U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First, getting on a cruise ship that lets you off for a couple of hours of shopping in the Bahamas is not "foreign travel".
Are you really so naive as to think that all cruises that originate in the US only go to the Bahamas?

Quote:
Tens of millions of Americans DO NOT travel to foreign countries, never have, never will---you, in your comfy suburb, just don't know any of them.
Wrong answer. I know a lot of people who live in dense urban areas and very rural areas who have traveled extensively to Europe, Russia, China, South America, Africa, the list goes on.

Last edited by annerk; 07-06-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I wonder, though ... do Americans cruise because they are more interested in visiting other countries or because they want to partake in activities on a cruise ship? Of course some want both but just throwing it out their as food for thought.
Our next cruise is to the Bahamas. nothing special and nowhere we haven't been before, we are going for the R&R of the cruise itself.

The one after that is a port intensive cruise that starts in Venice and finishes in Athens. Prior to boarding the cruise we're spending a week in Italy, and then a couple of days in Athens before we fly home. If you talk about some of the lower end mass market cruises, it's the cruise itself that lures people. For the higher end and more specialized cruises, it's all about the ports of call, often in "exotic" areas.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I"ve met quite a few Canadians on my travels and I can't think of one of them who wouldn't be extremely annoyed by this statement. The last thing that any of them want is to be thought of as an offshoot of the US. They really are not "just like us."
Agreed. I've traveled extensively to Canada, and for the most part to the "off the beaten path" areas that most "tourists" would never venture to. (Saskatoon, anyone? )

Quote:
You are totally correct in this statement--I just got back from Peru and my Spanish had to improve considerably b/c not much English was spoken--not even at tourist info booths. I've thought of maybe going over next summer for one of those intensive language courses. Or this year, if I can get it together I"m going to work through Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish (a classic) and then start convos with all the Hispanic people who work in my building. However, you'd be amazed at how quickly you'd learn to communicate in a Spanish speaking country where they don't know English. It's hard at first but comes quickly, esp if you're already fluent with reading and writing it.
Agreed. My spoken Spanish is so-so, but I understand it with no problem and can read it. Same thing with Italian. I've currently working on learning French and improving my Italian. But the lack of knowledge of the language has never kept me from visiting a country.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Quote:
First, getting on a cruise ship that lets you off for a couple of hours of shopping in the Bahamas is not "foreign travel".

Second, nice neighborhood. By contrast, I live in an apartment complex with 100 units, and there might not be a single one of them who has ever slept overnight outside the USA, except for the ones born in Mexico. I would bet that I have more neighbors that have slept in jail, than in a foreign country.

Third, a huge majority of the tens of millions of Americans who travel to a foreign country go to Canada, which now require a passport. And, for the purposes of this discussion, doesn't qualify as "foreign travel" either.

Tens of millions of Americans DO NOT travel to foreign countries, never have, never will---you, in your comfy suburb, just don't know any of them.
Microcosm presented as a generality. Not a viable argument.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,704,378 times
Quote:
International Destinations of American Tourists, 2004 — Infoplease.com

22 million American tourists with international destinations in 2004, and the list doesn't even include Canada or Mexico. Don't you hate when facts come and smack your obviously poorly formed anecdotal opinions right upside the head?

I suspect if there were stats on things like what Americans are willing to try to eat somewhere we'd make equally quick work of the rest of your pompous claims about Americans.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 PM

9,593 posts, read 17,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

22 million American tourists with international destinations in 2004, and the list doesn't even include Canada or Mexico. Don't you hate when facts come and smack your obviously poorly formed anecdotal opinions right upside the head?

I suspect if there were stats on things like what Americans are willing to try to eat somewhere we'd make equally quick work of the rest of your pompous claims about Americans.
Hey that was great. And the best part was that 5X more Americans were likely to visit historical sites and museums than theme parks. Kind of messes with the stereotype of the Disneyworld culture. Not that I'm talking trash on theme parks--they have their place--it's just that that's not all we do.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,660,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

22 million American tourists with international destinations in 2004, and the list doesn't even include Canada or Mexico.
Interesting. Now if my math is right ...

According to this report, the total number of American tourists traveling outside the US for leisure and visiting friends/relatives (not including Canada & Mexico) was 22,373,000 in 2004. So, given the total US population of 293,655,404 in 2004*, 7.6% of Americans traveled outside the US for leisure and visiting friends/relatives (not including Canada & Mexico).

*US Census Bureau

I'm curious ... do you have a source of stats for Americans taking leisure travel to Canada & Mexico?

I would also love to compare the percentage of the population of Canada, Mexico, Europe, Caribbean, Asia, South America, and the Middle East that travels annually to the US for leisure and visiting friends/relatives. I think this would be an interesting comparison since these are the places that Americans are most likely to visit.

Anyone know?

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-06-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,985,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Many Americans I met on my travels were keen to travel OS, many more had done so. Many also wanted to see more of their own beautiful country before hitting other shores. Perhaps the reluctance to travel is generational. (YankinScotland being an obvious exception! ) A lot of Australians over say, the age of 50 wonder "who'd wanna go outside Ostrayla"???

On the other hand, the lass who told me about Thailands' beauty was from New Orleans. The friend who waxed lyrical about Fiji was from Texas. (I haven't been to any part of Asia, and don't plan on doing so). The young group around a campfire in New England were much better at the geography game than my SO and I. I really think age is a factor.

Many young people in Australia do want to travel but not to countries they percieve as too similar to Australia, including the U.S.
I understand where they're coming from but think it's a shame...the U.S is wonderfully diverse in its' own way. I don't plan on doing a lot of international travel once I live there. Too much to see right there!
Australia too similar to the US? Nope. I've been to Oz twice and they are very different from the US, from the landscape, culture, towns, architecture.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Interesting. Now if my math is right ...

According to this report, the total number of American tourists traveling outside the US for leisure and visiting friends/relatives (not including Canada & Mexico) was 22,373,000 in 2004. So, given the total US population of 293,655,404 in 2004*, 7.6% of Americans traveled outside the US for leisure and visiting friends/relatives (not including Canada & Mexico).
That's ONE YEAR of stats. Most people don't travel outside of their own country every year, regardless of where they live in this world. I'd dare say that over a five year period that number would rise to 30% or so, not including the US and Mexico.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,660,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's ONE YEAR of stats. Most people don't travel outside of their own country every year, regardless of where they live in this world. I'd dare say that over a five year period that number would rise to 30% or so, not including the US and Mexico.
you're prob right. just asking for the stats. maybe there's a site that provides several years of data too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or