U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Personally, I will never understand all the people who claim they have no desire to see other countries and cultures. No curiousity about this huge world outside your own borders with so many different kinds of people and cultures and landscapes and foods? This has nothing to do with having the money to do it, but having no desire to do it.

I don't unlimited funds to visit every country I want to see, but have done extensive travelling. Certainly opens your eyes.
ďA friend from Iowa once joined me in Thailand. When she told her co-workers about it, their response was ďThailand? Where is that? Why would you go there? If you want a beach, go to Florida.ĒĒ
Iíve been reading a lot of these articles and statements such as this seem to pop up in most of them. All of these articles also have something else in common: they never answer the question. Why would you want to go there?
Personally, I find the travelers who assume everyone likes to travel to be the ignorant ones. Personally, I do not dislike travel and I am aware of there being a whole great big world outside of America. But I choose not to spend my time or money traveling to foreign places because what is most important to me is right here at home: my family and friends. People are what matter to me. My people. And that is where I choose to invest my time and money. I would like to see some comments on why Americans should travel instead of listing reasons why they donít.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joany View Post
“A friend from Iowa once joined me in Thailand. When she told her co-workers about it, their response was “Thailand? Where is that? Why would you go there? If you want a beach, go to Florida.””...... what is most important to me is right here at home: my family and friends. ....People are what matter to me. My people. And that is where I choose to invest my time and money. I would like to see some comments on why Americans should travel instead of listing reasons why they don’t.
Hmm, yet another first-time CD-er in this thread--very interesting. Hmmm...
The "My people" phrase is a classic reason many stay home.
As to reasons why people should travel, I named a few a couple posts above this in post #156.
I will quote one of my favorite Americans, Mark Twain, who traveled quite a bit:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Speaking only for myself and friends/family I know. They seem to have no desire to take in another culture. It is not wrong because you can do whatever your heart desires. I have tried to plan trips with family and it never pans out.

If I never traveled I would have never seen Roman ruines, Turkish culture (City of Troy), watched a soccer game in Barcelona (top 5 coolest things ive ever done), never would have driven on the Autobahn or would have seen the Eiffel Tower or relaxed on beautiful Greek islands just to name some not all.

Some are OK with not seeing those things, but I have always had an attraction and sort of get a 'HIGH' off seeing how others live in the world.

My favorite part of traveling is doing 'what the locals do'. It gives you a different outlook on life. In all honesty I like seeing historic monuments/places. Not much history to see here in the US. We dont have anything thats 500/1000/2000 years old.
Gez, I think I know what you are getting at, (especially the soccer game!) the USA is a youngish country. However, there is quite a bit of history here, some of it quite old.
St Augustine, Florida was founded in 1565, and the first inhabitants of Santa Fe, New Mexico were there in 1050 to 1150. The island I live on is called the island of 8 flags because of its colorful history.
I don't think we need to be dismissive of our own country as a reason to travel overseas.
OTOH, I do think that when you get out of your comfort zone--out of your own culture--you can learn more about yourself and even your own place in the world.
It all depends on how much you want to reach out. Some do, some don't.
Emily Dickinson, who barely left her own home, (she did travel a bit when younger) became an accomplished poet.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away......

The introspective literary world is wonderful, but I also enjoy a more visceral journey.
I love "my people" and I love swimming at the beach here in Florida, admiring manatees and dolphins, but have fond memories of swimming in Lake Atitlan in Guatemala or bathing in the hot springs in Saturnia, Italy.
The people I met in those places were just people like me--but different. We were interested in each other and shared a couple hours together.
It was just a moment in time, but IMHO those moments are valuable.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 PM

217 posts, read 500,321 times
Bluewillow, you get what its all about. I hope my comment didnt come off as bashing our great country. I just dont consider US travel as traveling. Does that make any sense?? I can get there any time I want to. Traveling far far from home is always an adventure and the best part for me is actually being 'the outsider'.

I loved how in several European cities dinner is eaten no earlier than 10PM. First night in Spain I ate at midnight and thought that was the coolest thing. Traveling through eastern Europe and finding out that shaking your head means yes and not no. That was funny. Figuring out bus and train routes and just exploring is awesome.

Travel is good for you and your soul....at least I believe that.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,177,972 times
The travel bug is not something that is related to people from any given country. Imho this is a personal thing, to each their own.
If one does not like to travel, that is fine with me. I don't think people "should" go overseas or not, it is not my call, it's theirs.

I like to travel bc I want to have cool stories/remember fun (oftentimes funny) stuff when I get old, I want to try new food, visit new places, meet new people, speak other languages, etc. There is an endless list of reasons why I love to travel.

