U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,296,090 times
Reputation: 16497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I've tried and it's not easy given the combination of Spanglish, a ton of dialects from the Caribbean and South/Central America, and people who speak a sort of "pidgin Spanish." I don't understand them at all!

I need to learn to speak in a business setting, so proper grammar, vocabulary and syntax is critical. Although speaking in the street is somewhat helpful (and I do) it's not what I really need.
You are going to have to learn to deal with Spanish of all dialects if you want to work in a business setting with Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,296 posts, read 4,672,981 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Also which Spanish? Latin American, Spain, etc. I believe the differences between what you would hear in Mexico vs Spain is pronounciation only. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Grammar and words are different too.
In school my Spanish teachers were Americans, Cubans, Chileans and Spaniards, so I am accustomed to certain accents and vocabulary but not others.

The people I deal with at work are Ecuadorians and Columbians, mostly. There are a few Mexicans. In the street I find more Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, whom I have some trouble understanding because of their use of slang and Spanglish. I have some trouble understanding the Mexican accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
Reputation: 13024
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I've tried and it's not easy given the combination of Spanglish, a ton of dialects from the Caribbean and South/Central America, and people who speak a sort of "pidgin Spanish." I don't understand them at all!

I need to learn to speak in a business setting, so proper grammar, vocabulary and syntax is critical. Although speaking in the street is somewhat helpful (and I do) it's not what I really need.
Exactly. New York "Spanish" is pretty much Puerto Rican "Spanglish" and is a very far stretch from true Spanish. Also Spanish has many dialects. Try to watch someone from Spain communicate with someone from Chile--it's like someone from Cajun country in the US trying to communicate with someone from Birmingham in the UK. They're both speaking English, but such different dialects that they can't understand each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM
 
28,293 posts, read 39,992,092 times
Reputation: 36820
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
What's with this sweetheart crap?

Let me explain it to you, honey, since you seem to be very confused.

Century? - the last one, the 20th, ended in 2000 which is when I left the US.

State University - stated funded, not private

Secretary - my job title was principal secretary, do you need further explanation of my duties.

Understand, sweetheart?
Wow, you really get your panties in a bunch when you totally misunderstand a post, don't you?

My apologies for trying to support you in some small manner. Try rereading what I wrote and realize the difference between your description of your job and mine.

And perhaps get the point that I am not commenting on you but the person who thought it was okay to call you sweetheart.

I'll pass from now on on, honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,008 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Personally, I will never understand all the people who claim they have no desire to see other countries and cultures. No curiousity about this huge world outside your own borders with so many different kinds of people and cultures and landscapes and foods? This has nothing to do with having the money to do it, but having no desire to do it.

I don't unlimited funds to visit every country I want to see, but have done extensive travelling. Certainly opens your eyes.

I have lived in California all my life. I have ZERO interest in traveling to other countries. Let me explain why. The ends do not justify the means. A 10 to 20 hour flight? Thousands of dollars spent on hotels and flight and activities? I don’t think so. Just to see different geography and culture? In my opinion, it’s just not worth the misery of sitting on a plane going crazy. The hassle of packing, spending money on hotels, over rated trendy activities that I can easily do in my hometown or within driving distance. I see culture ALL DAY LONG! Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and honestly, I don’t feel comfortable with any of their cultures, it’s not me or my style! Why should I subject myself to something I don’t like or need? So why would I want to travel a million miles away from my comfort zone to be uncomfortable and spend thousands to do it? Just because I’m not comfortable with it doesn’t mean I don’t respect it. A lot of these “world travelers” who claim to have epiphanies about “perspective” need to open up their minds just a tad bit more and realize that a great perspective in life is not limited just to world travelers. As an American, I don’t criticize other cultures in the world and say “you need to travel to America more to gain perspective!” in fact I say do whatever it is you do as long as you don’t force your culture or agenda on to me. For people who seek out traveling and other cultures, by all means do it, you love it, so do it. Equally and just as valid, I tend to hate it and find it to be extremely inconvenient, exhausting and financially draining. My point is why is it so hard for world travelers with “perspective” to accept or care that Americans, not all, don’t like traveling over seas? Who gives a ****. To each their own. Individualism, everyone is different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,962,104 times
Reputation: 13245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron J. View Post
I have lived in California all my life. I have ZERO interest in traveling to other countries. Let me explain why. The ends do not justify the means. A 10 to 20 hour flight? Thousands of dollars spent on hotels and flight and activities? I don’t think so. Just to see different geography and culture? In my opinion, it’s just not worth the misery of sitting on a plane going crazy. The hassle of packing, spending money on hotels, over rated trendy activities that I can easily do in my hometown or within driving distance. I see culture ALL DAY LONG! Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and honestly, I don’t feel comfortable with any of their cultures, it’s not me or my style! Why should I subject myself to something I don’t like or need? So why would I want to travel a million miles away from my comfort zone to be uncomfortable and spend thousands to do it? Just because I’m not comfortable with it doesn’t mean I don’t respect it. A lot of these “world travelers” who claim to have epiphanies about “perspective” need to open up their minds just a tad bit more and realize that a great perspective in life is not limited just to world travelers. As an American, I don’t criticize other cultures in the world and say “you need to travel to America more to gain perspective!” in fact I say do whatever it is you do as long as you don’t force your culture or agenda on to me. For people who seek out traveling and other cultures, by all means do it, you love it, so do it. Equally and just as valid, I tend to hate it and find it to be extremely inconvenient, exhausting and financially draining. My point is why is it so hard for world travelers with “perspective” to accept or care that Americans, not all, don’t like traveling over seas? Who gives a ****. To each their own. Individualism, everyone is different!
Wow, that's some first CD post.

I certainly agree that people who consider themselves *enlightened* would do well to work on their own personal growth instead of shining their own halos and pointing their fingers at others they may find wanting.

I also agree that many Americans admire our tradition of individualism.

I think the reason that so many people wonder about Americans and foreign travel are complex--but a few stick out.

Some people are concerned for the future--not just their own personal future, but ours as a country and even a planet. To travel is to reach out, to deliberately stay home looks like giving up.

Of course those of us trekking the Inca Trail or sipping vino at the Piazza Navona might not exactly be saving the world. And we really do not need to be giving ourselves a self-congratulatory on the back, let alone accusing others of being small-minded. There are plenty of world travelers who blithely go from place to place picking up nothing new but a t-shirt and check-mark on their list of geographic accomplishments.

However, while worlds cannot meet worlds, people can meet people.
Little by little, committed travelers can help our country be a positive force among other nations, and explore new and different ideas. Sometimes we even bring those ideas home, and act upon them.

Americans treasure freedom of speech along with individualism. I celebrate the fact that you, Aaron J, are able to make your point known.

(But a I gotta tell ya, we don't do any "over-rated trendy activities" when we travel.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM
 
367 posts, read 954,601 times
Reputation: 259
Lots of interesting points. I love to travel, because I get to see different places - my main treat is different nature and climates, but I also enjoy seeing different cultures. However, if you are not interested in experiencing this, then I suppose there's really no need to travel.

As mentioned earlier; For many Europeans, going to Greece/Italy/Spain is not any more drastic than going to Florida for a week on the beach.
I know, because I lived and grew up in Europe. And I definitely appreciate all the different places and cultures and things to see within the United States.
The 4-6 weeks of vacation does help too... I miss that!
Pretty much all aspects of travel are cheaper in the US as well (hotels, rental cars, etc).

But I hope that those of you that would like to travel to Europe don't have any ungrounded fear! Most people speak decent english (Germany, France and perhaps areas around the mediterranean the exception, at least with the older population). Many things will be quite a bit different, you're not going to find your eggs and bacon for breakfast except maybe in England, and many areas have all (incl grocery) stores closed on Sundays and after 8 pm. But hey, that's why you're going right, to experience a different culture!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,423,177 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron J. View Post
I see culture ALL DAY LONG! Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and honestly, I don’t feel comfortable with any of their cultures, it’s not me or my style!!


Do you think the culture of Vietnamese shopping at the market in Phan Thiet is the same as the culture of Vietnamese driving their Escalade to the WalMart in Modesto? Or your dentist's Vietnamese dental assistant? Seen one, seen them all?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 13,440,779 times
Reputation: 4849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think the culture of Vietnamese shopping at the market in Phan Thiet is the same as the culture of Vietnamese driving their Escalade to the WalMart in Modesto? Or your dentist's Vietnamese dental assistant? Seen one, seen them all?
Well, duh. Come on now. I had authentic Chinese food yesterday in my own town, had street tacos made by women from Mexico City and some of the best Indian food, made by people from India. That takes care of ever visiting those countries, my quest for cultural experience has been satisfied!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: nyc
217 posts, read 500,996 times
Reputation: 169
Speaking only for myself and friends/family I know. They seem to have no desire to take in another culture. It is not wrong because you can do whatever your heart desires. I have tried to plan trips with family and it never pans out.

If I never traveled I would have never seen Roman ruines, Turkish culture (City of Troy), watched a soccer game in Barcelona (top 5 coolest things ive ever done), never would have driven on the Autobahn or would have seen the Eiffel Tower or relaxed on beautiful Greek islands just to name some not all.

Some are OK with not seeing those things, but I have always had an attraction and sort of get a 'HIGH' off seeing how others live in the world.

My favorite part of traveling is doing 'what the locals do'. It gives you a different outlook on life. In all honesty I like seeing historic monuments/places. Not much history to see here in the US. We dont have anything thats 500/1000/2000 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top