U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM

209 posts, read 493,189 times

Advertisements

No, never. I hate sharing rooms with anyone I'm not in an intimate relationship with - and sometimes, not even then!!!

"Extra people" can keep their noises, smells, and junk in their own room.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM

282 posts, read 456,978 times
yes, especially when they charge per guest, but never more than 4 per room.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,888,807 times
I used to do this with my single friends when i traveled. We would rent a double bed room and have 4-5 others stay. We would split the bill evenly as we rotated who would get to sleep on the bed each night we were there.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM

13,171 posts, read 20,804,608 times
I've never done it. When we traveled with our kids, we would get adjoining rooms. I'm not so worried about the moral issue of it, but, when I'm paying for a hotel room, I want to be able to sleep. I suppose if I was younger I would be more tolerant of alternative sleeping arrangements.

But, have you ever gotten up close to some hotel carpets? No way would I want to spend a night on them.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,562,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i didn't even realize it was against "the rules"

i have always taken the view, that i am buying the room for the night. it is my room, i can sleep whomever i want in it as long as the fire dep't doesn't have a problem with it.
Exactly.

G MAn

Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,658,925 times
I'm not going to put my kids in a separate room - I have brought "extra" people into a hotel room but they weren't even walking yet - but this is one reason I don't stay in motels, it's too costly and difficult for families, it's a lot more fun to camp out, a whole lot cheaper and you don't have to worry about the cleaning of rooms in between guests.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM

129 posts, read 218,123 times
We sure do, and have some good fun whenever we have done it.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 107,517 times
There is a legitimate reason why hotels only allow a particular number of people per room. One is that there are safety codes. No matter how many people you think you can make room for it doesnt mean it isnt hazardous. Its just like when you go to a restaurant and theres that sign that has the capacity of what the restuarant is allowed to fill. Another reason is in consderation of other people staying at the hotel. How would you like it if too many people in one room caused you to have an unpleasant stay (noise etc)? Then they complain to the hotel because other guest chose to sneak in people and the hotel gets guest yelling at them and a bad rep.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 10,629 times
Think about two young guys bringing back a girl to stay overnight (or 2 girls, I've seen it happen), they use extra towels, extras soaps, shampoos, maybe get the room really messy, then everyone eats the complimentary breakfast and really take advantage of it. When the extra occupancy is, say, $10 it's justified enough by the extra toiletries and food consumed and the extra time to clean the room. If I know exactly which room is the offending one, I'll usually refer it to the owner's and they'll likely bump the cost on a case-by-case basis. If they were drunk and completely annoying to me at the desk, I raise it regardless. I don't hold any sympathy for you. This exact scenario happened a few times. First time I asked what to do, and the bod said charge them. Every time after that it was automatic. It costs us money.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,809,789 times
Has anyone seen the episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil is convinced one of the guests has sneaked in his girlfriend illegally? Totally hilarious! You guys should watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or