a very negative person, not liking anything - children, doctors, now the outdoors.

How about museums? Theme parks? They're outdoors, sure, but it's not really an "outdoors experience".

Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Old 06-26-2010, 03:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,190,232 times
I also vote for a Cruise.

Last cruise, I couldn't be peeled off our Veranda -- too busy looking for Whales. Spotted a "Tripod", too

The mass-market lines are quite "infamous" for their Art auctions, but you can visit the vast display any time of day to check things out.

Lounges have all kinds of music. Beings I love Sinatra and Swing myself, the Piano Bars are a favorite spot to hang out in the evenings. You'll find some very talented musicians and find yourself going back each night.

Something for everybody, really, on a cruise. Go up to Lido deck for B'fast, lunch or dinner in shorts, tanks & sandals when you don't feel like getting decked out for the Main Dining Room. Or have Room Service deliver whatever when you wish to avoid the crowds completely. On some lines, the menus are the same -- just Buffet style in Lido. And Room service on our last cruise (HAL) had the dining room menu available -- not just BLTs and salads.

Do as much or as little as you please.

Hang by the pool (go far aft pool -- always less crowded); grab a book and a chaise back there somewhere in the shade and just watch the world go buy. Most lines have libraries.

Many have wireless access available, as well as Internet stations. (Could be costly, depending on what deals the respective lines have.)

Best of all -- no bugs out there -- at least until you reach port. Could choose a cruise with more sea days, or a port-intensive one. Something for everybody.

And if seasickness is a concern == Ginger Root!! The most seasick-prone people have had this work for them. Don't bother with the bands, or Dramamine or whatever. Ginger/green apple, even saltines have no side effects (unless allergic to.)

Oh, the Cruise Director and Activities staff plan a bunch of ships tours (galley, etc); classes on all different topics; and games which they hold in the theatre during the days. From Trivial Pursuit to Newlywed games ... all kinds of other stuff they can dream up. (I was too busy looking for sea mammals to go to these though.)

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-26-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel