U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,580,084 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article in USA Today that NY state senators are considering a bill to ban any kind of short-term vacation rentals, that is, any rental less than a month.

The article is somewhat vague and seems to focus on those who rent out apartments or rooms in NYC. Has anyone heard/read anything about this, and would the ban affect timeshares or vacation apartments/condos that owners hold as investments?

New York considers ban on short-term vacation rentals

Travel plans we are contemplating to NY might get squashed since $300+/night hotel rooms would kill our budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
I haven't heard of the ban in NYC til now, but several places in Hawaii banned this a long time ago. Basically, locals were sick and tired of throngs of tourists coming to their neighborhoods year-round, and trashing the streets. There were complaints of loud, obnoxious people at all hours of the night. The vacationers didn't mind staying up late and having a good old time. The neighbors had to wake up the next morning and go to work. In that instance, the ban was a great thing and hopefully restored some peace to the local neighborhoods. I'd hate to have a different person living next door every few months.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,159,037 times
Quote:
Travel plans we are contemplating to NY might get squashed since $300+/night hotel rooms would kill our budget.
There are B&B's in NYC starting at less than half for that.
Manhattan bed and breakfast & inns. Find the perfect Manhattan B&B lodging on BedandBreakfast.com.

But then there are ones who list themselves as one and are not.
new york, ny housing on Airbnb

Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,087,164 times
If this went into effect, I'm sure plenty more people will be staying in NJ and taking the bus or train into NYC. A lot of people do it already...I remember when I lived in Lyndhurst..the bus stop at the corner of Polito and Rutherford Ave used to be packed on weekends with people staying at the 3 hotels on that corner. And Lyndhurst is not even that close to NYC compared to other places. But hotels are MUCH cheaper than NYC rates for on par or better quality than what you get in the city.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,580,084 times
I certainly can see both sides of the coin - MAK802 you've well-described how it can be for permanent residents when the owner next door chooses to rent to vacationing travelers.

NeilVA - thanks for the B&B links ... I wonder if this contemplated bill would affect B&Bs - perhaps not the ones that are licenced and registered, but just the ones which aren't true B&Bs but are just extra rooms that people rent out?

mgt04 - staying in NJ isn't a bad idea. I have stayed at the Candlewood in Jersey City, and it's a short walk to the PATH which is a quick trip to 33rd St -- the close proximity makes it almost feel like one is staying in the city.

It'll be a watch-n-wait to see what the NY senators decide. Fortunately I have the time since our trip isn't in the immediate future.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
You can get a reasonable hotel room in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan as well as being a short subway ride from Midtown Manhattan.
See Long Island City Hotels - Discount Hotels in Long Island City NY New York

Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
If this went into effect, I'm sure plenty more people will be staying in NJ and taking the bus or train into NYC. A lot of people do it already...I remember when I lived in Lyndhurst..the bus stop at the corner of Polito and Rutherford Ave used to be packed on weekends with people staying at the 3 hotels on that corner. And Lyndhurst is not even that close to NYC compared to other places. But hotels are MUCH cheaper than NYC rates for on par or better quality than what you get in the city.
I'm from Clifton. There are quite a few hotels on Route 3, just minutes before the Lincoln Tunnel, for unbelievable rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel