Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,441,636 times

Advertisements

Probably a really stupid question but . . . I'm flying to UK next Friday on British Airways. I have received an email from them saying I have to update my traveller information, namely my passport details. As I have dual citizenship I'm not sure which passport information to enter and whether it will make any difference. Of course I will have my US passport with me, but does anyone know for sure if BA needs to match what I type on their website with what I present at check-in here or in the UK?

I contacted BA and they said I had to call Customer Support who then told me I had to contact my local Consulate ! Completely UNhelpful which sadly doesn't surprise me one bit .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,258,664 times
I have dual citizenship as well. Which passport will you be using to leave the country? That's the one I whose information I would enter. I leave/enter with my US, but use my European one throughout Europe, if that helps you at all. I wouldn't be able to re-enter using just my European passport, because I'd need a green card or visa along with it, which I don't have because I'm a US citizen. I know my birth country frowns upon dual citizenship, but as long as I renew my passport, I'm good to go.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I have dual citizenship as well. Which passport will you be using to leave the country? That's the one I whose information I would enter. I leave/enter with my US, but use my European one throughout Europe, if that helps you at all. I wouldn't be able to re-enter using just my European passport, because I'd need a green card or visa along with it, which I don't have because I'm a US citizen. I know my birth country frowns upon dual citizenship, but as long as I renew my passport, I'm good to go.
I was thinking it makes sense to enter the US one because I will present that at Check-in and boarding. If I show the UK one they'll ask for a green card or visa so that would be pointless (altho I assume I can use it in Heathrow at immigration & customs?). I just wanted to make sure after I got the roundaround from BA.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,258,664 times
Some places still stamp your passport at customs. The US may wonder why, on your return, the passport is unstamped. I say use the US one to leave here and come back. But if you do any travel around Europe, use your UK one.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,873,470 times
I have dual UK/US and also fly BA to the UK fairly often. I always give BA my US passport details and, of course, use my US passport entering and leaving the US. I use my UK passport to enter the UK but quite often use my US passport when traveling within Europe (depends which line is shorter). Never had any problems with BA.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 AM

All great suggestions and ones that I figured would make the most sense.

I'm still annoyed with Customer Support at BA! What a bunch of useless bozos. If they require that information to be entered on their website before you travel they should be prepared for these kinds of questions and they should know the answer. You all seem to know and they are an international, billion-dollar airline.

Well, they used to be

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,372,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have dual UK/US and also fly BA to the UK fairly often. I always give BA my US passport details and, of course, use my US passport entering and leaving the US. I use my UK passport to enter the UK but quite often use my US passport when traveling within Europe (depends which line is shorter). Never had any problems with BA.
I do the same as we are supposed to - US passport in US, UK in UK. I'm the other way round though - home is UK. I use my UK passport when travelling anywhere that does not include the US. However, I refuse to fly BA ever again! I can't trust them.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I do the same as we are supposed to - US passport in US, UK in UK. I'm the other way round though - home is UK. I use my UK passport when travelling anywhere that does not include the US. However, I refuse to fly BA ever again! I can't trust them.
Thankfully this should be my last time. I only booked with them this year because a) they had the cheapest direct flight and b) I wanted to see Terminal 5. Next time I go I'll be quite happy to fly into Terminal 3 or 4. Or maybe even Gatwick

Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,537,967 times
I had to call BA in the US last week and they told me that it wasn't possible to check baggage all the way through from Charlotte to Newcastle via Boston and Heathrow.
First leg was US , next two BA but all on one ticket.
When we got to Charlotte the US airways guys said it was rubbish.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,873,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I had to call BA in the US last week and they told me that it wasn't possible to check baggage all the way through from Charlotte to Newcastle via Boston and Heathrow.
First leg was US , next two BA but all on one ticket.
When we got to Charlotte the US airways guys said it was rubbish.
Total rubbish. I have often checked baggage with BA through Heathrow to Glasgow.

And, as an added bonus, while waiting for them to arrive, you get a little frisson of anticipation wondering if they made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel