U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,438,519 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me preface this question by saying that I am not an outdoor person. I do not enjoy being outdoors and I do not go outdoors unless there is something extremely pressing that requires it. My vacations do not have to do with outdoor activities.

I hope that was clear.

Now then, I have a question for the traveling folks here.

When you go on vacation...what do you do?????

Oh, let me mention also, that I am not a shopper. Do not like shopping, do not consider it a recreational activity.

Ok, back to the topic.

What do you do?

I have been thinking about taking a vacation later in the year. Looking at travel brochures, etc., it seems that everything (or nearly so) is targeted at outdoor activities.

As far as a destination - I had been looking at Florida pre-oil disaster, and now I am not even sure where I want to go. I was thinking about Texas - maybe around Dallas. Just somewhere different.

But again, I cannot find anyplace that has fun things to do that does not involved being out of doors.

Who has some good suggestions? I'm depressed that nothing sounds like fun to me. out:

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 PM

21,381 posts, read 24,207,281 times

Is this different enough: Lotte World | Seoul City | South Korea

Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

When you go on vacation...what do you do?????

I like to immerse myself in the local culture. I travel off the beaten path, where very few tourists seem to go. I love traveling to foreign countries and mixing in with the locals, exploring their neighborhoods, trying their food. To me, that is an ideal trip. Sorry I'm of no help to you, I can't imagine traveling only to stay indoors the entire time!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,932,213 times
Generally I'm an outdoor person but I do also enjoy cultural things.

You could take a themed vacation. For instance, I did a tour along the Hudson River (NYS) robber baron estates. If you like that kind of thing you could do the southern mansions. Or, you could do one around historical sites, or museums (DC or NYC), or a place with several plays, or a music festival or any other kind of festival, or food and restaurants. Or, someplace with an entirely different culture (Boston) even within the US.

You could do a spa vacation, a Las Vegas vacation, an elder hostel if you're old enough where you take a class, or you could learn pottery, take a language immersion trip. I've heard that there is a company that arranges vacations where you do a one or two week sort of internship in your fantasy career. You could attend a short Condon Bleu cooking class, or you could volunteer somewhere short term. There are religious orders that will let you stay if you want quiet.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,748 posts, read 40,156,025 times
What do you like?

There are lots of non-outdoor things to do. My dream for that would be to go to Vienna and attend a few weeks of Concerts and Balls. I did this at age 17, and WISH I could repeat and APPRECIATE more.

Museums are often great (I like Belgium and France for that)
Art is big in Italy and Spain

For something closer to home, there are plenty of music and drama fests (indoor and out). History trips, library trips, Wash DC is a fabulous indoor venue, as is NYC. Specialty libraries and universities are good places to visit for several days. For Nebraska I can spend a few days at Pioneer Village / the Captial, University, Cabella's, and of course Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge (http://www.olesbiggame.com/steakhs.htm - broken link). I have similar routes in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, MN, SD, MT, WY, CO, CA, and Utah, as the weather does not always allow outdoor enjoyment. And several cities have great 'underground' cities. Montreal is pretty impressive!

I love to learn, so would enjoy a semester abroad or a concentrated course for a couple weeks.

I like visiting science labs, children's museums, auctions (farm, animal are quite fun, as are antiques), free rehearsals, strategic economic development meetings , I tour all the factories I can find that still offer tours I 'drop-in' to trade schools and businesses I'm interested in learning about. I tour homes that are open and ask lots of questions.

Maybe you would like an Alaska cruise. 90% of the time the weather can keep you indoors. I am definately a very BAD 'cruiser', as it really rubs my 'Shoestring' lifestyle the wrong way. There is nothing I like about a cruise EXCEPT 'getting-away', which I much prefer to being home.

Also I would be the last person to plan a trip from a travel brochure.

this is me too!
Quote:
I like to immerse myself in the local culture. I travel off the beaten path, where very few tourists seem to go. I love traveling to foreign countries and mixing in with the locals,
Since I am in an international guest home directory, I can look at the profiles of hosts, and just go spend some time with someone / place that interests me.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 AM

32,213 posts, read 33,119,545 times
You could go to NYC or London or another big city that has lots of museums and other cultural activities that are indoors.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,831,602 times
Absolutely! Museums, art galleries, even zoos that have large indoor exhibits. I wouldn't go to Florida if you don't like outdoor stuff - frankly there's not a lot to do indoors down there. I would suggest Washington DC!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
I have several different vacation "styles." Usually once a year or so, my husband and I will tkae a long weekend and go someplace where there really isn't much to do except decompress. Either a sleepy beach resort in a low key area without much nightlife or shopping, or a mountain inn again in a quiet area. We go for walks, read, relax, and basically do nothing for 3-4 days.

We also like to go to places with historical or cultural activities. We both love learning about the hisory and architecture of the places we visit. We also tend to travel to places with an emphasis on world-class wines where we can visit small wineries and learn from the wine makers.

And to the person who said there's nothing to do indoors in Florida, I have to disagree.

Please consider visiting Florida. Even if you don't visit the gulf coast (most of which is not affected by the oil spill!), the Atlantic coast is clean and open for business. You could spend a couple of days exploring historic St. Augustine, and then take an easy two hour drive to Orlando. Forget the touristy stuff. We've got an art museum and a lot of art galleries, tons of live music and performing arts venues, the Orlando Science Center, dozens of excellent restaurants. You can go skydiving or rock climbing--INDOORS! Or you can just hop in your car and drive around the rolling hills of Lake County enjoying the views and stop in Mt Dora for lunch at one of the great little cafes in the area.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,993,766 times
I'm an outdoor person but my holidays usually include museums or something else indoors.

What do I do on holidays?
Uganda - safaris
Europe - museums, castles, old churches/cathedrals, art galleries, historic buildings, exploring the towns and villages, hiking
US - SW Florida beaches in the winter, Washington DC museums, California coastline

Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,763,909 times
Come on out to Arizona. It's going to be up over 110 here soon so we're pretty much geared to things you can do while never breathing fresh, "outside" air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel