Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM

13 posts, read 72,905 times

Advertisements

My GF and I want to take a trip to london soon. Probably 5 days or so there in London. How much would a flight cost, 5 days in a nice hotel, and usual expenses cost? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
You didn't include your home airport (which is important; could people on here PLEASE start using the "Location" field, and not put stupid stuff in there as some do?), but by your past post record I can infer you live in Sacramento. If so, you would be within driving distance of SFO. Assuming you want to go in August, I put in August 5th as your date of departure and August 10th as your date of return. The minimum price of a R/T flight for two is $2,430.00. So we've got that down.

I see that she's your "GF", so I searched for two hotel rooms at the same site. I have no idea of what your idea of "nice hotel" is, so I played it safe and chose the Radisson overlooking the British Museum (Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street). It looks like it's going to cost you $1,921.12 for separate rooms.

Again, I don't know what you mean by "usual expenses", but plan on spending at least $80 / day for food between the both of you, so that comes out to be $400. (You can get by on a lot less, though, especially if you seek out cheap, "ethnic" restaurants or pub grub...and you can also spend a lot more, particularly if you enjoy dining at London's finest restaurants, especially with wine).

A London metro card, allowing unlimited travel for zones 1-4, is £36.80 per person. That works out to be about $110. A taxi is about £50 each way from Heathrow, so assume $150 spent there.

The nice thing about London is many of the attractions (National Gallery, British Museum, etc.) are free. Still, I'd assume about $40 / day spending money between the two of you for attractions and miscellaneous expenses. So assume $400.

It all works out to be about $5,500, give or take.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
tvdxer did a great breakdown for you for summer travel. However, there are many more variables. For example, you never mention travel dates. If you go during shoulder season (Sept-Nov) you can save a ton on money both on airfare and hotel costs. Even better, if you are willing to suffer the darkness and cold of wintertime it will be great for your pocketbook.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I see that she's your "GF", so I searched for two hotel rooms at the same site. I have no idea of what your idea of "nice hotel" is, so I played it safe and chose the Radisson overlooking the British Museum (Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street). It looks like it's going to cost you $1,921.12 for separate rooms.
If he's taking a trip to London with his GF do you really think they'll have separate rooms?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
If he's taking a trip to London with his GF do you really think they'll have separate rooms?
No, but you there is always hope

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
You can keep hotel costs down by staying a bit outside the centre. I often stay at the Novotel in Hammersmith. It is about 30 mins from the centre and about the same from Heathrow airport. It is right on the Piccadilly and District tube lines. As a result, it is generally a bit cheaper per night and you can get the underground from the airport right there (plus a short walk) which also saves you money on taxis. In addition, because it is really a business hotel, weekends can be quite a lot cheaper than weekdays.

No matter where you stay you will have to travel around to get to the different sites so might as well save some money at the same time.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM

48 posts, read 175,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
That wouldn't make any sense

GF means 'girlfriend' not 'grandfather'....

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
That wouldn't make any sense

GF means 'girlfriend' not 'grandfather'....
For reasons of protecting your chastity and purity, I think it would be most wise for him and his girlfriend to get separate rooms.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Orbitz shows US Airways from Sac to London for about $1625 per person.

Then you if you want to stay cheap can look here: http://www.hostels.com/london/england

Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
If you hunt around you should be able to get a ticket for under $1000. London isnt a cheap city so I'd add at least $200/day for expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel