U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,109,450 times
Default Parking my car

I have a weird situation coming up for my travel to India. I'll be flying out of LAX and will not have a place to park my car. It'll be a 15 day trip so airport parking is out of the question.. do you guys think wal-mart employees would realize a car that has been left there? With the amount of people that come and go.. would they really be able to keep track of the cars? What do you think my chances would be of coming back to a repo'd car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 PM

67 posts, read 95,421 times
Bad idea. Either ask a friend to drop you or pony up for transport to and from the airport.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 AM

10,467 posts, read 16,558,921 times
Depends what your car is worth. I buy most of mine at the 'towing company sales', ($35 - $100) it is much cheaper than 'bailing them out' when they get towed.

There should be some 'off-site' Park and fly places for $10 / day, or a nearby storage lot for $200 / month. I have used a motel and paid them if they have extra space.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,303,802 times
Yeah just get transport to the airport. If it wasnt 15 days i would think you could park it somewhere and be okay but for that long it prolly wont be there when you get back.

G Man

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM

4,377 posts, read 5,037,716 times
yes, walmart will notice after a day or two. If you park in the back of the lot they will notice faster, close to the building might take them one or two overnights to notice, and have you tow'ed.

When I go for 'long' trips, GT 2 weeks. I get a lift to the Atlanta bus/subway, and and take subway/bus/cab home. If im going shorter or get in late at night after subway stops running, I park off-airport for 7.50/day or have a car service pick up and at airport and take me home $40 ow. Subway is $2/OW. If I get in late and planned to take subway/bus/cab I wind up taking a cab from airport $100/ow. So have to look at the times of my flights, length of time i;m away, and odds it will work vs cost.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM

211 posts, read 363,871 times
since you're in a big city, opt for a taxi, bus or friend. parking for 15 days is a lot.

I wouldn't leave my car in a parking lot either. They will notice.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
the cost for daily storage and tow and this and that fee may be a whole lot more than an off airport long term parking place, if your lucky enough to have the violation towing company remove the car before chop-shop harry gets to it.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,187,502 times
So you need a parking spot in Los Angeles near LAX??? You can park for free at any of the park and ride lots at stations for the Los Angeles Green Line light rail. At Aviation/LAX station there is a shuttle that leaves roughly every ten minutes and goes to each of the 9 terminals at LAX. The driver checks to make sure you have a Metro ticket. It only costs $1.50 to buy a one way ticket though and that will get you on the shuttle. MUCH cheaper than paying $15+ daily for parking around LAX.

Metro Park and Ride lots are obviously not patrolled as much as a private lot would be. To prevent your car from getting broken into, I would recommend parking at the El Segundo station for free as it is in a safe, upscale city. Its just two stops to Aviation/LAX station where you can catch the shuttle to the terminals.

Also, Flyaway buses that cost roughly $7-10 each way are an option depending where in L.A. you are.

Where are you coming from in L.A.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM

4,377 posts, read 5,037,716 times
While Park/Ride may be free, My guess is if you leave your car there for days on end, LA Transit will assume that the car is abandoned and tow it away after tagging it for a day or two.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,187,502 times
I know people that have parked at a station for a two or three day trip and had no problems. For a 15 day trip, I guess there is the 'possibility' that Metro would tow the vehicle thinking it was abandoned, but I doubt it. Part of the point of the green line is to be able to get you to LAX through the shuttle from its nearby stop. The line was developed with park and rides at almost every station (more than any other line in L.A.) for a reason. I doubt they are assuming people are flying somewhere and returning the same day.

You can also try street parking. In the area right around the airport, street sweeping once per week, parking meters, or a permit being required eliminates your ability to park on streets there.

If you head just north though into the Westchester neighborhood, there are some streets that don't have any parking restrictions. You could park on Alverstone Drive, behind the Westchester District YMCA (check it out on Google Maps Street View) for free and there are no parking restrictions. This is a public street and on the opposite side is a nice residential neighborhood. This is a feeder streets and you won't be parking right in front of somebody's house. Walk to the corner of 80th Street and Sepulveda Blvd and catch the Culver City Bus Route 6 or L.A. Metro Route 439 buses southbound to the LAX Bus Center. There you will hop on the shuttle to the terminals. Culver City Bus costs $1 and Metro costs $1.50. The bus ride should be no more than 10 minutes. I wouldn't park on a street in Inglewood east of the airport and most streets in El Segundo south of the airport have parking restrictions.

Last edited by missionhome; 06-25-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel