U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
No one has pointed out that most foreigners currency goes farther in the US. For quite a few years the British pound was worth $2, so everything in the US was the equivalent of 1/2 off. I knew of many people in the UK who took short trips to NYC just to go shopping during that time.
HAHAHA, surely you realize that it doesn't exactly work that way. A US dollar is worth twelve peso's, it doesn't mean you can buy a dollars worth of stuff in Mexico for the Mexican equivalent of a dime after you convert your currency.
Europeans have benefited from currency fluctuation and a weak dollar, but a pound was never the equivalent of a dollar, and a pound/dollar conversion of 1 pounds=2 dollar does not mean everything automatically costs 50% for a british citizen traveling here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
HAHAHA, surely you realize that it doesn't exactly work that way. A US dollar is worth twelve peso's, it doesn't mean you can buy a dollars worth of stuff in Mexico for the Mexican equivalent of a dime after you convert your currency.
Europeans have benefited from currency fluctuation and a weak dollar, but a pound was never the equivalent of a dollar, and a pound/dollar conversion of 1 pounds=2 dollar does not mean everything automatically costs 50% for a british citizen traveling here.
When I lived on the Canadian border and the US dollar = $1.30 Canadian,
you generally found that Canadian prices in (Can $) were 20-25% higher. There was a slight benefit, not an earthshattering one. Ditto in Mexico.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When I lived on the Canadian border and the US dollar = $1.30 Canadian,
you generally found that Canadian prices in (Can $) were 20-25% higher. There was a slight benefit, not an earthshattering one. Ditto in Mexico.
Well Canada (and Europe) is expensive regardless, mostly because of the taxes and the higher cost of living, and secondly because of the weak dollar.

Last edited by Dd714; 07-09-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,604 times
Quote:
Of course it does. I was in the US several times when the exchange rate was 2 to 1. I shopped using pounds and buying anything that cost $20 cost me the equivalent of about £10. If I charged items that cost $200 it would show up on my statement as roughly £100.

This is why I always wait to buy clothes and shoes until I visit the US. Why would I pay £40 for shoes in the UK when I can pay $50 in the US (£25)? Not the same now though as it's only $1.40ish per pound.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Of course it does. I was in the US several times when the exchange rate was 2 to 1. I shopped using pounds and buying anything that cost $20 cost me the equivalent of about £10. If I charged items that cost $200 it would show up on my statement as roughly £100.

This is why I always wait to buy clothes and shoes until I visit the US. Why would I pay £40 for shoes in the UK when I can pay $50 in the US (£25)? Not the same now though as it's only $1.40ish per pound.
Sweetheart, let me try to explain. Your logic is flawed, or much to simplified at least. The purchasing value of One pound english sterling has never been equal to one US dollar except by coincidence. They both float independent of each other. You can not buy items for 50% of it's value just because the currency exchange rate is 2 ot 1 of local currency vs. foreign currency. An american can not buy items for 10% of it's value in Mexico because one dollar = 10 pesos.
I'm sure things were indeed cheaper in the U.S., indeed maybe half off, due to a weak dollar (which is reflected in currency exchange rate fluctuations), lower taxes, and just general availability of cheaper product in the US.

And using your logic - hey you just need to travel to Vietnam. One English pound = about 30,000 dong. You will be rich there, right?

Last edited by Dd714; 07-09-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,604 times
Quote:
Sweetheart, let me try to explain. Your logic is flawed, or much to simplified at least. The purchasing value of One pound english sterling has never been equal to one US dollar except by coincidence. They both float independent of each other. You can not buy items for 50% of it's value just because the currency exchange rate is 2 ot 1 of local currency vs. foreign currency. An american can not buy items for 10% of it's value in Mexico because one dollar = 10 pesos.
I'm sure things were indeed cheaper in the U.S., indeed maybe half off, due to a weak dollar (which is reflected in currency exchange rate fluctuations), lower taxes, and just general availability of cheaper product in the US.

And using your logic - hey you just need to travel to Vietnam. One English pound = about 30,000 dong. You will be rich there, right?
No, sweetheart and it's British Sterling, not English. As I said when I buy something for $100 I pay £50 out of my UK account. Simple. You are arguing with my bank statement? It's 50% off all American items for me, not necessarily 50% off what I'd pay in the UK.

Excuse me, but I lived in Uganda for 2 years and used pounds to supplement my income. The pound was worth 3,200 shillings. Yes, I was very, very rich there.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It's 50% off all American items for me, not necessarily 50% off what I'd pay in the UK.
But it's not 50% off your purchase because the exchange rate is 2:1 (as you stated in your original post), no more than what you buy in Uganda is 98% off because the exchange rate is 3,500:1. Foreign currency is not pegged against each other (except a few countries are pegged agaisnt the US dollar or Euro however). A pound has never been equal to a dollar. If you bought an item in uganda for 3,500 shillings you can't sell it in UK for 3,500 pounds. And you don't convert 10 pounds and go buy a car in Uganda for 35,000 shillings do you? I think you are trying to clarify your original statement, because you have GOT to know this. Things are cheaper in the US because of taxes, cheaper goods...and the favorable currency FLUCTUATION not the exchange rate itself. Things are cheaper in Uganda because of the very low cost of living.

I am not discussing your bank account but your original statement (that purchases are 50% off due to a 2:1 conversion factor) and my above statement - tell me you realize all the above. Lets just chalk this up to a misunderstanding because you cannot be that naive.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,830 times
Quote:

In one sentence: 1 GBP will go further in the UK than 1 USD will in the US. I've found this to be true in London, obviously the most expensive large UK city.

Although the exchange rates definitely have helped American exports to Europe, it is not quite the same effect as 50%. I'd say I feel sorry for the people who thought they were getting 50% off but if they can afford to jet across the Atlantic for a "sale" than they don't even need that sale to begin with.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,340,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
In one sentence: 1 GBP will go further in the UK than 1 USD will in the US. I've found this to be true in London, obviously the most expensive large UK city.

Although the exchange rates definitely have helped American exports to Europe, it is not quite the same effect as 50%. I'd say I feel sorry for the people who thought they were getting 50% off but if they can afford to jet across the Atlantic for a "sale" than they don't even need that sale to begin with.
It depends on the good in question.

Almost all things are cheaper in real terms in the U.S. than in the U.K. The degree to which things are cheaper varies with the type of product. In particular, I have found electronic goods of all types to not only be much more expensive in the U.K, but in all of continental Europe: flat screen TVs, digital cameras, etc. Also, ATVs tend to cost more in Europe, and I believe boats as well. As a result of this and the denser population, boat and ATV use, as well as that of several other hobby items, seems to be rarer in Europe than in the U.S.; this also might be preferential. I have the intuition that most Europeans, at least Southern Europeans, prefer to spend their free time drinking coffee or wine or in the park with friends, etc., rather than engaging in their hobbies of choice.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Quote:
I was in Edinburgh yesterday visiting the castle. We joined a guided walk and aside from my Scottish dh, our Uganda friend, and one guy from England, the rest of this large group were Americans.

While walking around this huge and very crowded castle well more than half of the accents I heard were American. I won't say it's because they were louder as I heard plenty of loud Europeans and Asians.

When I lived in the US I was just a secretary at a state university. I accrued my time by the month, but would usually combine my time off with holidays. I had a month off a year and usually took vacations in 2 week time slots. No problem.

No one has pointed out that most foreigners currency goes farther in the US. For quite a few years the British pound was worth $2, so everything in the US was the equivalent of 1/2 off. I knew of many people in the UK who took short trips to NYC just to go shopping during that time.
When I lived in the US I was a secretary at a state university.

Sweetheart? What the hell century did that come out of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or