As for being worth the time, money and effort I think this is a subjective thing as well. I think some of my trips were worth every penny, some were not. But they were an experience, anyway. It's nice to help other travelers, as I was also helped when I wanted to travel somewhere for the first time and asked people who had been there before.

What is a little hard for me to understand is someone who has never tried it and says "I don't like it, it is not worth it." But it is their opinion, and that is ok with me.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The island I live on is called the island of 8 flags because of its colorful history.
When we were there (and we are still kicking ourselves for not getting together with you then) we took a boat tour and learned about the area and it's history. Fascinating.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
This is the travel forum. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we like to travel. Not sure why travel bashing is even an issue here. It's like going to the dog forum and telling them that dogs are stupid and why would anyone own one. Just makes no sense, imo.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Quote:
I would like to see some comments on why Americans should travel instead of listing reasons why they donít.
Travel makes you more wise, and less happy. That's just one of the reasons, I believe, more Americans don't travel. It can also get very expensive, and foreign travel is a lot of work, which doesn't appeal to lazy, risk-adverse,
adventure-adverse Americans.

How it can become expensive? You've seen the Rockies, you're awed by them. Then you read about the Andes mountains which are higher. You go to the Andes Mountains, and then? Oh gee! The Rockies weren't so awesome afterall. Then? You run off to Nepal to see the Himalayans, which are even higher than the Andes. Then? Oh gee! Those Andes Mountains wern't so awesome afterall! And will you ever be able to admire the Rockies again, let alone the Appalachian mountains?

As I get older, I now force myself to take at trip to somewhere I haven't been to before, I grit my teeth as I pack my bags and rush off to the Airport, grit my teeth the whole trip over there. Then once I get there, and I experience it, I'm everso glad I forced myself to go. Don't trust your emotions when it comes to foreign travel! Override your emotions, get on that plane, grit your teeth, and go, go go! You'll never regret it afterwards!

I'm now preparing myself for the chore/hard work of going to Colombia. I'll probably cry all the way to the Airport, cry on the plane all over the way over there, but once it's over, I'll have smiles/memories to last me til my dying day.

I've seen all 50 states. Done deal. What else is there?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
I would like to see some comments on why Americans should travel instead of listing reasons why they don’t.
Because one's ignorance should not be the thing he's most proud of. Americans are abysmally ignorant about the rest of the world, and seem to wallow in their ignorance. Americans beam with smug pride when they say "I don't know anything about that, and I don't want to know", and they have nothing but contempt for those who "think" they know something.

Seeing how people shop in the world's largest shopping mall does not quite match the mind-expanding experience of seeing how people carry their family's drinking water in jugs on top of their heads several miles every day.

I've learned that when I come back from a trip, nobody ever asks me anything about where I've been. Apparently, because they lack a broad enough worldview to be able to even ask a question any deeper than "Just where is Africa, anyway?"

My wife is a shameless enthusiast of folk kitchens, and when traveling, she is embarrassingly bold at insinuating herself into people's kitchens, where she loves to establish rapport with the women of the household, in spite of not knowing a single word of their language. Learning to cook grubs and worms over burning charcoal on the dirt floor. This has given her a personal depth a great deal more inspiring and satisfying than sitting in the kitchen back home, listening for hours to her chain-smoking alcoholic mother telling her the same things over and over again.

Among those of us who possess the quality of curiosity, that is why we travel.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 PM

209 posts, read 492,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As I get older, I now force myself to take at trip to somewhere I haven't been to before, I grit my teeth as I pack my bags and rush off to the Airport, grit my teeth the whole trip over there. Then once I get there, and I experience it, I'm everso glad I forced myself to go. Don't trust your emotions when it comes to foreign travel! Override your emotions, get on that plane, grit your teeth, and go, go go! You'll never regret it afterwards!

I'm now preparing myself for the chore/hard work of going to Colombia. I'll probably cry all the way to the Airport, cry on the plane all over the way over there, but once it's over, I'll have smiles/memories to last me til my dying day.
Seems odd to dread something so much that you have to force yourself to do it, grit your teeth while you prepare for it, and cry all the way there only to be glad you've done it. Sounds more like going to the dentist than traveling overseas.

Scott

Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I've seen all 50 states. Done deal. What else is there?
Yea, if I ever get to the point where I cry because I "have" to travel, I think that's a sign it's time to stop. Can't imagine that happening anytime soon! The only emotion I experience before any trip is excitement!

And I've seen 48 of the 50 states, all in the last 3 years. I'm only in my 20s, so I don't consider that a huge accomplishment for myself personally since it was easily done in such a short time. What else is there? An entire world filled with amazing things.

Last edited by MAK802; 07-27-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or