U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,197,846 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

I'm heading to Chicago for the first time in September for the Mets Cubs series. My wife and I plan to stay at the City Suites near Wrigley field. We'd (or at least I) would like to go to one game in the stadium and a second from the rooftops. My friend recommended wrigleyrooftops.com as well as the hotel. Any thoughts or advice you can offer on either one? Which of the three rooftop locations on the website is the best? Are there restaurants/bars in the area that we have to try to get the Chicago experience? I'm also looking for advice on areas to avoid. I appreciate thoughts from anybody who has been in the area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times
Wrigleyville is the city's busiest nightlife district. There are countless bars and restaurants lining both Clark and Belmont right by your hotel, and to a lesser extent along Sheffield, and Halsted Street a couple blocks east. Just to prepare you ahead of time, the Halsted corridor is basically a gay district. I consider the Goose Island brewpub a must-do. There's two in town, including one 3 doors down from the stadium on Clark. Don't go to The Cubby Bear. It's a tourist pit. If you just have to try some Chicago-style stuffed pizza, there's a Giordano's a block from your hotel. They're the biggest stuffed pizza chain in town, but IMO not the best. IMO the best is Nancy's, and there's one on the 2900 N block of Broadway, which is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

There are no parts of the immediate area that need to be studiously avoided. There are a couple of flophouses a block or two north of the stadium that add, uh, "character" to the street scene in their immediate vicinity, but that's the worst of it.

There are numerous other rooftop clubs to choose from besides just the ones listed at the website you provide. The full list is here. I would definitely avoid the the one at 3609 N Sheffield because a good portion of your view is blocked by the right field grandstands. Other than that, I'd say just pick the one that has offers the best price for whatever package you're looking for and offers the most acceptable views. Some have better views than others; IMO the ones in the middle of left or right field offer the best views. The ones too close to center field are partially obstructed by the rise of the center field bleachers, The ones too close to the baselines have their views partial obstructed by the foul pole, and in the case of the ones along the left field foul line, a foul pole, a flag pole and some fencing (albeit chain-link, but still a little annoying if you ask me). The trade-off is the ones closest to the left field foul pole, notwithstanding the obstructions, offer the most complete view of the field. Anyway, the links to each rooftop provided in the website above all have pictures of their respective views.

Last edited by Drover; 06-27-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,013,182 times
Sign onto Groupon for their daily Chicago special. They have been offering a number of specials on the rooftop seats.

The way that the Cubs are playing, I do not think that it will be difficult to get discounted tickets.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM

8,264 posts, read 11,130,236 times
We've stayed at City Suites and loved it. Their sister hotel on N Broadway, the Hawthorne Suites I think it's called, is good too. We've had wonderful meals at Mia Francesca. Have a wonderful trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or