Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times

Advertisements

which US airlines have the best loyalty programmes. We are about to move from Asia and it makes sense to sign up with a US programme as we plan to do a lot of internal flights as well as 3/4 to Europe a year. I used to have Cathay Pacific gold and got lots of upgrades but now I am in Singapore and have Kris Flyer gold and don't get any. Does anyone give frequent upgrades ??

When living in Europe BA was a good one to have but it needs a lot of miles to keep it up.......

any suggestions ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Most of the internationals have tie in with there partner US airline, Kinda want to keep all your miles in one place if you can. As for whos better United/Cont group has been rated high. Alot depend on where you are and where you fly to for what airline to use/join.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Although I am a delta platinum medalion and a hair away from a million miler, I would have to say stay away from Delta's FF program if you are an international flyer. - the simple reason being that they don't upgrade on international flights (or, it's not easy to upgrade, we elite's get a handful of certificates but you have to use them on full fare flights).

Domestic flights - no problem, I get 1st class upgraded all the time. But it pains me to see bus class half empty when flying over the pond, and me, a platinum medallion, in a class of maybe the top 1% of their flyers in terms of revenue, unable to get up there.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
You could use your cathy miles with American Airlines. American Airlines has the best FF program in the US and the first. They also have the best first class product so its worth those upgrades. But what city are you moving to? Maybe you will just want to join the airline that has a hub in that city.

I am with American Airlines FF and it is great! Also they have the least restrictions on mile usage. I am saving up for my free first class to Asia 120,000miles probably will fly Cathy! If you live in LA, Chicago, New York, Miami or Dallas American is for sure the way to go.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Thanks for the input. We will move to NY and will prob get an AA card to earn the miles and use the Cathay one for the lounge access in the meantime. As I will be doing 3 business class flights to the US via London from Asia in the next 3 months I am sure it will be easy to level up.....

Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
25,000 miles will get you enough. HOWEVER when you fly the London-New York leg that leg needs to be on American Airlines and not British Airways to get the miles since the flight is to the US. The Asia-London flight can be on Cathy or American and you will get American airlines miles for it. This US flight rule should go away in sometime when American and British finalize their ATI. I would call American and double check to see if this rule still aplies. just 25,000 miles gets gold which gives you the posibility of upgrading and free luggage, board first etc.. Next level which is much better is 50,000 miles a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel