U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,480,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I will be going, but I don't know how you travel or anything about you.. but from my travel experiences things can get more expensive on vacation whether or not the cost of living is cheaper. It is just a word of experience, and if you are asking questions like this I don't think you have been to India either. If you are looking to go all over India it isn't so hard to assume you will be spending more than an average person.
Hah, I don't want to go "all over" India. I just want to spend about 3 weeks (not even that, because I have a 5 day on, 23 day off chemotherapy schedule, and I'm usually fatigued or nausated for a couple days after I've finished a round). I'm landing in Maharastra, but thinking of going to Kerala too. Here is my budget breakdown:

Accomodations: average $29 (Rs 1300) / night. This will get you a A/C room with a TV in most of India (I've looked at the rates online and this is indeed accurate, and includes tax) $29 * 18 = $521
Intranational transportation: US$185 for an Indrail pass + $50 public transport / taxi budget.
Food: Rs 400 (around $8) / day * 18 = $144. This should be more than enough to give me 2-3 solid meals at local restaurants in a day (not upscale restaurants, just "average Subhash" places).
Attractions / misc.: $100 - $150

Total: $839 w/o airfare or Indrail pass.

Note I did Spain on about $2000-$2500 for 18 days, and could have done it more cheaply, but I enjoyed restaurant or bar food for almost every meal, private rooms with TV, etc. I would expect India to be much cheaper.

I'll start in Mumbai, but will visit Matharan, Mahabaleshwari (or whatever the name of that hill station is), Pune - all near one another - and Kerala. The cities / towns I want to see in Kerala I'm still not sure of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel