U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Total rubbish. I have often checked baggage with BA through Heathrow to Glasgow.

And, as an added bonus, while waiting for them to arrive, you get a little frisson of anticipation wondering if they made it.
It's only the US that makes you pick up bags and recheck them for your next destination.

All my lost bags have been found within a day or two. Whew! Hate it when they lose the one carrying all the xmas gifts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 AM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
Nope,
A lot of flight go out domestic, Only time you don't need to re-check is when you can go international to international thru the transit lounge. Some airport treat all flights out as domestic, some are a mix, they feed transit in to a sterile gate area, some are true international transits (Think Tom Hanks in The Terminal) .

Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Nope,
A lot of flight go out domestic, Only time you don't need to re-check is when you can go international to international thru the transit lounge. Some airport treat all flights out as domestic, some are a mix, they feed transit in to a sterile gate area, some are true international transits (Think Tom Hanks in The Terminal) .
Nope to what? No one said only domestic flights. I fly into the US, pick up my bags to recheck, then fly to my final US city. I've been flying in and out of the US frequently for 12 years.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 AM

When you clear customs/passport control in the US, your outbound flight is Domestic, you need to claim your bags, go thru customs, then re-check them on the US Domistic side. Ive gone into london, cleared pasport/Customs with my bags, then re-checked them for flights with in england.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM

Yes, I know how it works in the US. I've flown to Heathrow or Gatwick many times and never had to recheck my bags to fly onward to Glasgow. You are mistaken.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Where did you clear Customs?

Maybe its my definition of re-check, When I arrive in any airport where I have to pick up my checked baggage, then move it, and give it back to some one, That's what I consider Re-Checking.

Most of the time it 'tagged' to the final destination, but I have to run it thru customs, then give it back to the airline.

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-22-2010 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Where did you clear Customs?

Maybe its my definition of re-check, When I arrive in any airport where I have to pick up my checked baggage, then move it, and give it back to some one, That's what I consider Re-Checking.

Most of the time it 'tagged' to the final destination, but I have to run it thru customs, then give it back to the airline.
I go through immigration in London but I do not pick up and recheck my bags. I've only had to do that in the US.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,809,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Total rubbish. I have often checked baggage with BA through Heathrow to Glasgow.

And, as an added bonus, while waiting for them to arrive, you get a little frisson of anticipation wondering if they made it.
Yes, I am already wondering if BA will yet again manage to lose a suitcase checked onto a direct flight .

Stimulatin' ain't it

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Took a Delta Flight From Atlanta to Manchester NH, Delta very nicely sent our bags to Manchester GB. Was home back in Atlanta before our bags caught up with us. My Son checked the bags in at the curb, and didnt know to check the tags that goes on it to make sure the skycap put correct city tag on it.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Yes, I know how it works in the US. I've flown to Heathrow or Gatwick many times and never had to recheck my bags to fly onward to Glasgow. You are mistaken.
You are correct. Glasgow has a separate international baggage carrousel which is technically inside customs although I have never seen a customs person on the door between the international carrousel and the domestic ones. Bags checked through from an international flight onto a domestic one go onto that carrousel.

Do other UK airports have the same arrangement? Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or